Clash of Heroes is ridiculous; I’m glad for it!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Clash of Heroes is ridiculous; I’m glad for it!

Unread postby cjlee » 03 Feb 2013, 14:18

Hello Everyone!

I have been absent from this forum for months because I am just fed up with Heroes VI. In the meantime, as I said I’d do, I have been meeting my friends, my regular gaming group and we are playing cards and other board games now.

Due to our advanced age, most of us are unable to play Starcraft multiplayer against younger players. All the same we are eagerly looking forward to Starcraft’s Zerg expansion. I am not going to touch Clash of Heroes. I think it is ridiculous. It’s just another of the many variants that Ubisoft is cooking up to attempt to further monetize what looks like an unholy mix of Heroes V and VII. The cartoonish appearance and the arcade-game appearance further turns me off. For goodness sake, please make the Inferno and Necro heroes a little more villainish looking! You know, a snarling or belligerent Inferno hero and a sullen or cunning Necro hero – don’t give them kiddie appearances because this is not Donkey Kong!

But I’m quite happy to see how crappy Clash looks. Am I contradicting myself?

No, because I think it will be financially successful. As much as I loathe it, it looks like an app (or Console game) that can sell to the masses.

This will keep Ubisoft in business for a while longer. While I don’t think much of these people, keeping the Heroes franchise alive is quite constructive to former Heroes fans like me.

The app and console markets are very crowded and turnover is high. Yesterday’s popular game is really today’s ignored game. Ubisoft will be forced to cook up a new game, and I predict that will be under 2 years from now. Their new game will have to offer significantly different gameplay or people won’t be interested.

Since they lack the brains and commitment to innovate properly, I’m predicting they will be forced to go back to Heroes III (or IV) for inspiration. I’m just hoping it won’t be a mix of their worst aspects! But then again, considering the quality of Heroes VI, the bar has been set pretty low so doing a better job shouldn’t be difficult!

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 04 Feb 2013, 03:10

Kindly post Heroes post to heroes forum.
I fu##ing hate everything that has to do with heroes and i find peace and quite in the M&M section.
Thanksen na oume.
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Feb 2013, 15:51

cjlee: So you're judging a book by its cover because of a grudge against Ubisoft?

skinothetis1: This forum is used for all the spin-offs. The level of activity isn't enough to justify the creation of other sub-forums, sorry.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 04 Feb 2013, 19:26

Clash of Heroes looks pretty interesting. It certainly is a far cry from the first 15 years of Might and Magic though. It's mainly the anime style, but this is popular nowadays.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Feb 2013, 19:44

While Clash of Heroes is certainly not for everybody, it's a fairly small game not putting too much of a drain on Ubi's resources. With the positive reviews it has been given, it's also a chance to revive the franchise and recruit new fans to the rest of the series.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 04 Feb 2013, 21:42

skinothetis1 wrote:I fu##ing hate everything that has to do with heroes
Why?
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Clash of Heroes is ridiculous; I’m glad for it!

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 04 Feb 2013, 22:04

cjlee wrote:This will keep Ubisoft in business for a while longer. While I don’t think much of these people, keeping the Heroes franchise alive is quite constructive to former Heroes fans like me.!
I generally agree with you, except for the above quote. In my view, the less successful they are, the better. If they go out of business, maybe the MM brand will be sold to someone who actually does care about its heritage. Or at least it will make them stop making new "MM" games that actually have nothing to do with the original settings. I'd rather have nothing than new sub-par games. At least that way most people should still be aware that MM is not what Ubisoft tries to make it look like... But the more games they release, the harder it will be for people to remember that the classics do exist.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 04 Feb 2013, 23:12

I'm actually kinda glad it was posted here. I do not really have a reason the go to the Heroes forums ATM, so I'm glad for it. :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Feb 2013, 23:12

@GreatEmerald: That is certainly one way of looking at it. I have to add a couple of things, though. The developers chosen for M&M work usually do care about the series - it's the Ubi top brass that don't really care. Also, and don't take this the wrong way, but many fans of the old universe seem to think that if JVC had still been running the show, the series would not have evolved. Considering that NWC switched worlds several times, I don't see it unlikely that they too might one day have left the old universe behind.

I end up agreeing with cjlee here - although I'm far from happy with everything the recent games have become, I think it's good that the franchise is in the hands of someone with a big enough bank roll to more or less guarantee the continued existence of the Might and Magic series.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 05 Feb 2013, 01:03

Kalah wrote:@GreatEmerald: That is certainly one way of looking at it. I have to add a couple of things, though. The developers chosen for M&M work usually do care about the series - it's the Ubi top brass that don't really care. Also, and don't take this the wrong way, but many fans of the old universe seem to think that if JVC had still been running the show, the series would not have evolved. Considering that NWC switched worlds several times, I don't see it unlikely that they too might one day have left the old universe behind.
And as much as I esteem JVC's work... I'm not sure if I want him back when I have a look at the course of the Command and Conquer franchise since he is on board.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 05 Feb 2013, 04:04

Kalah, they would not have changed universes. The universe in the NWC games is too intertwined to ever suggest the possibility of abandonment. Parallel universes are another story, however.

Flodarien
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Flodarien » 05 Feb 2013, 04:36

I don't get any of this. Why are we talking about a 3 years old game as if it's a new game? We all know that this game is bad, so why revive the topic?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Feb 2013, 04:56

Konfuzius wrote:And as much as I esteem JVC's work... I'm not sure if I want him back when I have a look at the course of the Command and Conquer franchise since he is on board.
C&C is run by EA, what did you expect? Their whole strategy is buying/hiring well-known game titles, companies and individuals, then using their names as a way to generate interest in their new games, at the same time making sure that every game release goes out of their way to milk players' money.
MMXAlamar wrote:Kalah, they would not have changed universes. The universe in the NWC games is too intertwined to ever suggest the possibility of abandonment. Parallel universes are another story, however.
This. Why would JVC ever throw away 20 years of development that went into the universe? Switching worlds is fine, as it allows for refreshed storylines, but they always build on the existing information. MM6 had the Tomb of VARN, and every campaign in HoMM4 built upon the foundations of the predecessor civilisations.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 05 Feb 2013, 05:26

If they brought JVC back then it would be an expectation of the original M&M universe, but as been said extensively that was never an intent of Ubi. I am not necessarily opposed to alternate universes, but of course would prefer connecting the lore from the original 12 games (MM9 was too far removed) to any new releases.

If they threw out the original universe but had good writing, we would've liked it. We got 1 good game with Ubi (HOMM5) which had issues with the writing and the map load time, and other than that anything from the franchise has been very weak since 3DO tanked.

In order for the series to get back on track Ubi needs to take a hands-off approach toward the developers or sell the name, and currently they feel they have no reason to do either.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 07 Feb 2013, 15:43

Clash is a really good small game. You should try it. As for Ubi's money, Clash would be a really good small addition to income from Assasin's Creed etc. :)
I wanted to write that the budget they had for Heroes 6 seems kinda tight, because they made just one angel cinematic and it was such a big deal for them (it was cool, but still), but it appears that Heroes 6 did have at least one other cinematic (I didn't play Heroes 5 and 6). It's funny to know that they had more in stores and yet released this trash.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 12 Feb 2013, 05:57

So, excuse me, pardon, sorry,is this what we are talking about?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFeqFZaX4g8
What in the name of fountain of youth this has to do with m&m so it would be allowed to the section?
This is a cartoon puzzle bubble bobble.
Merci.
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

Xdarkon
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Xdarkon » 28 Apr 2013, 23:41

Clash of Heroes is an quite fun game. Back on my DSI in the summer me and my mom would go in the garden with mint tea to play CoH together. :)

Return to “Might and Magic”