Cant get mm7 to run. Tried all guides i know of!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
grommo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Cant get mm7 to run. Tried all guides i know of!

Unread postby grommo » 18 Feb 2009, 10:40

PLEASE don't reply with things as "there is already a guide here on celestialheavens" etc etc..
I've tried THIS (celestialheavens) guide.
Ive succeeded in getting MM6 to run, so i don't understand why this shouldn't!!!

What i've tried:
I set the Dxdiag sound acceleration to "no acceleration",
I applied Mok's 1.21 mm7 english version patch,
i set the color quality to 16bit(medium) in display properties,
i chose software 3d Video in the mm7 config utility,
i also chose "disable accelerated 3d audio" in the config utility,
i tried using the mm7Resmod by AngelDeath.
I chose to run mm7-rel.exe AND mm7.exe in win98/me compatibility mode.

All these together didnt work, without the resmod it didnt work ETC... When i tried to launch it with compatibility mode it the comp worked for a couple of seconds and then just stopped no error message etc(the process starts and is in the taskmanager, but nothing happens)! ;(
Im using Win XP Pro SP3, and i'm getting crazy cuz i WANT this to work!!!!

I hope anyone can help me. Thanks in advance! / Grommo

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 18 Feb 2009, 19:56

Running old games at xp is always a lil confused. I format
my pc often and i re-intall winxp too and no matter how
crazy sounds every time i want to run my favorite old games
(including MnM 7) smth diffirent comes up :P So, if all these
u mentioned didn't work if u wish try this, install the game,
apply no patches at all and download a no-cd crack, disable
the sound accelaration from dxdiag and ofc use software 3d.
I know that sounds weird the no cd crack part but i remember
one case after a format on my pc there was no other way to
run it ;|
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

grommo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby grommo » 19 Feb 2009, 09:08

Thanks for the reply and tip man! ;) I'll try it out and come back with the results later! :hoo:

Result: nah.. :( Didn't work.

I tried installing Moks patch again too. Sometimes when i start the game, it actually goes so far as to adapt the screen to the games resolution, but after that a Postmortem debugger window shows and the game crashes ;(

DAMN this! I mean, WHY does it work with MM6 and not MM7? :S

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 19 Feb 2009, 13:20

Try running just the executable file(mm7.exe) without compatibility. I wonder if the setup program is causing issues.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Magic531
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Cant get mm7 to run. Tried all guides i know of!

Unread postby Magic531 » 20 Feb 2009, 12:55

I've got it to work under xp with a near identical config, which seems to indicate there might be some weird under the hood problems. If you have an extra hard drive, I know its a pain in the ass but I'd set up a duel boot into a fresh xp install. Then d/c your net and log into it. After that, install the game and Mok's patch but nothing else. I didn't install anything else on mine and it worked like a charm. I know it's a pain, but then you can at least isolate the problem.

grommo wrote:PLEASE don't reply with things as "there is already a guide here on celestialheavens" etc etc..
I've tried THIS (celestialheavens) guide.
Ive succeeded in getting MM6 to run, so i don't understand why this shouldn't!!!

What i've tried:
I set the Dxdiag sound acceleration to "no acceleration",
I applied Mok's 1.21 mm7 english version patch,
i set the color quality to 16bit(medium) in display properties,
i chose software 3d Video in the mm7 config utility,
i also chose "disable accelerated 3d audio" in the config utility,
i tried using the mm7Resmod by AngelDeath.
I chose to run mm7-rel.exe AND mm7.exe in win98/me compatibility mode.

All these together didnt work, without the resmod it didnt work ETC... When i tried to launch it with compatibility mode it the comp worked for a couple of seconds and then just stopped no error message etc(the process starts and is in the taskmanager, but nothing happens)! ;(
Im using Win XP Pro SP3, and i'm getting crazy cuz i WANT this to work!!!!

I hope anyone can help me. Thanks in advance! / Grommo

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 20 Feb 2009, 15:23

grommo wrote:Sometimes when i start the game, it actually goes so far as to adapt the screen to the games resolution, but after that a Postmortem debugger window shows and the game crashes ;(
Then open the debugger and do a screenshot there. Do a minidump if there's an option for it and send it to me. I'll try to fix it.
You can also try the version 1.1 without Mok's patch.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

grommo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby grommo » 21 Feb 2009, 11:22

DaveO wrote:Try running just the executable file(mm7.exe) without compatibility. I wonder if the setup program is causing issues.
I've actually tried that. If i don't use compatibility mode it just shows a debugger message straight away :(.
Magic531 wrote:I've got it to work under xp with a near identical config, which seems to indicate there might be some weird under the hood problems. If you have an extra hard drive, I know its a pain in the ass but I'd set up a duel boot into a fresh xp install. Then d/c your net and log into it. After that, install the game and Mok's patch but nothing else. I didn't install anything else on mine and it worked like a charm. I know it's a pain, but then you can at least isolate the problem.
I'll have this method in mind as a last resort of sorts, cuz it sounds pretty messy ;). Thanks still!
Grayface wrote: Then open the debugger and do a screenshot there. Do a minidump if there's an option for it and send it to me. I'll try to fix it.
You can also try the version 1.1 without Mok's patch.
I tried just using the 1.1 patch, it didn't install properly. The progress bar window showed and then it just exited.
But I'll send you a screenshot and hopefully a minidump too if thats possible. I'll do it in the next hour ;). Thanks for helping me!

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 03 Apr 2009, 11:35

if the game starts does the screen turn black and goes to desktop again?
and it gives an error?

the fix:

try some options in: Might and Magic® VII Configuration Utility
Configuration Utility

worked for me in all the MM versions!

goodluck

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 03 Apr 2009, 15:19

Today I experienced a bug that may be similar. I chose "DirectSound3D Software Emulation" for Audio and the game didn't start even after I disabled audio acceleration. So, even if you choose to "Disable Accelerated 3D Audio", the value of ComboBox inside it still effects the game. It is used at least for playing Smack videos.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 03 Apr 2009, 20:35

Have you tried running with 3D Hardware accelerated video?

My graphics card (ATI Radeon X1900) supports it, and I run the game that way.

Have you tried starting the game directly from the config menu, using the launch button?

I was experimenting earlier, and I noticed that the config screen didn't save my new settings until I started the game from there.

Under the Properties Compatability tab where you selected Windows98/ME compatibility mode, did you remember to check the box by "run in 640 X 480" screen resolution?

You might double check your audio settings to be sure all 3D audio is turned off everywhere in your computer, including Control Panel. I've noticed that having any audio setting on 3D makes this game go nuts - I just induced a white screen game crash by turning it on in the config screen.

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 04 Apr 2009, 13:06

grommo wrote:Thanks for the reply and tip man! ;) I'll try it out and come back with the results later! :hoo:

Result: nah.. :( Didn't work.

I tried installing Moks patch again too. Sometimes when i start the game, it actually goes so far as to adapt the screen to the games resolution, but after that a Postmortem debugger window shows and the game crashes ;(

DAMN this! I mean, WHY does it work with MM6 and not MM7? :S
Simply change some shit in the configuration utility, always worked for me!

Return to “Might and Magic”