Movies

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 13 Dec 2008, 14:36

PhoenixReborn wrote:Sheesh, The Death you have to argue with Asheera about her own taste in a movie thread? :disagree:
WTF don't you understand from
Borsuc wrote:I'm not saying you have a bad list, heck those are one of my favs as well.
if there's anything I hate more than wrong posts targeted at one person, is those that are based on previous assumptions and just taking stuff out of context and accusing with cheap shots or personal business.

also dang it I seem to have read somewhere that "burned" CD/DVDs (not factory pressed ones like the ones you buy) last only about 2-5 years, is that true? It means all my backup is almost lost :|

any other good backup medium, that lasts? I've become a skeptic on robustness and life of storage mediums, possibly even paranoid. And DVDs are said to last even less since they have data 'more packed' and thus easier to 'shift' or something like that (which makes it unreadable).

sorry if the storage medium complaint is off topic.
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 13 Dec 2008, 16:47

Relax guys. It was a simple misunderstanding ;)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 13 Dec 2008, 21:32

Borsuc wrote:also dang it I seem to have read somewhere that "burned" CD/DVDs (not factory pressed ones like the ones you buy) last only about 2-5 years, is that true? It means all my backup is almost lost :|
Of course, nothing lasts forever, but I've been burning DVDs for years and haven't had one "go bad" yet. If you go to any of the DVD forums (e.g., afterdawn.com) they'll tell you that the longevity of burned media has a lot to do with the quality of the starting materials. I.e., lower end blank media will go bad over time and also will result in many more coasters.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Dec 2008, 22:18

And there's also the ever popular "what conditions you keep it in"...

But yeah, everything breaks... see this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... okProofing
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 13 Dec 2008, 23:10

Watching Saving Private Ryan now,it's on tv :)!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 13 Dec 2008, 23:55

Movies I enjoy watching over and over:

1. Blues Brothers
2. Blade Runner
3. Kill Bill 1 and 2
4. Any Marx Brothers
5. Once Upon a Time in the West
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 14 Dec 2008, 00:13

Borsuc wrote:hey Ash I bet you missed a lot, how many movies did you actually watch? :P
Hey Borsuc if you don't want to be 'flamed' then don't write insulting posts like this. Hardly a cheap shot. Ash herself protested.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Dec 2008, 00:20

"Conspiracy Theory" is on. :)

Gibson is great as a paranoid conspiracy theorist.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 14 Dec 2008, 13:32

PhoenixReborn wrote:Hey Borsuc if you don't want to be 'flamed' then don't write insulting posts like this. Hardly a cheap shot. Ash herself protested.
Insulting post? With a :P ?
Who cares if someone protests? Someone can protest for even getting addressed, which would technically mean not post in public where everyone can reply.

not sure what you mean by insulting post but if you want I can give examples of true insulting posts, though not here as I'll get banned for sure. :P

@Kalah: how does it compare to "Enemy of the State"?
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Dec 2008, 17:29

Well, it is sort of the same "a branch in the government/intelligence agency is after you" sort of thing, and you could argue that if you've seen one, you've seen them all. The difference is that EotS is about a resourceful (i.e. normal) lawyer who gets involved in something sinister, whereas CT is about a half-crazy conspiracy theorist (you know the type) who believes everything is a government conspiracy... and in one instance suddenly finds himself to be right. The really big difference is that in EotS the plot is fully revealed, while in CT you don't know the truth until the very end. It's full of twists and turns, and that's why I like it.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 15 Dec 2008, 18:56

Watched Nightwatch and Daywatch... It was sometimes weird (and not necessarily in a bad way), too long (we stopped the second movie halfway through and started again the next day as we felt sleepy) and all in all I felt like something got lost in translation (more than once I got the feeling that Nival worked on that series. :D ). The visuals were nice but I won't be standing in line for the eventual sequels.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 Dec 2008, 15:42

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 16 Dec 2008, 16:49

What a selection of movies there, I don't know (watched) like 90% of it :P

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 16 Dec 2008, 16:55

I got only 17.2%, substantially less than "my friend Christian". :D
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 16 Dec 2008, 17:00

72.8%
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 16 Dec 2008, 17:04

I'm definitely not addicted, I got a little less than 10%. :D
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 Dec 2008, 18:55

Veldrynus wrote:72.8%
Impressive... :hoo:

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 16 Dec 2008, 19:12

You are 13.6% addicted. Jezus, what a movie noob I am.I let out the ones that I haven't seen, or seen bits from it. Still kinda low though :P!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 16 Dec 2008, 19:13

24.4%

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 16 Dec 2008, 19:14

Oh, and interesting. Most of the list is the same as AS...

Return to “Campfire”