- by Pol
I will be pushing this year to finish our database and the merge. For now you will find overview of all maps submitted to CH in this article.
Our old "Map Page" still serves well but you cannot log in and rate, as the old site is permanently disabled. The rest is on this page.
In menu were added direct links to our "Campaigns" and "Other Features", to be more on eyes.
If you are looking for something use "Tags", as our content is tagged, in addition to categories. Check Top or Main menu for them.
As for future MapdDB, let me know, if you have any refined idea for sorting or searching. There will be marked map version, size, author, name, contact (if available), number of players (human/computer), teams (Co-op, AI, No), Language, Win and Lose conditions, description, download, hits and rating. And comments.
Happy gaming! Because even inspite of all these new mobile games, the original H2+ line is still more fun. Especially HotA spurred lots of attention, finally. And HDMod with SP_plugin. Or Verokster Open GL wrappers.
H4 The Unity campaign. Unity project is revolving around original texts from Terry Ray, written for Heroes IV. Which is Unity Team bringing to life. Currently the first map of the campaign, "The Isle of Order" is ready and in need of testing. Next planned maps are Isle of Life, Isle of Nature, Isle of Chaos and Isle of Death. Visit the linked thread to download it. Unity Project is striking for audience!
Legends of the Ancients with Quantomas AI have been updated and are currently available as a part of his H5AI_31n_beta.zip.That include fixes of some game breaking bugs in books 1&2. We therefore, humbly recommend to play them again. Of course, they will be made available as a separated books download from official LotA pages later on, waiting on Quantomas' split.
For newcomers, Legends of the Ancients features good old heroes from Might & Magic universe in the world of Ashan. Of course, expect Sandro and Solmyr and the kind king Archibald, to save the world. (In Book 4, which is not yet written) But the full story to read on is here, available as pdf, with some nice art. Read it, play it and leave us your comment.
New Maps by Yurian Stonebow and MadMax:
H3C: A Quest for no Mortal by MadMax (HoP) | M | 1 Human
H3C: Imperial Days by Yurian Stonebow | XL | 5/3
H3C: Mutare's Apprentice (Allies) by Yurian Stonebow | L | 8 Humans
H3C: Prime Suspect by MadMax (HoP) | L | 4 Humans
H3C: Tolkien's War of the Ring by Yurian Stonebow | XL | 6/2
H3C: Viking Invasion 1.3 (Allies) by Yurian Stonebow | XL | 7/1
Maps Sent For Testing:
H3_HotA: The Hobbit by Bilbo Baggins by PatrickAce | XXL | 1 Human
H4_WoW: Archmages by Kuron | XL | 1-6 Humans, no Allies
H4_WoW: Stone Soup RPG by Aranei | XL | 1 Human
H3C: It's time for rebellion! by Sensai | XL | 1 Human vs 6 AI teamed up
H5_ToTE: Demonic Defense by mctronic | N | 1 Human vs 4 AI
H3_HotA: Surrea: The Shift by Echo | XL | 8 Humans
H5_ToTE: Battle for Crimea by Milos Gajic | N | 3 Humans
H5_ToTE: The Initiation by mctronic | S | 1 Human vs 1 AI
H4_WoW: Maximus by NATSSIRK | XL | 6 Humans
H7TbF: The Hunger Games Map by Antalyan | L | 6 Humans
H5.5: The Keymaster by Silentine | XL | 6 Humans
H3C: Kill 'em All (Allies) by Adam Simms | XL | 3 Humans vs 3 AI
H3C: Hold the Line by Sachertorte | S | 2 Humans
H7TbF: Dragonpass by Sandmean87 | L | 6 Humans
H3_HotA: Blushing Tide by AsJo | XL | 8
H3_HotA: Founderling Ventures by AsJo | XL | 8
H3_HotA: Plight of Conquest by AsJo | XL | 8
- by Pol
We will focus on what happened in this month and what wasn't summoned on our table yet.
First goes fheroes2 project by fheroes2 Resurrection team. Who work with constant passion to get to the 1.0 milestone. This time, release 0.9.1, they added:
- Instant battles
- Upgraded their AI to be more 'craftier and smarter'
- View Word Spell
- Easy units splitting by a few mouse clicks
- Another part of campaing
Heroes Orchestra presents new arrangement, Battle Theme II from Heroes IV
Myself I remember listening to Heroes IV. soundtrack again and again for almost a year. Always enthralling, always yours. Opera music.
This is a small Heroes like game, with it's own engine and simplified graphic. You can take for pay what you want. Take a look here. We have been alerted about the game by Darmani, here, thanks for it!
- Random map generation from 25 map types
- 6 factions, each with 7 different creatures + upgrades
- 43 unique creature abilities
- Additional nonplayable creatures
- Real-time combat
- Give orders and change stances - or just watch!
- Procedural town tech trees
- Unique town perks as your town levels up
- Level up your heroes
- 28 unique skills to level up
- Challenging but fair AI opponents
- 53 spells
- 120 artifacts
- Unique artifact sets
- ~30 adventure objects
- True to the original gameplay
- Tweaks to gameplay, like the infirmary system
What says Darmani about the game:
"When they say "based on", that's an understatement. It has the same 7 resources as HoMM, units spawn in a castle on day 1 of every 7 day week, there are treasure chests that give gold or experience, and many of the adventure map objects are identical to ones from HoMM (Fountain, Rally Flag, Idol of Fortune). The town mechanics are most similar to HoMM VI, with a "town level" that increments when you build enough, unlocking more buildings (hope I'm remembering HoMM VI correctly). Main difference is the real-time combat, of course, though there are also differences in the magic system, and the "hospital mechanic" by which some of your lost creatures will very slowly become available to hire back at the castle.
It doesn't come with instructions, and, on my machine, had a problem that the mouse's hitbox wasn't under the cursor (meaning I thought many buttons were broken and unusable), and that tooltips appeared pretty far from what I was mousing over (meaning I initially had no idea the strength of what I was fighting). Once I got the hang of it though, it was a pretty cool game.
I don't know how much longevity it has (I'm finding the real-time combat rather shallow --- past the early game, I usually just watch my army fight by itself and win with no casualties), but it's an interesting twist on the HoMM series. One thing that impresses me game-design wise is that it manages to make the obelisk/buried treasure mechanic actually fun. No hunting down obelisks all across the map and then spending days doing nothing but digging in some forgotten corner of the map. Instead, each obelisk gives you a flavorful paragraph like "Ki-g Ragna- left his treas-re som-where n-ear the mino-r shrine" you walk over to the nearest minor shrine, and watch as your "Dig for treasure" button turns from gray to black when you get close enough.
It's pay-what-you-want right now. I've played about 5 hours the last 2 days. Still buggy (e.g.: the win-condition doesn't work; it just keeps going), and has a terrible AI (I let it run around an area for weeks....and it still never reclaimed a Sawmill I took). Still, I had fun, and I'll be giving him some of my money."
- by Pol
Welcome. Hope each of you is doing relatively well.
With this Newsletter, I’m making a couple changes. First, this will be last update on subscriber numbers. As to the reason why, see Questions, Answers & Comments.
Last Newsletter: ~2725.
This Newsletter: ~2900.
+ If you would like to support Greg with FANSTRATICS, subscribe here. +
Second, I’m going to begin talking ‘features’.
As for this month's Troop concept sketch, I give you the Medusa Vanguard. For those of you who want to see Justin actually render the drawing, you can watch a VOD of his Twitch stream here...
Also, a quick shoutout to Tim Lang and Aeolwyn’s Legacy. Tim and I both worked at New World Computing (NWC), but our paths rarely crossed. However, I do have one story.
HoMM3 was winding down. HoMM3 Armageddon’s Blade and Might and Magic 7 were both ramping up. Frequently, when a project needed additional staff, the first place we looked was Quality Assurance (QA). Jennifer Bullard and a couple of HoMM3 Map Makers asked me to try and bring Tim onto the team. Subsequently, I went into a meeting with Paul Rattner (MM7 Design Lead) where we talked personnel. At the time, we had already solidified our teams, with a couple exceptions. Tim was one of those exceptions. When I told Paul, I wanted Tim on the HoMM3 team, he flatly said, “I talked to Tim. He doesn’t want to work on Heroes. He wants to work on Might and Magic.” I must admit to feeling oddly rejected. Tim was the first person I’d encountered who didn’t want to work on HoMM3. Regardless, Tim went on to work on MM7, MM9, and more. Ironically, Tim and I have chatted more in the past few months, than the entirety of my time at NWC. ;-)
This month, I have seven initial questions, followed by the final part of my lengthy interview with Tavern of Might and Magic.
Until next time.
Fanstratics Game Director & Designer
- by Pol
World Championship in Heroes 3 has started!
Four different eliminations - Poland, Russia, Ukraine & Belarus, and the 'rest of the world' (representing all countries not named before).
Do you feel overwhelmed by the tournament format? Worried that you aren't strong enough to participate? You are not alone, there are many who have similar doubts - all the more reason to overcome them! Also, it feels like a good time to remind you that the more players sign up for a given elimination, the more places in the final will be awarded to that elimination. So every player, no matter their skill or experience, can help their country.
You can find more info in two places.
First is the main website of the whole tournament, and the second is HotA discord - official communications channel of the tournament.
- by CH - Administrator
registration for the Kings online tournament of Heroes of Might and Magic 4 opens!
King's league leader: Brennus Whiskey
aigle édenté (e-mail: aigle_edente[at]aol[dot]fr)
Game version — Heroes IV Equilibris 3.51. Or 3.55 if both players agree. Any other game modifications are prohibited.
You can be registered via e-mail to Coordinator or post in this theme. Please type usefull indications:
Country and Time zone (UTC):
Time for game:
18th February : publication on forums ;
19-23rd February : sending the official invitation mail. Registration will open, the Kings tournament related post will be gradually created, tournament maps will be decided ;
19th March : the player registration will close ;
20th March : tournament starts.
Each tour of playoff must be played during 21 days (3 weeks, 3 weekends).
There will be no money prize this year.
See you on the battlefield!
the Kings league site : http://h4kings.ucoz.pl/
- by Pol
The release date was pushed to late August (August 24, 2021). According to the game’s producer, Denis Maltzev, the game is “complete and playable”, but they want more time to make sure it’s the best it can possibly be. In fully he states:
“We are currently at a stage where the game is complete and playable, but we need more time to finish playtesting, fixing, polishing, and postponing launch will give us the precious months to balancing phase, much needed for such important project for us, with its ambitious, open world, its complex narrative, deep turn-based tactical and RPG mechanics.”
- by Pol
Welcome. Hope each of you is doing relatively well. Greetings to those of you finding your way here from...
Here’s the subscriber update...
Last Newsletter: ~2550.
This Newsletter: ~2725.
This month's Troop concept sketch is the Bile Worm.
This month, I have five initial questions, followed by part four of the lengthy interview I did with Tavern of Might and Magic.
Until next time.
Fanstratics Game Director & Designer
(Questions, Answers & Comments)
Fanstratics Faction #3: Thornwood.
This faction rounds out the three ‘good’ cultures. Elfin in origin, the Thornwood inhabit tribal towns throughout the enchanted Spring Lands. Where most cultures resist nature’s merciless cycles of birth, life, transformation, and death, the Thornwood zealously embrace them. If you are familiar with HoMM3’s ‘Rampart’, you should find comfort in playing this fierce, wild, and virtuous faction. Representing the Thornwood is the Elfin Sharpshooter, which can be viewed in the Fanstratics Gallery.
When HoMM3 was in development, did the team think Eagle Eye would be a viable or competitive secondary skill? I've seen players say it was meant to be a bad one to balance out with the good ones, but things like the boosting artifacts, a few pre-made Seer Huts and Witches high learning chance tell me otherwise.
Regarding Eagle Eye... it was a holdover from HoMM2. While we knew it was a ‘lesser’ skill, we didn’t consider it ‘useless’. In hindsight, I should have cut it, but like I said... it was a legacy skill from HoMM2, and there was a desire to maintain some consistency between HoMM2 and HoMM3. So, to directly answer your question, we never intentionally created ‘bad’ skills to balance out ‘good’ skills.
- by Pol
we are back armed with armload of news from our favourite inkeeper!
Well, the pubs are closed over here.
- From now on we are hosting Rodril's patch for MMMerge. For anyone longing to play Might & Magic 6,7,8 in one go polished and modded you have it now served to be even easier.
The most actual instructions by cthscr can be found here.
AB Walkthrough - Maker of Sorrows
- ithacor continues in filling gap with Armageddon Blade Walkthroughs, we are getting closer to the end of the main campaing with "Maker of Sorrows".
Read it all to keep an advantage or just to perfectly save some time.
Hope Squirr vocal for Heroes music
- If you love Opera music, like me, I recommend to listen to some vocals from HopeSquirr. Guaranteed you know that music from your heroic adventures, but this is very sound execution which you shall not miss.
Start it on SoundCloud and listen to her beautiful voice.
If you know SoundCloud, it will continue with other artist in the same mood, so your relax session can be made to be a very long.
At last we can cover even such unlikely situations, that you would have been bored or manage to snap a free time. To divert your attention to our old but famous Bestiary. Where you can read the background of many creatures from Angel to Devil from our history/mythology.
Long live the Might and Magic!
- by Pol
Hope each of you is doing relatively well. Happy New Year and welcome to Fanstratics Newsletter #5 (January 2020).
This month's Troop concept sketch is the Troll Witch. (Colorized by CH)
This month, I have seven initial questions, including a COVID wrap-up, followed by part three of the lengthy interview I did with Tavern of Might and Magic.
Until next time.
Fanstratics Game Director & Designer
- by Pol
CelestialHeavens wish you happy New Year, crowned with success and health. There's short resume what happend in the land of Might & Magic and related parts:
- (KB2) Planned release of Kings Bounty 2 was shifted to March 2021, it will be different one, with emphasis laid to cinematic story line.
- (H3) Horn of the Abyss suffered grief lose of Docent Piccolan, a true reneissance man and leader of the project. Our condolences goes to his family and friends. Due to this unhappy event, Factory most likely won't be released at the end of the year as planned - but they may come with something else.
- (H7) Heroes project Wryn Pendragon: Umbramancer was cancelled but don't worry as it was released as Community Mod, The Shadows over Ashan (TSoA). The Athmos weather systems is still available in separate download.
- (H5) Legends of the Ancients have Book 3. And you are advised to play Book 1 & Book 2 and as last to install Book 3 and play just it. Quantomas is working on fixing that and also to employ here his new dreadful AI. The project homepage is here.
- (Ubisoft) Might and Magic Heroes Online ended. Elemental Guardians out of development
- (Ubisoft) The other ones are still living, and as of Era of Chaos is going they have Christmas - New Year Events, knowing Ubisoft it will be alike in other titles.
- Heroes Orchestra made two nice last year online arrangments: The Dungeon Arrangment and Snow Theme from H2 and ask for help, you know they cannot make concerts in these times. So I'm resending their links to donate and merch (music CD or Heroes T-Shirt).
- MadMax did outstanding job with video interviews featuring Tim Lang (Aeolwyn's Legacy developed by Dungeonbytes), Michael Wolf (Heroes 3 Level Designer) and Carl Toftfelt (Songs of Contest, developed by Lavapotion), you can find them all here at our YT account.
- Verokster did one more GL Wrapper for Heroes IV, glory to him! As a reminder his previous wrappers (H1-3) can be also downloaded here. His Heroes 3 GL Wrapper is already part of HD Mod.
- (H3) Era reached version 3.2. More about this WoG surpasser here. All ERM help included.
- (H4) H4ResourceEditor moved a leaps forward, if you are H4 modder try that!
- (MM) M&M 6,7,8 merge based on mm8 engine continually grows and have recently new graphic assets from jmaster
- (CIV) If you are Civilization fan, you may also check for H3 and H2 mods where Blake participated and ask him questions. To my knowlede H3 is done and H2 is work in progress.
- (H2) Free Heroes of Might and Magic II Resurrection is thirsting for life, very recently updated by sirDranik (This is a different mod than Free Heroes 2 Enhanced by ciplogic, which we informed about 2yrs ago and it's on hold, waiting for saviour.)
- (CH) is having its own Discord.
We hope that 2021 will be fruitfull for all, bringing new ideas and finished products for these who are making games, as well as for these playing and enhancing upon them.
Let your dreams guide you!
Page 4 of 198