MM8 - attacking Necromancer's Guild breaks the game?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

MM8 - attacking Necromancer's Guild breaks the game?

Unread postby BMJedi » 14 Jun 2011, 23:03

Hi, I think I just almost broke my MM8 game irreparably,

I had a full party of five, and I didn't want the loser (15th level vs. our 35th level) Dyson Leyland in my party, so when I talked to him and he asked to join, I said no.

Then I attacked the Guild, defeating all the necromancers easily. But the Skeletal Transformer room was locked.

So I went back to get Dyson after all, dismissing one of my clerics to do it. But he wasn't there - empty room.

I went back to my save from before I attacked the necrmancers or talked to Dyson - and he wasn't there!

Thank god for the autosave - I was able to revert back to the doorstep of the Guild before the bug hit.

This is a game breaking bug, right?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 14 Jun 2011, 23:17

I can't test it right now, but he probably would've shown up in the Adventurers' Inn if you went there.
If it was a bug you could still have added him to your party via a trainer.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 14 Jun 2011, 23:22

This bug is more serious than I thought - even with Dyson Leyland in my party, the cutscene with the destruction of the skeletal transformer will not play after we bar the door and walk into the chamber.

I read about a bug where if you have ever spoken to him and turned him down for joining, your game is broken. I spoke to him and did not have room for him and was not ready to fight necromancers much, much earlier.

It looks like my game is irreparably broken! Bummer.

EDIT: I couldn't find any answers, but I kept messing with it, and I finally realized that I needed to click on the door beam to bar the door.

So I got it to work, thank goodness. The whole business with Dyson Leyland is bugged to heck and back. Anybody that ever plays MM8 had better be very, very careful about the Necromancer's Guild/Sun Temple part of the Alliance.

Do NOT ever speak to Dyson until you have a party slot open and ready to take him into your party, and do NOT attack the Necromancers until the skeletal transoformer has been destroyed by Dyson, assuming that you are allying with the temple.

Ditto if you are allying with the necromancers, because Dyson will disappear if you speak to him early. If you later recruit him from the Adventurer's Guild, he will NOT trigger his plot events, and your game will be broken.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 15 Jun 2011, 05:09

you can hire dyson back in inn (funny=))

skeletal transformer won't be destroyd so easilly - you should close the door correctly + run along this big room, come back to door, walk near it, more running...so finally you will hit the cheakpoint and trigger the quest as "done". sadly but it is so hard think to do.

BTW^ be sure that you got town portal - cause i can't find out any way out exept of teleporting...or death from starving and weakness.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 15 Jun 2011, 05:49

vladimir-maestro wrote:you can hire dyson back in inn (funny=))

skeletal transformer won't be destroyd so easilly - you should close the door correctly + run along this big room, come back to door, walk near it, more running...so finally you will hit the cheakpoint and trigger the quest as "done". sadly but it is so hard think to do.

BTW^ be sure that you got town portal - cause i can't find out any way out exept of teleporting...or death from starving and weakness.
Perhaps you can open that door again and leave the same way you have come.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 15 Jun 2011, 09:27

tolich wrote:Perhaps you can open that door again and leave the same way you have come.
i've tried - lever was stucked
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 15 Jun 2011, 10:22

vladimir-maestro wrote:i've tried - lever was stucked
Hmm, I'll try to check this. I haven't any saves though, so it won't be that fast.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 15 Jun 2011, 16:25

I think I managed to get that door open again after triggering the plot event.

You have to undo the levers in order again, and they still won't move out of order, and then you have to click on the beam to move it back and/or push one of those buttons over to the side again.

I didn't mess with it much, though, because I did have town portal, and I remember thinking, the heck with this, I'm over it, let's just get out of here and forget about the rest of the experience and gold in the guild <bamf>

It's definitely one of the more confusing and frustrating parts of the game! "Guide Dang It". ;)

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 18 Jun 2011, 10:08

Going outside the Guild building and then coming inside again should solve the problem.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Jul 2011, 21:37

In truth, I've never ever had any problems with Dyson or the Guild, and I've been playing MM8 like since its release (and it gave me plenty of wonderful moments, my first MM game).

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 13 Jul 2011, 03:45

BMJedi wrote:Ditto if you are allying with the necromancers, because Dyson will disappear if you speak to him early. If you later recruit him from the Adventurer's Guild, he will NOT trigger his plot events, and your game will be broken.
I think I've recruited him saying "No" a number of times and never had problems.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”