Are you happy that MMX is in development?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

Are you happy that MMX is in development?

Yes
35
85%
No
6
15%
 
Total votes: 41

User avatar
GrayFace
Dragon
Dragon
Posts: 1456
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Mar 29 2013, 5:12

Information we have so far sounds pretty good. Proven core game mechanics, mod-friendly, now it's up to world creation and getting it done in time. I hope MMXI would have MM6-8 style free movement :D
Don't forget about difficulty levels, 3 or more. Well, if monsters parameters can be edited in mods, then there's no problem here.
It would be very good if you change monsters textures to be less color-crazy and more authentic to this game.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
Variol
Pit Lord
Pit Lord
Posts: 1249
Joined: 05 Sep 2008

Postby Variol » Mar 29 2013, 8:52

Maybe "The Flamberge" will make a comeback too!! :D

User avatar
JustTimmY
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 26
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby JustTimmY » Mar 29 2013, 18:59

I'm happy but I don't like that the movement is tile based.

I want to move freely, especially outdoors.

Dharcness
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 17
Joined: 16 Aug 2010

Postby Dharcness » Mar 30 2013, 12:56

I'm puzzled, some people are not happy that MM10 are in development? What gives?

User avatar
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 3329
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands

Postby GreatEmerald » Mar 30 2013, 13:00

Dharcness wrote:I'm puzzled, some people are not happy that MM10 are in development? What gives?


It's not the fact that it's in development itself, but rather by whom and in what way it's being developed.

User avatar
hellegennes
D'oh
D'oh
Posts: 842
Joined: 04 May 2009

Postby hellegennes » Mar 30 2013, 18:27

It's the usual fan overreaction. If you don't like a title in the series, you can simply ignore it. It's not like it's actively destroying the previous or the next instalments in the series. The worse thing that can happen is the production of a title you don't like. The best thing could be the rekindling of interest in the series, by the gaming community, which means more future titles and potentially better games.

User avatar
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 3329
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands

Postby GreatEmerald » Mar 30 2013, 20:37

hellegennes wrote:It's the usual fan overreaction. If you don't like a title in the series, you can simply ignore it. It's not like it's actively destroying the previous or the next instalments in the series. The worse thing that can happen is the production of a title you don't like. The best thing could be the rekindling of interest in the series, by the gaming community, which means more future titles and potentially better games.


Nope, unfortunately not. Games in Ashan are doing their best to erase all the previous games, as the new universe denies that the old one ever existed in the first place. If there are new players who come to the series due to MMX, they may very well think that it's the only one that matters, as all the previous games were set in a vastly different, abandoned universe that nobody cares about any more.

User avatar
Bandobras Took
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 992
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Bandobras Took » Mar 31 2013, 4:48

GreatEmerald wrote:Nope, unfortunately not. Games in Ashan are doing their best to erase all the previous games, as the new universe denies that the old one ever existed in the first place.


Really? Please provide the exact quote wherein one of the games explicitly denies the existence of the worlds of the other games.

If there are new players who come to the series due to MMX, they may very well think that it's the only one that matters, as all the previous games were set in a vastly different, abandoned universe that nobody cares about any more.


And, ignoring the blatantly inaccurate pathos, the problem with this would be . . . ?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

User avatar
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 3329
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands

Postby GreatEmerald » Mar 31 2013, 8:28

Bandobras Took wrote:Really? Please provide the exact quote wherein one of the games explicitly denies the existence of the worlds of the other games.

And, ignoring the blatantly inaccurate pathos, the problem with this would be . . . ?


Denying is not mentioning them. And they are not mentioned, with the new universe having vastly different settings.

The problem would be that the older games are ignored by new players.

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 745
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Mar 31 2013, 8:59

Well, new games are ignored by old players, so all things are balanced.

User avatar
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 3329
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands

Postby GreatEmerald » Mar 31 2013, 13:13

Yeap. Hence why I don't care whether it's in development or not.

User avatar
Bandobras Took
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 992
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Bandobras Took » Mar 31 2013, 14:43

GreatEmerald wrote:Denying is not mentioning them. And they are not mentioned, with the new universe having vastly different settings.


Er . . . no. Denying is claiming they never happened/did not exist. Terms such as moving on, enshrining, or even ignoring (if you want to be accusational) describe not mentioning something or not trying to continue something.

Honestly, what did you expect them to do, put Might & Magic Universe elements in their Heroes games? We all know how well that went over when NWC tried it with the Forge. Anything spinning off the Heroes games is going to heed that lesson of the past and stay well away from anything having to do with Might & Magic's sci-fi universe. And since NWC blew up the setting of the first 3 Heroes games, their options were to create a new world (something NWC had no problem doing) or try to tell a story within the constraints introduced by Axeoth, which had already had Heroes IV and Might & Magic IX working on it. If they decided to create a new world, who can blame them, other than the people who complained when they tried to include references and allusions to previous Heroes games?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

User avatar
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 3329
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands

Postby GreatEmerald » Mar 31 2013, 15:37

I expected them to continue the story. The two games made a nice introduction into Axeoth, but still left a lot of blank space for further development. Creating another world, and especially another universe, was not needed in the slightest.

User avatar
Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 266
Joined: 29 Oct 2006
Location: The freezing cold North

Postby Secret_Holder » Mar 31 2013, 15:39

Having not played the newer Heroes games, I may be unqualified to discuss the lore.

But from what I can see, Ashan was created by several Dragon-gods. This is of course inconsistent with what we know of CRON, XEEN and COLONY, but if we were to forcefully connect the newer and the older games, we could say that those stories are myths, which the peoples of Ashan created for themselves after the Silence, no?

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 745
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Mar 31 2013, 16:05

Secret_Holder wrote:if we were to forcefully connect the newer and the older games, we could say that those stories are myths
It's a double-edged sword. The stories of Ancient people may be claimed to be myths as well.

User avatar
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 3329
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands

Postby GreatEmerald » Mar 31 2013, 17:09

Secret_Holder wrote:Having not played the newer Heroes games, I may be unqualified to discuss the lore.

But from what I can see, Ashan was created by several Dragon-gods. This is of course inconsistent with what we know of CRON, XEEN and COLONY, but if we were to forcefully connect the newer and the older games, we could say that those stories are myths, which the peoples of Ashan created for themselves after the Silence, no?


No. In MM games, sci-fi is very clearly expressed. The people have myths, but then we get to see what is beyond the myths first-handedly. So far the MMH games haven't shown that there is any sci-fi explanation for their legends at all, even to the contrary, it suggests that everything is supernatural.

Also, there is no such thing as "COLONY".

User avatar
Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 125
Joined: 03 Jan 2009

Postby Konfuzius » Mar 31 2013, 17:48

I don't know if I am more qualified than Holder because I only played MM6,7,8 and a lil bit H5 but what from what I've read the original universe had the Creators and the Acients, right? And according to ASHAN lore there are dragons who created the universe, right?

What if the Dragons are Ancients AND Creators? Esepcially Urgash seems to fit the role as "Creator". And the rest seems to fit the role as Ancients (don't know much about this, maybe the Shadow Dragon is a Creator as well).

User avatar
GrayFace
Dragon
Dragon
Posts: 1456
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Mar 31 2013, 18:14

Secret_Holder wrote:But from what I can see, Ashan was created by several Dragon-gods. This is of course inconsistent with what we know of CRON, XEEN and COLONY, but if we were to forcefully connect the newer and the older games, we could say that those stories are myths, which the peoples of Ashan created for themselves after the Silence, no?

No need to go that far. Enroth wasn't created by Ancients either. So, the dragons could have created Ashan, but not the whole universe.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 266
Joined: 29 Oct 2006
Location: The freezing cold North

Postby Secret_Holder » Mar 31 2013, 19:28

GreatEmerald wrote:
Secret_Holder wrote:Having not played the newer Heroes games, I may be unqualified to discuss the lore.

But from what I can see, Ashan was created by several Dragon-gods. This is of course inconsistent with what we know of CRON, XEEN and COLONY, but if we were to forcefully connect the newer and the older games, we could say that those stories are myths, which the peoples of Ashan created for themselves after the Silence, no?


No. In MM games, sci-fi is very clearly expressed. The people have myths, but then we get to see what is beyond the myths first-handedly. So far the MMH games haven't shown that there is any sci-fi explanation for their legends at all, even to the contrary, it suggests that everything is supernatural.

Also, there is no such thing as "COLONY".


You'll be hard pressed to find any sci-fi references in HoMM 1-4, so I don't really see what you're fussing about.

COLONY is the world which contains Enroth, Erathia, Jadame, Karigor and Regna.

It's a "fan-tern" sure, but I prefer it.

User avatar
XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew
Posts: 945
Joined: 14 May 2008
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation

Postby XEL II » Mar 31 2013, 20:29

Secret_Holder wrote:COLONY is the world which contains Enroth, Erathia, Jadame, Karigor and Regna.

That world is called Enroth, which is referenced in MM6, HoMM3: SoD and MM8. The term COLONY is from MM Tribute, a fan project. Nowhere in any game or supplementary material by NWC this name for the planet is even mentioned.

MMT contains several other inconsistencies with canon, such as Ethric the Mad (the first necromancer in the world) becoming lich in 1083 AS and Karigor being the northern part of Jadame, when it actually is a small island southeast of Enroth.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests