Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

Rodril
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby Rodril » Nov 13 2017, 18:17

Hello.

Here is thing i did for past time: merge of mm6, mm7, and mm8 on base of mm8 using MMExtension.

Download link (MMExtension and Editor are included, game is not included): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cu6tlpkh99pw ... jMWfa?dl=0
Update 21.11.2017, use it if you've downloaded main files before: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v6bsucr1m5ck ... uQOfa?dl=0

How to install:
1. Install GOG version of Might and Magic VIII.
2. Install GrayFace's patch for MM8.
3. Unpack MMExtension and MMEditor files into MM8 folder.
4. Copy files from "Game files" folder to MM8 folder, replacing existing.
5. First launch can take up to 15 mins, keep patience.

I did test only main stories and partially promotion quests, those should work right, other stuff can be buggy and requries feedback for fixing.
Known unfixed bugs/issues:
1. Win7 x64: some cutscenes can not be played in full screen mode, watch them in windowed mode. Did not notice it in Win XP x64 and Win 10 x64.
2. Some MM6 dungeons are glitchy in hardware game mode, use software mode for it (possible crashes while moving through doors).
3. One half of double-leaf doors in MM6 dungeons sometimes stays impassable, second part usually works fine.
4. Some bonuses of relics and artifacts from mm6/7 does not have any effects in fact.

Possible contributions if someone would:
1. Testing.
2. Repainting mm6/7 armors to fit mm8 dolls.
(video-example at 1:18 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/82s8qybipshy3 ... e.mp4?dl=0 (video a bit outdated, use dump(*table*) function to find new fields of structures)).
3. Inventing additional character paperdolls (going to add video-example in nearest future).
Most calsses came from mm6/7 are not elighible for some mm8 dolls, i.e. vampire paladin sounds senseless, so adding more human paperdolls would be great.
4. Rescripting mm6/7 relics/artifacts bonuses.
(video-example at 3:00 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/82s8qybipshy3 ... e.mp4?dl=0 ).
5. Inventing quests or story arcs which would lead player from new game continent to story lines of other continents.

Localization:
This is english version based on GOG releases. I did external database to not get confused with all game files, i think, i can use it to automatically replace current files with other localization, send me your *.lod archives from game folder, so i can try to do it.

Tips:
1. "Queen Catherine" starts shipping to Antagrich and Jadam after revealing Silvertongue's treason.
2. Ships from Ravenshore starts travelling to Antagrich/Enroth when party gets access to Regna.
3. Ship from Tularean forest starts travelling to Jadam when party finishing Dwarf king's quest.
4. Party can be filled up at start or durning gameplay by hiring random followers.
5. Game have weather effects (snow and rain), if it becomes annoying, rename "weather.lua" in ..\Scripts\General folder to "weather.lua.off".
6. I have not ever tried to use any high res mod, can not predict how new interface elements will behave with it.
7. I've used Marcon Phoenix's world map for new game menu.
Last edited by Rodril on Nov 21 2017, 18:22, edited 6 times in total.

tomchen1989
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Postby tomchen1989 » Nov 13 2017, 19:36

WOW, for real? I haven't tried it yet but, excellent job. Such a merge is actually a lot of MM players' dream.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Postby Avonu » Nov 13 2017, 20:04

8|

Really? I mean, REALLY?

If this work without many problems (there always are small ones), than it's very good news. I mean, VERY GOOD. :applause:
Last edited by Avonu on Nov 13 2017, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

tomchen1989
Peasant
Peasant

Postby tomchen1989 » Nov 13 2017, 20:24

Isn't there a maximum map number in MM8 (I'm pretty sure MM6 and 7 have such limit), which prevents you from importing all three games' indoor and outdoor maps into one game?
Last edited by tomchen1989 on Nov 13 2017, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby kristal » Nov 14 2017, 1:13

Will MM8 file NPCPROF.TXT or it is difficult?
Sorry for my English.

Troller
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby Troller » Nov 14 2017, 11:55

Amazing – great work :-)

Rodril
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby Rodril » Nov 14 2017, 18:22

Avonu wrote:Really?

I hope so, try it.

tomchen1989 wrote:Isn't there a maximum map number in MM8 (I'm pretty sure MM6 and 7 have such limit), which prevents you from importing all three games' indoor and outdoor maps into one game?

It was removed by Grayface. There were other limits: monsters, items, npc tables, transitions etc., i removed most of them, so it may be usefull for other kinds of mods (some details in video i referenced).

kristal wrote:Will MM8 file NPCPROF.TXT or it is difficult?

It is not supported at that moment, and i don't know if it is needed. MM8 offers fifth player and free party management instead. But it is not impossible, i've added all interface elements for NPC followers for story line purposes (like dwarf rescue in mm7, or Nicolay's quest in mm6), NPCFollowers.lua contain all required functions. Question is only in setting up "Hire" npc-topic and rescripting bonuses's behaivor.

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby kristal » Nov 15 2017, 5:30

Because in MM8 there is no point in the NPC peasants.
And how much is difficult to prescribe in MM8 race, like in MM7? and the possibility of pumping the skills of Dodging and Unarmed?

Rodril
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby Rodril » Nov 15 2017, 18:22

kristal wrote:And how much is difficult to prescribe in MM8 race, like in MM7?

I've done it, but could not decide which system is better (just a little change in CharacterOutfits.lua). Unpack this into game folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c23ml4kg07aza ... s.zip?dl=0 . Game.CharacterPortraits[] structure got field "Race", and table Game.Classes.StartingStats (StartingStats.txt) changed to use it during party creation.

kristal wrote:and the possibility of pumping the skills of Dodging and Unarmed?

How should they be changed? They work by default in MM8 but noone could taught to use them, there are teachers in Antagrich and Enroth.

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby kristal » Nov 15 2017, 20:07

Thanks for all the scripts and removed the limits in MM. Through them I joined ММ6-7 on the engine, MM7, but with some limits. Now I'll switch to your version, in MM8, almost no cons.
Skills Dodging and Unarmed work! :-D
Last edited by kristal on Nov 19 2017, 5:39, edited 1 time in total.

Bandobras Took
Archmage
Archmage

Postby Bandobras Took » Nov 16 2017, 1:38

Rodril wrote:1. Install GOG version of Might and Magic VIII.

No possibility of working with CD installs?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

mimickxd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby mimickxd » Nov 16 2017, 21:41

Dude, I just LOVE it. Totally. Don't care about possible bugs, it's just.. cool. Perfect. But what about.. Well, for now as I can see, we have only humans to choose. Will you change it?

tomchen1989
Peasant
Peasant

Postby tomchen1989 » Nov 17 2017, 6:17

Bandobras Took wrote:
Rodril wrote:1. Install GOG version of Might and Magic VIII.

No possibility of working with CD installs?
Works fine with CD installs

Phobos
Conscript
Conscript

Postby Phobos » Nov 17 2017, 15:50

This is fantastic! I'll have to try it immediately!

Rodril
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby Rodril » Nov 17 2017, 21:20

Have small update, mainly with fixes, notes inside, link in first post.
mimickxd wrote:Well, for now as I can see, we have only humans to choose. Will you change it?

Minotaurs and Dark Elfs added in update.
Last edited by Rodril on Nov 17 2017, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

tomchen1989
Peasant
Peasant

Postby tomchen1989 » Nov 18 2017, 8:25

When I right click on a made potion (without holding any item), instead of showing its description, it usually explodes as if I mix another wrong potion with it. However about 20% of the time, it shows the description correctly

Rodril
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby Rodril » Nov 18 2017, 18:39

tomchen1989 wrote:When I right click on a made potion (without holding any item), instead of showing its description, it usually explodes as if I mix another wrong potion with it. However about 20% of the time, it shows the description correctly

Fixed in today's patch, updated link in the first post, thanks.
Last edited by Rodril on Nov 18 2017, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

asthrab
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby asthrab » Nov 19 2017, 3:00

In Antagrich, when I was about to finish Warrior Mage quest, I got a debug error screen. My Archer got promoted but I can't access to the sniper's quest

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby kristal » Nov 19 2017, 5:53

Minor bug: on the emerald Isle squad and the monsters fall on the shore. In the Magic Shop sells weapons.
NPC farmers to the profession is not enough, as in the original MM8.

Rodril
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Postby Rodril » Nov 19 2017, 6:08

asthrab wrote:In Antagrich, when I was about to finish Warrior Mage quest, I got a debug error screen. My Archer got promoted but I can't access to the sniper's quest

Archer promotions fixed, thanks. Apply last update and load previous savegame, or press ctrl+F1 and execute (ctrl+enter) this code to get topic back:
evt.SetNPCTopic{380, 1, 819}
Party.QBits[543] = false
Party.QBits[1584] = true
Party.QBits[1585] = true
Last edited by Rodril on Nov 19 2017, 6:08, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”