Are you happy that MMX is in development?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Are you happy that MMX is in development?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 41

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 29 Mar 2013, 05:12

Information we have so far sounds pretty good. Proven core game mechanics, mod-friendly, now it's up to world creation and getting it done in time. I hope MMXI would have MM6-8 style free movement :D
Don't forget about difficulty levels, 3 or more. Well, if monsters parameters can be edited in mods, then there's no problem here.
It would be very good if you change monsters textures to be less color-crazy and more authentic to this game.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 29 Mar 2013, 08:52

Maybe "The Flamberge" will make a comeback too!! :D

JustTimmY
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JustTimmY » 29 Mar 2013, 18:59

I'm happy but I don't like that the movement is tile based.

I want to move freely, especially outdoors.

Dharcness
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dharcness » 30 Mar 2013, 12:56

I'm puzzled, some people are not happy that MM10 are in development? What gives?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Mar 2013, 13:00

Dharcness wrote:I'm puzzled, some people are not happy that MM10 are in development? What gives?
It's not the fact that it's in development itself, but rather by whom and in what way it's being developed.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 30 Mar 2013, 18:27

It's the usual fan overreaction. If you don't like a title in the series, you can simply ignore it. It's not like it's actively destroying the previous or the next instalments in the series. The worse thing that can happen is the production of a title you don't like. The best thing could be the rekindling of interest in the series, by the gaming community, which means more future titles and potentially better games.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Mar 2013, 20:37

hellegennes wrote:It's the usual fan overreaction. If you don't like a title in the series, you can simply ignore it. It's not like it's actively destroying the previous or the next instalments in the series. The worse thing that can happen is the production of a title you don't like. The best thing could be the rekindling of interest in the series, by the gaming community, which means more future titles and potentially better games.
Nope, unfortunately not. Games in Ashan are doing their best to erase all the previous games, as the new universe denies that the old one ever existed in the first place. If there are new players who come to the series due to MMX, they may very well think that it's the only one that matters, as all the previous games were set in a vastly different, abandoned universe that nobody cares about any more.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 31 Mar 2013, 04:48

GreatEmerald wrote:Nope, unfortunately not. Games in Ashan are doing their best to erase all the previous games, as the new universe denies that the old one ever existed in the first place.
Really? Please provide the exact quote wherein one of the games explicitly denies the existence of the worlds of the other games.
If there are new players who come to the series due to MMX, they may very well think that it's the only one that matters, as all the previous games were set in a vastly different, abandoned universe that nobody cares about any more.
And, ignoring the blatantly inaccurate pathos, the problem with this would be . . . ?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 31 Mar 2013, 08:28

Bandobras Took wrote:Really? Please provide the exact quote wherein one of the games explicitly denies the existence of the worlds of the other games.

And, ignoring the blatantly inaccurate pathos, the problem with this would be . . . ?
Denying is not mentioning them. And they are not mentioned, with the new universe having vastly different settings.

The problem would be that the older games are ignored by new players.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 31 Mar 2013, 08:59

Well, new games are ignored by old players, so all things are balanced.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 31 Mar 2013, 13:13

Yeap. Hence why I don't care whether it's in development or not.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 31 Mar 2013, 14:43

GreatEmerald wrote:Denying is not mentioning them. And they are not mentioned, with the new universe having vastly different settings.
Er . . . no. Denying is claiming they never happened/did not exist. Terms such as moving on, enshrining, or even ignoring (if you want to be accusational) describe not mentioning something or not trying to continue something.

Honestly, what did you expect them to do, put Might & Magic Universe elements in their Heroes games? We all know how well that went over when NWC tried it with the Forge. Anything spinning off the Heroes games is going to heed that lesson of the past and stay well away from anything having to do with Might & Magic's sci-fi universe. And since NWC blew up the setting of the first 3 Heroes games, their options were to create a new world (something NWC had no problem doing) or try to tell a story within the constraints introduced by Axeoth, which had already had Heroes IV and Might & Magic IX working on it. If they decided to create a new world, who can blame them, other than the people who complained when they tried to include references and allusions to previous Heroes games?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 31 Mar 2013, 15:37

I expected them to continue the story. The two games made a nice introduction into Axeoth, but still left a lot of blank space for further development. Creating another world, and especially another universe, was not needed in the slightest.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 31 Mar 2013, 15:39

Having not played the newer Heroes games, I may be unqualified to discuss the lore.

But from what I can see, Ashan was created by several Dragon-gods. This is of course inconsistent with what we know of CRON, XEEN and COLONY, but if we were to forcefully connect the newer and the older games, we could say that those stories are myths, which the peoples of Ashan created for themselves after the Silence, no?

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 31 Mar 2013, 16:05

Secret_Holder wrote:if we were to forcefully connect the newer and the older games, we could say that those stories are myths
It's a double-edged sword. The stories of Ancient people may be claimed to be myths as well.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 31 Mar 2013, 17:09

Secret_Holder wrote:Having not played the newer Heroes games, I may be unqualified to discuss the lore.

But from what I can see, Ashan was created by several Dragon-gods. This is of course inconsistent with what we know of CRON, XEEN and COLONY, but if we were to forcefully connect the newer and the older games, we could say that those stories are myths, which the peoples of Ashan created for themselves after the Silence, no?
No. In MM games, sci-fi is very clearly expressed. The people have myths, but then we get to see what is beyond the myths first-handedly. So far the MMH games haven't shown that there is any sci-fi explanation for their legends at all, even to the contrary, it suggests that everything is supernatural.

Also, there is no such thing as "COLONY".

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 31 Mar 2013, 17:48

I don't know if I am more qualified than Holder because I only played MM6,7,8 and a lil bit H5 but what from what I've read the original universe had the Creators and the Acients, right? And according to ASHAN lore there are dragons who created the universe, right?

What if the Dragons are Ancients AND Creators? Esepcially Urgash seems to fit the role as "Creator". And the rest seems to fit the role as Ancients (don't know much about this, maybe the Shadow Dragon is a Creator as well).

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 31 Mar 2013, 18:14

Secret_Holder wrote:But from what I can see, Ashan was created by several Dragon-gods. This is of course inconsistent with what we know of CRON, XEEN and COLONY, but if we were to forcefully connect the newer and the older games, we could say that those stories are myths, which the peoples of Ashan created for themselves after the Silence, no?
No need to go that far. Enroth wasn't created by Ancients either. So, the dragons could have created Ashan, but not the whole universe.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 31 Mar 2013, 19:28

GreatEmerald wrote:
Secret_Holder wrote:Having not played the newer Heroes games, I may be unqualified to discuss the lore.

No. In MM games, sci-fi is very clearly expressed. The people have myths, but then we get to see what is beyond the myths first-handedly. So far the MMH games haven't shown that there is any sci-fi explanation for their legends at all, even to the contrary, it suggests that everything is supernatural.

Also, there is no such thing as "COLONY".
You'll be hard pressed to find any sci-fi references in HoMM 1-4, so I don't really see what you're fussing about.

COLONY is the world which contains Enroth, Erathia, Jadame, Karigor and Regna.

It's a "fan-tern" sure, but I prefer it.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 31 Mar 2013, 20:29

Secret_Holder wrote:COLONY is the world which contains Enroth, Erathia, Jadame, Karigor and Regna.
That world is called Enroth, which is referenced in MM6, HoMM3: SoD and MM8. The term COLONY is from MM Tribute, a fan project. Nowhere in any game or supplementary material by NWC this name for the planet is even mentioned.

MMT contains several other inconsistencies with canon, such as Ethric the Mad (the first necromancer in the world) becoming lich in 1083 AS and Karigor being the northern part of Jadame, when it actually is a small island southeast of Enroth.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Return to “Might and Magic”