PC problems thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 31 Jan 2009, 15:12

Ok not really a PC Problem but apparently Google today for some reason says to every site I find "This site may harm your computer", even if I try to find Google itself :|

EDIT: Seems it got fixed now :D
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 31 Jan 2009, 23:46

Microsoft conspiracy :D
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Feb 2009, 15:17

Borsuc wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:but the show i was watching still had sound... sure it went in a loop, but it was there...
Err, that's either put into RAM precached or into the soundcard itself...
Yeah, but before winamp played the song without looping... or could the whole song be in the RAM/soundcard?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 01 Feb 2009, 16:35

All things that you hear you hear from RAM/soundcard, not from the hard-disk. When you play a song and "stream" it (like Winamp does), it loads chunks/blocks of music info at a time, and stores it in RAM, then if it's in .mp3 (or other encoded format) it decodes that piece of info (music) and converts it to PCM and sends it to the sound card (this is pure software solution, no hardware accelerator).

While that plays, it loads the next chunk from the hard disk, decodes that, and sends it when it's time to do so. Then again for the next chunk. This is all done so it doesn't need to load the whole thing into RAM and decode it before you can listen to it. ("streaming" idea, works on the internet too, only that there, instead of the hard-disk you have the internet downloaded stuff, one chunk at a time)

A 'chunk' has a size usually dependent on the format or software involved. Could be anywhere from 4096 bytes to megabytes. Doesn't really matter that much (it depends on the format and the 'size' of a second, for example -- i.e how much space requires a second).

Also, Windows "caches" hard-disk access into a temporary ram disk. If you have enough RAM you might not need to reload the music from hard-disk if it's still cached in RAM (obviously, it gets uncached as soon as some app needs that much RAM, since caching doesn't restrict usage to RAM, it's just used as long as the RAM is not fully used).

Also Windows freezes without a harddisk (even if you don't use it).
All humans do is to go to a place, bountiful of nature, and live there. Then the human multiplies and sucks all the wonders there. They move to the next. There is one thing that works the same way as that: a virus.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Feb 2009, 10:18

All u had to do is say YES...

Oh, and what happens to SATA drives if they move around?! Because i just noticed last night that for some reason the metal my HDD has attached to wasn't well attached to the lower part of the PC tower. I used some toiler paper to make it stay in place and now shaking it doesn't freeze the PC anymore it seems. (of course i also took out and put back in the wires, so who knows).
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Feb 2009, 11:26

Euhm, nothing really happens when you move it. As long as you keep everything the same (jumpers, location of sata wire, BIOS settings)...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 02 Feb 2009, 13:21

ThunderTitan wrote:Oh, and what happens to SATA drives if they move around?! Because i just noticed last night that for some reason the metal my HDD has attached to wasn't well attached to the lower part of the PC tower. I used some toiler paper to make it stay in place and now shaking it doesn't freeze the PC anymore it seems. (of course i also took out and put back in the wires, so who knows).
Wow, if it moves it's very very bad. Hard Disks are very fragile if you move them when they read/write, you may scratch it and get some bad sectors forever.

Shaking the PC when it operates is a bad idea as well. Even if the Hard Disk is fixed heavily in place, there can still be a danger for it.
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 02 Feb 2009, 15:34

@ThunderTitan: but it's not put whole in RAM, it's put with chunks. Imagine reading a book -- you read one page at a time. It's like it puts into RAM the first page, then you read it, and WHILE you read it, it loads the next page (chunk). Then, while you read the latter, it loads the next page in place of the first one (not needed anymore), etc...

Winamp does not keep the whole music in RAM -- but Windows keeps the "most recently HD activity" into a ramdisk (virtual HD in RAM) as long as you have enough RAM and it isn't used -- this speeds up next time Winamp wants to read the same music from HD, if it is in a ramdisk (virtual HD in RAM, again), then it reads it from there and says "Gee, I found a really fast Hard Disk" :D (that's what it thinks because Windows tells it that :P)
darknessfood wrote:Euhm, nothing really happens when you move it.
That's the biggest joke I ever heard. Hard drives are mechanical and they have moving parts, and most "internal" HDs are cheaper and don't have any anti-shock systems. They are very fragile. If you want to shake it, get an external HD (although those have lower RPMs). Especially with higher RPMs you'll practically destroy it (not literally, since it'll probably still work a bit, but either faulty, or will fail later).

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Feb 2009, 15:47

Nothing happens when you move it. Of course the pc must be powwered off. Or didnt you get that?

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 02 Feb 2009, 15:53

Borsuc, I think he meant that moving it from one spot to another doesn't affect how it works after you turn it on. You know, there are more slots for a Hard Disk in a PC (depending on the chassis how many slots there are), and I think he wanted to say that it doesn't matter where you put it, and that's true. ;)

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Feb 2009, 15:58

Thanks for pointing it out. Although it was clear, he didn't get it :P...

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 02 Feb 2009, 17:03

[facepalm]

sorry :D

EDIT: btw, those "slots" for hard drives are called 3.5" bay slots. ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Feb 2009, 12:13

Dude, enough already, i'm not tech illiterate, i know how RAM works overall.

As for the HDD... my question was if it's being swung around could it cause them freezes, or is it more likely that one of the wires was loose and swinging out.

And i'm shaking the PC because it's still in warranty atm... so i'd rather it went bad now then later...

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 03 Feb 2009, 15:11

ThunderTitan wrote:And i'm shaking the PC because it's still in warranty atm... so i'd rather it went bad now then later...
What if you'll damage it now with shaking, and it will only break down after the warranty expires? :P

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 03 Feb 2009, 16:59

Asheera wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:And i'm shaking the PC because it's still in warranty atm... so i'd rather it went bad now then later...
What if you'll damage it now with shaking, and it will only break down after the warranty expires? :P
SSSsssssst, you make him think now!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Feb 2009, 10:53

Asheera wrote:
I doubt that it would take 6 months for the HDD to start showing errors (and of course i'll scan it when i get the time).

Still doesn't answer my question...

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 04 Feb 2009, 13:46

Hmm? What question? Oh, if you move it, is it possible that it may freeze?

I'm not sure, but as I said to move the Hard Disk when working it is definitely an extremely bad idea, and it could destroy the Hard Disk. Not sure if it freezes Windows, but does it really matter? The Hard disk shouldn't move when it is powered on. EVER. :P

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 04 Feb 2009, 16:01

Why do you think external HDDs are more expensive and have 5200 RPM or close to there? (slower!)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Feb 2009, 17:01

Same reason 2 different brands of X cost diff even if the product is made in the same factory etc. marketing.
Asheera wrote:Not sure if it freezes Windows, but does it really matter?
Yeah it does... lets me know if i still have a problem or not.

Borsuc
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Borsuc » 04 Feb 2009, 17:17

ThunderTitan wrote:Same reason 2 different brands of X cost diff even if the product is made in the same factory etc.
Same brand :P

Return to “Campfire”