Tech Corner

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Tech Corner

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Aug 2010, 18:57

Technical topics:
- Video Card - What To Buy?
- External HDDs
- Gaming Hardware
- Technical question: Max HDD
- RAM
- Computer Upgrade Tips
- New PC
- Building a new PC
- PC problems thread

I am thinking about upgrading my gaming computer CPU. Instead of buying a new computer, I want to keep upgrading it - partly for fun, partly for saving a bit of cash.

As some of you may know, I have already put in a more powerful video card, and I am also thinking about buying a new internal HD, since I have a vacant slot. Alternatively, I might just buy an external drive. I need to reformat my current HD soon too.

My existing PC:
  • PC: dell 9100 series
  • CPU: Intel Pentium 4,3 GHz
  • Graphics Card: XFX GeForce GTS 250 512MB PhysX CUDA
  • Memory: 2 x 1GB, DDR2 PC4200
  • Sound card: Sound Blaster Live 24 bit
  • Hard Disk: 160 GB 7200rpm SATA
Now, to the problem: To keep up with more demanding games, I'll need a new CPU. That means buying a whole new motherboard, correct? So ... what exactly is involved in that?
Last edited by Anonymous on 12 Feb 2015, 08:00, edited 4 times in total.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: CPU upgrade

Unread postby Pol » 26 Aug 2010, 23:08

Kalah wrote:Now, to the problem: To keep up with more demanding games, I'll need a new CPU. That means buying a whole new motherboard, correct? So ... what exactly is involved in that?
New memory modules, DDR3.

Basically you will be upgrading whole unit.

I don't know dell 9100 series, so I can't see if PSU and motherboard is/isn't somewhat "special" - OEM with non standard dimensions. Otherwise it's going like that:

* G. card is very good ;)
* I would recommend some AMD combo at this point
* Today's hdd are 320GB minimum
* Are you planning new OS, to unleashing 3GB RAM limitation?
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Re: CPU upgrade

Unread postby Zamolxis » 27 Aug 2010, 18:34

Pol wrote: * I would recommend some AMD combo at this point
I second that.

More exactly, the AMD Phenom II X6 platforms offer the best performance/price ratio out there at the moment.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Aug 2010, 11:58

Man, 4GB of RAM (and at 800 vs 667 for the old 2GB) make a big difference when it comes to alt-tabbing in win 7...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 29 Aug 2010, 18:40

Going from 667 to 800? *scoff*
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Aug 2010, 19:15

So, a new motherboard with AMD processor can easily be fitted to the existing system? I don't plan on buying other units as well - then I might as well buy a whole new PC.

I think I will keep WinXP for now, and consider buying Win7 later. When I eventually buy a new OS, I'll also buy more and better RAM.

By the way, I just found out that the local webshop sells "upgrade packs" like this one. It's Norwegian, but language aside, it's got this kit for about $250:
  • AMD Athlon II X2 250, Dual Core, 3.0Ghz, AM3, 2MB, 65W, Boxed
  • MSI GF615M-P33, Socket-AM3 m-ATX, GeForce 6150se, DDR3,SATAII, GbLAN, PCI-Ex16
  • Corsair Value S. DDR3 1333MHz 2GB CL9 Unbuffered, CL9-9-9-24, 240pin, 1.5V
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Aug 2010, 15:13

Ethric wrote:Going from 667 to 800? *scoff*
Well that was because the guy couldn't find any 667 ones, so instead of one 2gb module he gave me two and i gave him the old one, and i only paid for 1 2gb module. He's probably gonna sell it for more if you can't find it any more though...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 30 Aug 2010, 18:01

Kalah wrote:So, a new motherboard with AMD processor can easily be fitted to the existing system? I don't plan on buying other units as well - then I might as well buy a whole new PC.

I think I will keep WinXP for now, and consider buying Win7 later. When I eventually buy a new OS, I'll also buy more and better RAM.

By the way, I just found out that the local webshop sells "upgrade packs" like this one. It's Norwegian, but language aside, it's got this kit for about $250:
  • AMD Athlon II X2 250, Dual Core, 3.0Ghz, AM3, 2MB, 65W, Boxed
  • MSI GF615M-P33, Socket-AM3 m-ATX, GeForce 6150se, DDR3,SATAII, GbLAN, PCI-Ex16
  • Corsair Value S. DDR3 1333MHz 2GB CL9 Unbuffered, CL9-9-9-24, 240pin, 1.5V
* Probably but not one hundred sure.
* That upgrade pack is very funny, apart processor it's exactly what we sell like "PC Silver" - which is modest Office configuration. So, go higher! This isn't a good base stone for gaming PC.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 31 Aug 2010, 01:02

@K: Well, it's definitely better than what you have, but I wouldn't go for it. It's like upgrading your 5 y.o. PC to a 2 y.o. one. And 250$ is not far from the price of the components separately, so you won't make much of a deal, considering the fact that you won't be able to use together both your current RAM and the one which comes with the package.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Dec 2010, 21:56

I am going to reformat my gaming PC this Christmas ... (scary :scared: ) - but it was a success with this laptop I'm using right now, so I guess it'll be OK. I'll get rid of a whole lotta junk, lemme tell ya ... old games like CM03/04, Caesar III etc...

Also, some of the stuff I've put on it over the years have made it full of faults; stuff I can't delete, programs that won't run ... phew ... it'll be nice to have it back to square #1.

Now, as for the upgrades, I'm still thinking about buying a new HD, a new motherboard/CPU, and naturally more RAM as a necessity. When I eventually do buy a new motherboard, I'll install Win7 as well.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 15 Dec 2010, 22:15

Speaking of which, I'll have to do some cleaning of my PC as well. It gets cluttered easily, and there are things I almost never use, but they do have value to me... Getting an additional HDD for Xmas so I'll get less problems with that :) But for one, since it has a lot of space, and I have a scanner, I wonder if I should clean all the papers I don't use and just store whatever I need in the HDD instead of having all the papers collecting dust and being in a huge pile from where I can never find anything when I need it...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Dec 2010, 10:06

Here's a new HD I might wanna buy. It's less than $100, and I think it should work with XP.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 16 Dec 2010, 10:24

I say that's a good price for that HDD. But I don't know that Norwegian prices. In my country that would be like $200. In the states that would be still around $150. And sure it works with XP. I had a thread about that somewhere here. Just dig it up if you're curious.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Dec 2010, 14:30

Kalah wrote:Here's a new HD I might wanna buy. It's less than $100, and I think it should work with XP.
8| That's the exact same model I just bought! Cost me ~$70. I had some trouble deciding between this and a Samsung drive, since this one excels in efficiency, power consumption, heat sinking, price and implemented technologies, but the Samsung drive had really good performance. Decided to go with the former since I need the second drive mostly for storage reasons.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Dec 2010, 17:24

Have you installed it yet? Any trouble? You're running XP, yes?

I'd love to read your step-by-step guide on how you set it up.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 16 Dec 2010, 17:43

put it in the floppy disk and run :/e
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Dec 2010, 17:46

:??

I have a vacant slot for it, btw.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Dec 2010, 19:06

Kalah wrote:Here's a new HD I might wanna buy. It's less than $100, and I think it should work with XP.
That's a very classic drive. On of these, which made WD famous. But speaking of today, 1.5TB are the best money wise choice. :tsup:

It will work with XP SP3 and newer. Don't forget you may avoid any troubles with partitioning. And that you can partition drive before use. Either with Gparted or when you will be re/installing Windows. And there are many other ways around it.
put it in the floppy disk and run :/e
No. I'm not getting that either. Mirez?
(That's not command line for sure, nothing like that exist here. "start e:" would but won't help.)
"We made it!"

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Dec 2010, 20:21

I'll receive it in 1-9 days. But I already have a WD Black and I installed it myself. I'm using both Win7 and WinXP x64, but it really doesn't matter since all drives are compatible with all OSs - drives are registered by your motherboard, which then reports all the devices registered to the OS. Thus whatever your MB recognises will be usable by any OS, as long as it can receive MB signals correctly.

I set the first drive pretty simply: I have a modular hard drive bay in the computer case, so all I have to do is take out a kind of a rack, put the hard drive into it, then take the SATA cable, connect it to the HDD and one of the motherboard's SATA slots, then another cable that connects the HDD to the power supply, and that's it, it's ready to be used. If you don't have the modular design, you'll have to read through the chassis instruction manual to see what needs to be done to insert the thing, and of course read the manual that comes with the HDD to see if there is anything else required.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 16 Dec 2010, 23:35

Pol wrote:It will work with XP SP3 and newer.
Should work with SP2 also. Or am I wrong?
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Return to “Campfire”