[Petition]We want descriptions for special ranks

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

If this cry goes unnoticed,are we to stop all of our spamming until our demands are met?

Oh God,please do!
11%
Hell no,we wont go!
11%
Who are you anyway?Whats this all about?I dont get it
78%

Total votes: 18

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Feb 2006, 12:35

Actually, the Vanir were not "elf gods". They were gods that mainly were occupied with fertility, farming and fishing- at least in the cult. The Aesir were more warlike. Elves as a whole is a very elusive concept (Snorri even seems to equal the Dark Elves with dwarves), but if anything, they could be seen as local, nameless powers. They most certainly doesn't have any kind of individuality as e.g. Pan.
Last edited by Gaidal Cain on 10 Feb 2006, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Feb 2006, 14:14

Quite right, but being as Norse litterature so often mentions them in the same breath, I shall assume that the Vanir were some times referred to as "elves". They're not elves in the modern way of seeing them, though.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Feb 2006, 14:55

I remember reading somewhere that Dark Elves came about as a name because of a mistranslation.

And by the descriptions i read they sound more like dwarves anyway.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Campfire”