Multiplayer for MMMerge [beta 14.01.2024/4]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 558
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Multiplayer for MMMerge [beta 14.01.2024/4]

Unread postby Rodril » 14 May 2023, 04:53

Hello. Some time ago i had nice experience of playing Divinity 2 in company of friends and got a temptation of implementing kind of cooperative into MM.
I had a good time working on it. Now, when it started to get a shape, I'd like to share. Mostly, I tested it only by launching two instances of the game on my local PC, also friend helped me to make one test iteration of entire storyline, but not the side quests. If you'll happen to try it out, please describe met issues here, or directly at gitlab.

Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac4SvMAA814
Playthrough of Mercs' team:
MM6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifdHcWA ... QD&pp=iAQB
MM7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSb4Pnj ... vhj6VtPCd_
MM8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGgodTG ... dnYnldajSw

Installation:
I've tested multiplayer only with base version of the merge, you can obtain it here.
1. Download multiplayer files: Latest 14.01.2024/4 or (in case of having troubles) Stable 23.07.2023/18
2. Extract content of 'mmmerge-multiplayer' folder into your game folder, replacing existing files.
Follow connection steps from demo video (link above).

Note: multiplayer should always be applied on top of base merge installation, so necessary files will be overwritten. Even after applying patch for the base, be sure to still reapply multiplayer on top of it.

If you use Windows 7 and encounter crash on startup:
1. Delete ExeMods folder within your game folder.
2. Replace it with one from this archive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hy2GGF ... sp=sharing

Please, consider it as experiment, rather than mod that will eventually be "released". It is kind of playable already, and i'd like to polish it. If you'll encounter bugs, please report them here or at gitlab: project does not have dedicated testing team behind it, thus fastest way to find out error's existence is by your reports.
For detailed multiplayer mechanics description, check readme.

Since 06.06.2023 multiplayer contains adapted version of sword swing mod
Last edited by Rodril on 27 Feb 2024, 09:56, edited 68 times in total.

User avatar
vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie
Posts: 1034
Joined: 19 Jun 2008

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 14 May 2023, 08:55

O.o wow
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1334
Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Contact:

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby Templayer » 14 May 2023, 10:39

I'm raising myself from the dead just to say: "holy f*ck!"

...and now back to sleep I go.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

User avatar
rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 75
Joined: 03 Jun 2020

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby rampage77t » 15 May 2023, 01:10

Rodril wrote: 14 May 2023, 04:53 Hello. Some time ago i had nice experience of playing Divinity 2 in company of friends and got a temptation of implementing kind of cooperative into MM.
I had a good time working on it. Now, when it started to get a shape, I'd like to share. Mostly, I tested it only by launching two instances of the game on my local PC, also friend helped me to make one test interation of entire storyline, but not the side quests. If you'll happen to try it out, please describe met issues here, or directly at gitlab.

Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac4SvMAA814

Installation:
I've tested multiplayer only with base version of the merge, you can obtain it here.
1. Download multiplayer files: https://gitlab.com/letr.rod/mmmerge/-/a ... player.zip
2. Extract content of 'mmmerge-multiplayer' folder into your game folder, replacing existing files.
Follow connection steps from demo video (link above).

Please, consider it as experiment, rather than mod that will eventually will be "released". It is kind of playable already, and i'd like to polish it, biggest issue at the moment is players, who would like to actively test it. I will add more thorough description of multiplayer mechanics soon.

Friend, the truth is something exceptional, with my brother we tried to try playing it but when one of the two press connect do not enter the host game, maybe we are doing something wrong, I would appreciate it if you could tell me in detail how to play a multiplayer game, since I am not English it is a little more difficult to understand well

Tomsod
Demon
Demon
Posts: 306
Joined: 31 Jul 2020

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby Tomsod » 15 May 2023, 05:29

Wow, this is bloody awesome! I used to think (and say) adding multiplayer to MM would be impossible, but I'll eat my words. Despite the numerous necessary restrictions, it looks perfectly playable! You've done an amazing job, once again. It's insane how much cool stuff is being made for the series these days.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 558
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 15 May 2023, 12:02

rampage77t wrote: 15 May 2023, 01:10 Friend, the truth is something exceptional, with my brother we tried to try playing it but when one of the two press connect do not enter the host game, maybe we are doing something wrong, I would appreciate it if you could tell me in detail how to play a multiplayer game, since I am not English it is a little more difficult to understand well
Hello.
1. Both players choose "Internet" in "Off/Lan/Internet" tumbler.
2. 1st player selects his role as Host, 2nd player selects his role as Client.
3. Players send their session codes to each other.
4. Host pasts client's session code into first line and clicks "On" in "Listen for connection". Host should not close multiplayer menu, untill client is connected.
5. Client pasts hosts's session code into "Host session code" field and clicks "Connect". There will be delay after each click. On successfull connection, multiplayer menu on client's machine will be closed automatically. If connection was not successfull, try to click "Connect" couple more times and wait around 10 seconds after.
6. Once Client is in game, host can close multiplayer menu.

Note: every time you switch multiplayer on and off, your session code is changed and you have to exchange session codes again.

Please, make another attempt, and if it won't establish connection again, send me "MMMergeLog.txt" from your game folder, from both your machines.

Also, according to relay server's console you are litterally on the other side of the globe from it, that might be the reason of long connection as well.

User avatar
rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 75
Joined: 03 Jun 2020

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby rampage77t » 16 May 2023, 02:52

Rodril wrote: 15 May 2023, 12:02
rampage77t wrote: 15 May 2023, 01:10 Friend, the truth is something exceptional, with my brother we tried to try playing it but when one of the two press connect do not enter the host game, maybe we are doing something wrong, I would appreciate it if you could tell me in detail how to play a multiplayer game, since I am not English it is a little more difficult to understand well
Hello.
1. Both players choose "Internet" in "Off/Lan/Internet" tumbler.
2. 1st player selects his role as Host, 2nd player selects his role as Client.
3. Players send their session codes to each other.
4. Host pasts client's session code into first line and clicks "On" in "Listen for connection". Host should not close multiplayer menu, untill client is connected.
5. Client pasts hosts's session code into "Host session code" field and clicks "Connect". There will be delay after each click. On successfull connection, multiplayer menu on client's machine will be closed automatically. If connection was not successfull, try to click "Connect" couple more times and wait around 10 seconds after.
6. Once Client is in game, host can close multiplayer menu.

Note: every time you switch multiplayer on and off, your session code is changed and you have to exchange session codes again.

Please, make another attempt, and if it won't establish connection again, send me "MMMergeLog.txt" from your game folder, from both your machines.

Also, according to relay server's console you are litterally on the other side of the globe from it, that might be the reason of long connection as well.



https://mega.nz/file/y0QxwBQS#ackNfI5Is ... 4TBnqBF6ZE


Unfortunately there was no luck, I am sending you the links of the MMMergeLog.txt files of both computers. Just in case I also comment how we installed the game, maybe we are using a version that does not correspond. We download the MM8 from Gog Galaxy, then we paste the MM678_Merged_2022_08_30_nomedia files into the MM8 folder, then we paste the MM678_Merged_media_2021 files and finally the mmmerge-multiplayer files, obviously replacing the existing files and previously deleting the Scripts folder.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 259
Joined: 19 Jul 2016

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby Eksekk » 16 May 2023, 12:16

Guys we have reached another level in modding. Multiplayer is simply unbelievable achievement. Congrats Rodril! :-D
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 558
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 16 May 2023, 16:51

rampage77t wrote: 16 May 2023, 02:52 Unfortunately there was no luck, I am sending you the links of the MMMergeLog.txt files of both computers. Just in case I also comment how we installed the game, maybe we are using a version that does not correspond. We download the MM8 from Gog Galaxy, then we paste the MM678_Merged_2022_08_30_nomedia files into the MM8 folder, then we paste the MM678_Merged_media_2021 files and finally the mmmerge-multiplayer files, obviously replacing the existing files and previously deleting the Scripts folder.
Thanks for the logs, it helps me a lot, because i did not have opportunitites for wide range of connection testings.
According to MMMergeLog-Equipo2.txt, machine was able to connect both STUN and relay, but machine owning MMMergeLog-Equipo1.txt could connect neither. STUN could be unavailable due to internet provider restrictions or firewall setup, i cannot guess, relay is supposed to be workaround for such cases, but it could not help because being too far. Only idea i have at the moment, is to use private network emulator and connect using LAN mode. I will make how-to video this week with usage of hamachi, if you are familiar with this program, try it yourself right away.

User avatar
rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 75
Joined: 03 Jun 2020

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby rampage77t » 16 May 2023, 18:28

Rodril wrote: 16 May 2023, 16:51
rampage77t wrote: 16 May 2023, 02:52 Unfortunately there was no luck, I am sending you the links of the MMMergeLog.txt files of both computers. Just in case I also comment how we installed the game, maybe we are using a version that does not correspond. We download the MM8 from Gog Galaxy, then we paste the MM678_Merged_2022_08_30_nomedia files into the MM8 folder, then we paste the MM678_Merged_media_2021 files and finally the mmmerge-multiplayer files, obviously replacing the existing files and previously deleting the Scripts folder.
Thanks for the logs, it helps me a lot, because i did not have opportunitites for wide range of connection testings.
According to MMMergeLog-Equipo2.txt, machine was able to connect both STUN and relay, but machine owning MMMergeLog-Equipo1.txt could connect neither. STUN could be unavailable due to internet provider restrictions or firewall setup, i cannot guess, relay is supposed to be workaround for such cases, but it could not help because being too far. Only idea i have at the moment, is to use private network emulator and connect using LAN mode. I will make how-to video this week with usage of hamachi, if you are familiar with this program, try it yourself right away.

Equipo1, then the problem is with my computer. I know hamachi very well since we were able to play several games thanks to the program, unfortunately we already tried it with hamachi and join by LAN but the same thing happens. I hope I can figure it out because this trilogy of Might and Magic games is our favorite, and we always dreamed of being able to play both at the same time and you made it happen.

User avatar
Mercs
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 61
Joined: 19 Sep 2020

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby Mercs » 17 May 2023, 10:01

It's an incredible achievement and truly a breakthrough in MM modding. Merge is awesome enough, but this is another level.
I will be following your progress.

How many players can participate at once?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 558
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 17 May 2023, 16:00

I found major issue in my network code, that occurs, when client machine is participant of more than one network. Unfortunately, i had very narrow variety of network setups on my testing machines, and i've overseen that one. I will fix it soon and post update here.
Mercs wrote: 17 May 2023, 10:01 How many players can participate at once?
There's no limit, rather correct question would be: what amount of players will cause lag beyond playable. Highest number of players i could get for testing is three. As host, you edit amount of players by adding/removing lines in clients table, i.e. max amount of players is equal to number of lines there.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 558
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 18 May 2023, 13:32

Issue, i mentioned in message above, should be resolved, files have been updated, link is the same.
rampage77t wrote: 16 May 2023, 18:28 Equipo1, then the problem is with my computer. I know hamachi very well since we were able to play several games thanks to the program, unfortunately we already tried it with hamachi and join by LAN but the same thing happens. I hope I can figure it out because this trilogy of Might and Magic games is our favorite, and we always dreamed of being able to play both at the same time and you made it happen.
I think, recent fixes are related to problem you encountered. If possible, update multiplayer mod with files from first post, make one more connection attempt and tell me outcome.

User avatar
ZanTheBonebreaker
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 2
Joined: 18 May 2023

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 18.05.2023]

Unread postby ZanTheBonebreaker » 18 May 2023, 19:54

This is an incredible feat! I can't wait for a full release :^)

I tested it with a group of 5 people and we did manage to sort most connection kinks out. However, we encountered one major problem:
When loading the game as a host, my character lost all levels and skills (yet kept exp), and the inventory was a mix of items that had been previously sold off at shops and new items. It's like the save data wasn't stored properly. The clients could join with their properly saved characters, but if I loaded the game as a host, with everyone having joined, their characters would be messed up too. Any idea what might be going on?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 558
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 18.05.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 18 May 2023, 22:55

ZanTheBonebreaker wrote: 18 May 2023, 19:54 When loading the game as a host, my character lost all levels and skills (yet kept exp), and the inventory was a mix of items that had been previously sold off at shops and new items. It's like the save data wasn't stored properly. The clients could join with their properly saved characters, but if I loaded the game as a host, with everyone having joined, their characters would be messed up too. Any idea what might be going on?
Clients potentially could get their data corrupted upon udp transfer, though i never encountered it myslef, but i have no idea why host's save data could be messed up (host's characters data is saved by mm engine and is not affected by multiplayer). I need some time to try and figure out why this happening. If you have MMMergeLog.txt (file in your game folder) of that game session, or can reproduce the problem and send me newly generated log file, that would be helpful.

User avatar
rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 75
Joined: 03 Jun 2020

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 14.05.2023]

Unread postby rampage77t » 19 May 2023, 04:37

Rodril wrote: 18 May 2023, 13:32 Issue, i mentioned in message above, should be resolved, files have been updated, link is the same.
rampage77t wrote: 16 May 2023, 18:28 Equipo1, then the problem is with my computer. I know hamachi very well since we were able to play several games thanks to the program, unfortunately we already tried it with hamachi and join by LAN but the same thing happens. I hope I can figure it out because this trilogy of Might and Magic games is our favorite, and we always dreamed of being able to play both at the same time and you made it happen.
I think, recent fixes are related to problem you encountered. If possible, update multiplayer mod with files from first post, make one more connection attempt and tell me outcome.



Image
Image

You really are a hero dude! :D With the last file the test worked both on LAN and on the Internet. At the moment the game is going very well, just a couple of glitches but they have to do with the game and not with the multiplayer, many of the MM7 character portraits are not visible and instead there is an error symbol or they are it repeats another character's portrait, and when we got to the spider queen's lair in the abandoned temple the game crashed a couple of times. But despite that we restored the game without losing our abilities and items. If I'm already fascinated with what you did, I can't wait when you finish polishing it, without a doubt an impeccable job, my congratulations! :tsup:

User avatar
ZanTheBonebreaker
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 2
Joined: 18 May 2023

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 18.05.2023]

Unread postby ZanTheBonebreaker » 19 May 2023, 08:50

Rodril wrote: 18 May 2023, 22:55 If you have MMMergeLog.txt (file in your game folder) of that game session, or can reproduce the problem and send me newly generated log file, that would be helpful.
I believe this is the log file -

User avatar
Macros the Black
Druid
Druid
Posts: 897
Joined: 21 May 2008
Location: Elemental Plane of Air

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 18.05.2023]

Unread postby Macros the Black » 19 May 2023, 19:00

Holy shit! Is PVP possible, or only through "accidentally" hitting each other with projectiles? It would be pretty awesome if we could fight each other and make bets in the arena. And if we could take our singleplayer party or solo character and go online with it to play with other people.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 558
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 18.05.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 19 May 2023, 23:43

Macros the Black wrote: 19 May 2023, 19:00 Holy shit! Is PVP possible, or only through "accidentally" hitting each other with projectiles? It would be pretty awesome if we could fight each other and make bets in the arena.
No, there's no PVP, and even projectiles are not hurting other players at the moment. Damage synchronization turned out to be quiet tricky, i've put player-to-player damage on hold for now. To be honest, i don't think PVP of any kind would be fun in MM8 engine, game just was not designed for it: many spells are not coded to affect party (slow, dark grasp, shrinkng ray...), melee combat is only clicking the enemy, with no player-controlled blocking or dodge. Moreover, multiplayer code is open and is not server-check oriented, what makes entire system an easy prey for dedicated cheaters.
Macros the Black wrote: 19 May 2023, 19:00 And if we could take our singleplayer party or solo character and go online with it to play with other people.
It is possible in current realisation, all you need to do is to load save game with desired single player party, before joining host.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 558
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 18.05.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 20 May 2023, 02:16

ZanTheBonebreaker wrote: 19 May 2023, 08:50 I believe this is the log file - https://pastebin.com/16GUy629
Thanks for the log. Unfortunately i have not found way to reproduce save-load error, but i've made some adjustments. If possible, update mod files (link is same - in first post), try again and tell me outcome, send logs in case of error occurrence.


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests