Akira Ifukube

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Akira Ifukube

Unread postby Derek » 09 Feb 2006, 01:47

I post this here because I mourn the loss of such a great man, and I am sure that some of you do as well. My best wishes for his family and friends...he died at the age of 91 today.

I have always been a huge fan of Godzilla films for my entire life. The dark worldview that was shown by the original, and occasional subsequent films, changed my way of looking at the world. Many profound question were raised by the original film that still remain unanswered. Is it right to make a weapon even worse than an atomic weapon? Does anyone have a right to even make such a weapon in the first place?

Despite this, this film would not have retained anywhere near the recognition that it would have normally deserved if one man had not been involved. Akira Ifukube. His dark theme for Godzilla is world famous, and he managed to capture the ominous feel of the horros of nuclear war. His knowledge as a classical composer was not simply limited to Kaiju films, but he was president of the Japanese school of music and created some great pieces of music in his own time.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Feb 2006, 04:24

I wonder what he thought of the new Godzilla released a few years ago? Probably not much, is my guess.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Return to “Campfire”