IF EA takes over Ubisoft...

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 24 Aug 2007, 18:25

dont take me wrong, DMoMM was a fun game, i love kicking orcs and zombies down stairs over and over again in DMoMM, but it kinda have a feeling about it that it doesnt have the right to the name Might and Magic, ya know?

it feels kinda sad that Ubi killed of the old story of MM, there was lots more that could be done with it

and i never cared much about the Heroes series since HoMM 2, really, nowadays i only buy them for my MM collection.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 14 Sep 2007, 17:32

DaveO wrote:Given the current VERY SMALL fan base of M&M, I would not advise Ubi or EA if they take over to develop another M&M title.
Why do you think so? It's very hard to find a person that played computer games, but haven't heard of Heroes.
DaveO wrote:Single player and party-oriented RPGs are pretty much a thing of the past.
Yes, that's what make such games unique. I don't mean single player games, but when some game comes with a well-forgotten and long-awaited concept it usually turns into a big event. So, the first version of Trackmania couldn't challenge even it's predictor - Stunts (released in 1990), but got its fame. Stunts had great concept, and so M&M does.

I don't understand why you want many races in M&M. What I would like to see is a set of character classes and races, unique in some means. I'd rather like humans and orcs only with much unique features than a hundred races without any difference between them.
Talin_Trollbane wrote:it feels kinda sad that Ubi killed of the old story of MM, there was lots more that could be done with it
But haven't 3DO killed the story allready in Heroes 4 and M&M 9?
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 14 Sep 2007, 17:49

GrayFace wrote:
Talin_Trollbane wrote:it feels kinda sad that Ubi killed of the old story of MM, there was lots more that could be done with it
But haven't 3DO killed the story allready in Heroes 4 and M&M 9?
I still haven't forgiven 3DO (and NWC) for the destruction of Antagarich and the Ironfists, not to mention many of my beloved Heroes. :disagree:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 14 Sep 2007, 19:51

Yeah, that was something. We were saving Antagarich so many times, M&M history developed lots of great heroes and 3DO just blew it up with no mercy. It really feels like wasting our efforts.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 14 Sep 2007, 20:06

To me, with the release of the crappy "Heroes Chronicles", was just their way of saying, "ok, we milked that universe for all it's worth now".

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 15 Sep 2007, 02:13

And so previous posters have gratefully pointed out the biggest challenge to a new M&M title: story.

The Corak and Sheltem arc ended in Xeen. MM6 thru MM8 had the Ironfists, Kreegans, Ancients, and a decent story in all of them. The problem for the most part is the monster challenge factor. MM6 went a bit overboard in this department with waves of monster groups, MM7 had VERY limited character leveling, and MM8 made mistakes on the character balance area(though the game land sizes feel right to me).

My primary motivation for adding a LOT of races into the game would be to make it a bit like Phantasie or even like the Arkania trilogy where your choices of races and professions did have an effect on gameplay.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 15 Sep 2007, 14:26

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:To me, with the release of the crappy "Heroes Chronicles", was just their way of saying, "ok, we milked that universe for all it's worth now".
I think it was a valiant effort to attract new people to the Heroes series: decent maps, nice plot, simplified gameplay. The problem is that the community saw these games as an expansion and as such they were not very interesting (limited number of towns, no multiplay).

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Sep 2007, 15:00

Angelspit wrote:
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:To me, with the release of the crappy "Heroes Chronicles", was just their way of saying, "ok, we milked that universe for all it's worth now".
I think it was a valiant effort to attract new people to the Heroes series: decent maps, nice plot, simplified gameplay. The problem is that the community saw these games as an expansion and as such they were not very interesting (limited number of towns, no multiplay).
And despite your feelings they rewarded people that bought them by giving away free download scenarios. Let's face it, they were a time filler awaiting H-IV, unfortunately if they had sold more of them, then money problems would not have forced H-IV out too soon.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 15 Sep 2007, 16:04

DaveO wrote:MM6 went a bit overboard in this department with waves of monster groups,
Agreed. Just cleared the Lair of the Wolf. Did they REALLY have to fill every single small room with 20-30 Werewolves? ;| Tedious.
DaveO wrote: MM7 had VERY limited character leveling
What do you mean by that?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 15 Sep 2007, 17:34

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
DaveO wrote:MM6 went a bit overboard in this department with waves of monster groups,
Agreed. Just cleared the Lair of the Wolf. Did they REALLY have to fill every single small room with 20-30 Werewolves? ;| Tedious.
Go to Tomb of VARN. ;)

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 15 Sep 2007, 20:00

Avonu wrote:Go to Tomb of VARN. ;)
And make sure you have a free weekend ahead of you.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 15 Sep 2007, 20:30

I forgot how annoying the mobs in MM6 & 7 could be.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 16 Sep 2007, 00:18

What I meant by limited leveling in MM7 is that my whole group only reached about level 30 after the whole adventure. I would have been a bit more satisfied with being able to get to level 50. MM8 certainly did not have a character leveling problem. Some of my finished solo character games have level 150 or higher.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 16 Sep 2007, 02:31

But I finished MM7 five times and every time, my party was around level 80 at the end...

You probably skipped a lot of quests

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 07 Oct 2007, 08:49

For me, waves of monsters in MM6 aren't any bad. I really like those big dungeons like VARN with some interesting scripts stuff in them. I can't remember much scripts in MM7 or MM8 dungeons.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Oct 2007, 17:19

Omega_Destroyer wrote:I forgot how annoying the mobs in MM6 & 7 could be.
GrayFace wrote:For me, waves of monsters in MM6 aren't any bad. I really like those big dungeons like VARN with some interesting scripts stuff in them. I can't remember much scripts in MM7 or MM8 dungeons.
I loved the huge dungeons and large populations of outdoor creatures, especially in MM6. The dungeon sizes and outdoor creature counts were decreased in MM7 and to a much greater degree in MM8. For me, this made the games less exciting. I was disappointed that MM7 & 8's dungeons were so much smaller and less complex than MM6's were. I believe the cutting back on content in these game is one of the reasons people started to lose interest in Might & Magic … then of course, MM9 further rang out the death knell. Image
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Return to “Might and Magic”