GrayFace MM6 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Nelviticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nelviticus » 22 Apr 2010, 21:38

GrayFace, thanks again for releasing these patches. The mouse-look is really cool!

Could you make it so that the MouseLook setting determines whether it's on or off to begin with, and the CapsLockToggleMouseLook setting determines whether you can toggle it?

At the moment if you have MouseLook=0 and CapsLockToggleMouseLook=1 then mouselook is OFF and you can't toggle it on, but if you have MouseLook=1 and CapsLockToggleMouseLook=1 then you can toggle it but it's ON to start with. If you could change it so that MouseLook=0 and CapsLockToggleMouseLook=1 means it's OFF to start but you can toggle it that would be great.

I love mouselook but it makes me feel sea-sick so I'd have it off most of the time and just turn it on when I need it.

Regards

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 25 Apr 2010, 21:14

Grayface, this is not caused by your patch but I think the Blasters are way too fast. I never use them at all because I think going around shooting a death ray that obliterates everything in a matter of milliseconds is no fun.

Currently they are 30 (daggers are 60) but with all the speed boosts & haste, at the end of the game they become like 10-15 which is ultra fast.

Perhaps increasing their recovery time by 20 to put them to 50 ?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Apr 2010, 22:02

You can always use turn-based mode, I think they're slower then.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 25 Apr 2010, 23:27

Sorry but I have never, and will never use turn based mode in MM6-7-8 !

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Apr 2010, 05:31

You're missing a lot, then :D Anyway, I recall there being a setting in the patch's INI that relates to this.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 26 Apr 2010, 15:03

GreatEmerald wrote:You're missing a lot, then :D Anyway, I recall there being a setting in the patch's INI that relates to this.
DOH!

Should have reviewed that file before posting.

Thanks GreatEmerald, thanks Grayface! :D

PS: Playing in turn based mode would make the game twice as long to finish. And I prefer the faster pace of real time mode. I like being able to dodge missiles, and have to time my own missles, and move everywhere around while fightning. You really have to pick your quickspell carefully.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 26 Apr 2010, 16:07

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Playing in turn based mode would make the game twice as long to finish.
If you refer to MM6 bug, it's also fixed in my patch. I also prefer real time, but it's a good idea to play at least once using turn based mode. It has its pros and cons.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Apr 2010, 20:57

Yea, depends on the person. I'm more of turn-based strategy player than an action one, hence I play every single combat in turn-based mode (that's also why I don't like MM6 too much - where's my movement phase :( ). That's also why I don't like combat systems like those of Wheel of Time - you just don't get enough time to use all your resources efficiently.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 26 Apr 2010, 23:59

I perfectly understand that Turn based mode is useful to deal with a large amount of powerful melee monsters in front of you, to be able to do a different thing every round easily. To compensate for this, I use heavy tactics to my advantage to never fight more than a few powerful melee monsters head on at the same time - I catch the attention of a few of them, then draw them close to a bottleneck.

For wizards/clerics type of enemies whose power lies in their ranged attacks, I think you're much better off in real time. My tactics is to run close to a batch, slaughter them quickly with my melee weapons before getting too much fire from the other guys, then move on to the next group (the immense room in Superior Temple of Baa is the perfect example). You take far less damage when you're constantly running around.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 27 Apr 2010, 00:00

(deleted)

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 27 Apr 2010, 00:23

I tend to use realtime mode unless the enemies are numerous (MM6) or challenging (MM7) enough that I need to use turnbased to prevent having to rest after every fight. Usually it comes down to this:

MM6: realtime outdoors, turnbased indoors.
MM7: realtime almost exclusively.
MM8: realtime always.

Of course, that's if I'm playing with a full party... I don't know how it will be if I try a solo playthrough or something like that.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 27 Apr 2010, 05:51

I used turn-based mode twice in my current game when I needed to fight single powerful monsters. First was Gold Dragon in location with Q, the second was Koshei (I'm playing TCC).
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Music not looping

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 02 May 2010, 10:30

Can not figure out why the music doesn't loop

MusicLoopsCount=0
MusicLoopsCount=1
MusicLoopsCount=3

All seem to do nothing music only plays after I have saved/loaded the game again... Uaing Mp3 Music...

I had version 1.8 I thought there was a version 1.9.X but the link is for version 1.10 (is there a typo?)

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 04 May 2010, 17:00

Here are a few very old bugs (possibly there since the very first MM6 release), not sure if fixing them would be beyond your ability but I hope not.

- Swift enchanted weapons NEVER spawn. In all of my playthroughs I have never gotten a non-artifact weapon with this enchantment, and enchant weapon will not do it either. "Of Darkness" and "Vampiric" do appear (although rarely) though.

- Venomous Hydras don't shoot their projectiles. This is regardless of whether or not they have been assigned one in the monsters.txt file. By default they are supposed to shoot poison projectiles like the Great wyrms do.

BTW I did some testing with your formulas from the web page. To my satisfaction, magic resistance does indeed reduce the chance for instant death. My knight, who has 15 more magic resistance than anyone else (gave him 5 extra points at the start of the game), dies much less often. I did tests with the assassin girls in Mist Islands, and Supreme Titans. My party is level 92 and the assassin girls are very weak enemies, their instant death attack never worked at all if "day of protection" or "protection against magic" was on my party. I also had to remove all my equipment and not cast day of the gods.
Also, it seemed my knight was eradicated quite a bit less often than the other party members in Control Center.

The knight is a much more balanced class if you do this:
- gave him 5 more magic resist at the start of the game to bring it to 15(resist instant death+some status ailments better and damage from many enemies' projectiles and spells)
- axes, spears and swords stronger (especially axes) in items.txt
- I only allow the Archer and the Knight to master the bow (makes sense, the Knight is the weapons master).
- Apprentice, Mystic and Spellmaster NPCs banned (in MM7 they split them into sorcerer/clerical; in MM6 they boost all schools at once)
- All magic boosting rings and amulets (including Morgan, Guinevere, and Igraine) banned too. That's because there are no corresponging "+X to Armsmaster" or "+X to Unarmed" items in MM6 since the skills don't exist.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 04 May 2010, 22:08

I am using v1.8 atm... can't find where to download v1.9.3...

"Of Protection" does not give Magic resistance.
Expert "Static Charge" does not use 1 Spell Point, it uses 2 still.
There is a chest inside Dragoon's Caverns that spawns two diffrent item loots (open it take all the items out and click again for a new set of items)

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 05 May 2010, 01:23

>>>>I am using v1.8 atm... can't find where to download v1.9.3...

Did you try the first page, click on the download link to grayface's page?

>>>> "Of Protection" does not give Magic resistance.

It's not supposed to,it never did. You're not supposed to be able to boost it using items. You can only boost it with the earth magic spell, and the magic pots that give +1 magic resist permanent. Or playing a Knight, who starts with a bonus to magic resist.

>>>> Expert "Static Charge" does not use 1 Spell Point, it uses 2 still.
Just tried it, good find! Indeed, it says 1 MP on the spell menu but spends 2.

>>>>There is a chest inside Dragoon's Caverns that spawns two diffrent item loots (open it take all the items out and click again for a new set of items)

There are many chests in the game like this, not just dragoon's cavern. Also, there are many chests that "point" to the same chest. A good example of this is Warlord's Fortress.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Music not looping

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 May 2010, 01:38

Rune_Caster wrote:I had version 1.8 I thought there was a version 1.9.X but the link is for version 1.10 (is there a typo?)
The link is for the latest version. I don't keep older versions on my site.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

???

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 08 May 2010, 04:00

V1.10 and v1.80, v1.10 is the latest version correct? Still music doesn't loop on either version...

PlayMP3=1
MusicLoopsCount=0

Yet the music doesn't loop, I have to save and reload my game for the music to loop...

How come Fire Archers and enemies nearby don't take fireball damage when they cast fireball at close range, yet if your party is too close when casting fireball your party takes damage?

How come when you select targets for a spell and the target is "out of range" how come the spell still casts yet you waste your mp as the spell never lands on the target (out of range)?

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Re: ???

Unread postby tolich » 08 May 2010, 07:37

Rune_Caster wrote:V1.10 and v1.80?
No, 1.10 and 1.8. In Russia, period is not used to separate decimal part of number, so 1.8<>1.80. It is 1.08.

forbjok
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: ???

Unread postby forbjok » 08 May 2010, 11:41

tolich wrote:
Rune_Caster wrote:V1.10 and v1.80?
No, 1.10 and 1.8. In Russia, period is not used to separate decimal part of number, so 1.8<>1.80. It is 1.08.
Dunno about decimal signs in Russia, but AFAIK this is just common version numbering practice.

Although I'm aware that some companies get their version numbers messed up by skipping the periods after the first one, so their numbers would go like:
1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.11 (really 1.1.1) -> 1.12 (really 1.1.2) -> 1.2 -> etc.

The problem with this is that once they reached 1.9, there'd be nowhere to go but 2.0... or just keep adding more numbers to the end (eventually resulting in stuff like 1.99991), which would just look ridiculous.
Of course, the companies that do this are generally ones like EA, who hardly ever release a patch at all, let alone more than a few.

Return to “Might and Magic”