might and magic 8 for windows 7

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Raver_Tom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

might and magic 8 for windows 7

Unread postby Raver_Tom » 15 Jun 2011, 19:05

Is there a way to get might and magic 8 working on a windows 7 computer
every time i load it up it crashes just after the 3DO logo comes up thanx

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 15 Jun 2011, 19:23

First step: did you try Windows XP compatibility, Administrator mode?
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Daerandin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Daerandin » 15 Jun 2011, 19:29

Have you tried running it in software mode? I am just curious if you experience the same video issue that I have and I have read others experiencing the same issue on 64 bit Win7.

Here's my issue. I still hear the sound playing of the intro movie, but the image seems frozen. If I switch to software rendering then there is no problem. I think I read that grayface was fixing this in his next patch release. I have the exact same problem with MM7 too.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 15 Jun 2011, 20:47

Also, make sure User Account Control (UAC) in the control panel has the slider all the way at the bottom, effectively disabling it. It wreaks havoc with games.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 15 Jun 2011, 21:39

GrayFace patch + Run as admistrator and it works like a charm.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 15 Jun 2011, 21:45

hatsforclowns wrote:GrayFace patch + Run as admistrator and it works like a charm.
Mama mia! D'oh!

The Grayface patch seems so obvious to those of us experienced with these games, I can't believe that we didn't think to mention it!

MM6, MM7, and MM8 do not work on Windows XP, Vista, or 7, without the Grayface/Mok patch.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 16 Jun 2011, 09:43

They do, but the chance of working is lower :) I've no idea how to fix video bugs. chickenfist said he fixed them, I'll try to contact him.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 17 Jun 2011, 10:11

Grayface's patch without administrator and it works like a charm as well :) Setting it to run as administrator doesn't help with either of the bugs I'm having.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 17 Jun 2011, 14:48

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but you can avoid all these headaches by buying the GoG.com version of the game.

I had one issue with the music on the GoG.com version - installing the Grayface patch makes it stop playing, but all I had to do was set mp3=1 in the .ini, and it works beautifully - it will even do the infinite loops as advertised in the patch.

You don't even have to convert the music tracks to mp3, because they are already converted in the download.

Return to “Might and Magic”