Round Table Championship

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Sep 2007, 19:50

Seems I returned in time :D
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

skortzy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby skortzy » 23 Sep 2007, 20:26

Hmm... My luck will probably end now... There are no more Gods I can thank after the game :(

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Sep 2007, 22:35

Sorry for the delay, I was doing some important work for the government... i.e. playing Civ4.

Knockout stage rules:

Extra time: If the score is level at the end of the match, new stuff happens. New bonuses will be applied, and the dice re-rolled as if a new match was played. This time the dice don't show the number of goals scored, just if you beat your opponent. To win, you have to get a higher score than your opponent, bonuses included. The bonuses count directly to your score, i.e. a team with a Midfielder captain rolling a 4 during extra time, gets –30% to his score, meaning he gets a 3 (rounded up from 2,8). A Forward on the other hand will get a +20%, meaning a 4 will become a 5 (rounded up from 4,8). Ergo extra time between these two each rolling a 4, will see the Forward taking his team to victory.

Penalty shootouts: If the score is still level after extra time, the shootouts will commence. Here, the strikers and goalies are kings, with bonuses of 20% and 50%, respectively. In the shootouts, the dice are rolled five times for each team (meaning a total of 10 rolls); once for each kick. If the score (bonuses included) of a roll is 3 or lower, the penalty is missed. If the score is 4 or higher, it's a goal. If the score between the teams is still level after each team has taken five penalties, sudden death will ensue, and each team take one kick each until we have a winner.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Sep 2007, 22:49

The quarterfinals have been played. A video of the matches is available here. Scores and commentaries to follow...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Sep 2007, 23:15

Another victory for the frost fighters! :hoo:
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Sep 2007, 23:32

Ladies and gentlemen, hunnies and bunnies, the quarterfinal round is completed. Updated results sheet available in Microsoft Excel format here.

Monkish Monkies - The Bumbling Bunnies 2-7
Being considered the faves in today's match against the Monkies, the Bunnies obliterated the opposition and firmly established themselves as one of the favourites to win the tournament. With the Bunnies' strikers running through the leaky defensive lines of the home team again and again, the only thing stopping this from becoming a total embarrassment and a two-digit defeat was an adept goalie. Being the only Monkies' player who fought to the bitter end, Sir Titan affirmed his position as a true knight who never gives up.

Frost Fighters - Great Summoners 5-3
As the captain himself said it: "Well, it started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle, and the less said about the end, the better. But, apart from that, excellent". The defensively oriented Summoners managed to score three once again, but against the all-out attacking strikers of the Frost Fighters it just proved too much in the end. The defence was run ragged throughout the match, and the score would have been quite lot higher had it not been for the adept goalie between the posts. Managing a dozen first-class saves one-on-one with the oncoming attackers, Summoners' captain Kalah was later approached by other teams wanting to sign a quality goalie. The future of the Great Summoners is in doubt, as Kalah yesterday hinted at the possibility of retirement, taking up a position on the RTC board instead.

Nukular Turbo Toasters - GInfo 5-4
Another team tipped to go all the way in this year's tournament is the Turbo Toasters. Led by the inspiring midfielder Vlad, the match turned out to be surprisingly one-sided. GInfo reduced the 2-0 lead early on, but the Toasters soon made it 4-1. The away team refused to give up their dream of a semi final and kept working, but the offensive lines proved inferior to the Toaster's hard-working midfield. Firing home two free kicks a few minutes from time, the score didn't reflect the truth of the home team's domination; they never really needed to get out of second gear to ensure victory.

The Atomic Sparrows - Velvet Nightmares 3-3 (3-4 after extra-time)
Two defensively oriented teams faced off in the arena in a fashion unbecoming of gentlemen. This was a battle, nothing less, and the referee had his hands full. Nine yellow cards total and a red for each team was the score at full time, and pundits criticized them all for the lack of finesse. When confronted by journalists after the match, however, both team leaders claimed: "This isn't a game for pussies; this is the way football should be played!" Some might describe it as "ugly", others as more of a rugby match than football. Nevertheless, after 90 minutes, the score was still even and extra-time needed to be played. Fighting the ball across the line a few minutes from time, the Nightmares were ecstatic as it became clear they were going to the semies. One can only pray they will moderate their playing style for that.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 24 Sep 2007, 01:16

Kalah wrote: Monkish Monkies - The Bumbling Bunnies 2-7
Being considered the faves in today's match against the Monkies, the Bunnies obliterated the opposition and firmly established themselves as one of the favourites to win the tournament. With the Bunnies' strikers running through the leaky defensive lines of the home team again and again, the only thing stopping this from becoming a total embarrassment and a two-digit defeat was an adept goalie. Being the only Monkies' player who fought to the bitter end, Sir Titan affirmed his position as a true knight who never gives up.
I knew it them bunnies are on steriods. :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 Sep 2007, 03:44

jeff wrote:
Kalah wrote: Monkish Monkies - The Bumbling Bunnies 2-7
I knew it them bunnies are on steriods. :D
now, now, no need to be bitter, the better team won on the day is all :D

oh and Corribus :tongue:
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 24 Sep 2007, 13:31

I demand a recount. :mad:
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 25 Sep 2007, 02:25

:)

At least, that won't affect your GPA (or at least be dangerously close to), like that stupid C I got in my Calc test...:sad:

Uncool...:cry:

On-topic: Nice round guys! Keep it up! :applause:
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 26 Sep 2007, 02:50

Those lazy monkeys... Need to look for a new team now.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 26 Sep 2007, 04:14

they just got beat by some inspired (doped) bunnies is all
On-topic: Nice round guys! Keep it up!
I hope to :S

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 26 Sep 2007, 22:34

asandir wrote:now, now, no need to be bitter, the better team won on the day is all :D
Oh we're not bitter afterall you treated us to a fine dinner after the game. :yummy:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Sep 2007, 01:18

jeff wrote:
asandir wrote:now, now, no need to be bitter, the better team won on the day is all :D
Oh we're not bitter afterall you treated us to a fine dinner after the game. :yummy:
nobody said we weren't good (tasting) winners :D

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 28 Sep 2007, 02:07

When are the prelims happening Kalah?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Sep 2007, 11:36

The what...? :?

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 28 Sep 2007, 12:02

Preliminaries.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Sep 2007, 12:04

Still don't get it. :?

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 28 Sep 2007, 12:05

I've heard it in Romanian football jargon before, but I don't have a clue what it means either.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 28 Sep 2007, 15:58

Wasn't the Championship in Semi Final stages? Fixtures please!! ;) The bookies are getting impatient..
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Return to “Campfire”