Great online nation-simulation game

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

Which do you like best?

Nation States
No votes
Cyber Nations
67%
Neither.
33%

Total votes: 3

Schmerdro
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Great online nation-simulation game

Unread postby Schmerdro » 21 Jan 2006, 14:53

A while ago, I made a topic about Nation States which is another nation-simulator but I found it gets boring and repetitive after a while and the system is not very deep either.

Now, Cyber Nations is a completely different story... it's like Nation States 2 but free and, I guess, with less options. It has the following features:

- war can be waged with other nations (only if that respective nation is not a "peaceful" nation and only if it has more than 1 soldiers); NS doesn't do this.
- you can even use nuclear weapons.
- you can buy land and infrastructure (which increases the population); in NS your population grows systematically which each passing day.
- you actually have some direct control over the tax rate; NS does this through issues, so it's a lot more innacurate.
- takes into account the happiness of your citizens (happier citizens make more money for your nation); NS doesn't do this.
- you can see and directly control your own "Nation Strength" value; NS rates your Civil Rights, Political Freedom, and Economic Strength seperately and through issues, which means that, again, you have a very weak control over those 3 values.

Now, the only advantages that NS has over CN are:
- NS is around 6 years old with thousands of users playing, while CN was made at the beginning of January 2006 and it only has around 250 nations.
- NS has those issues which are very narrow minded (imo) and which eventually repeat themselves.
- NS has a more detailed description of how your nation was affected by your issues but these numbers could loosely be controlled by the user and most of the issues were... just bad... random, extremist, sometimes hard to understand.
- NS had a small flag for each nation, CN doesn't.
- and finally, in NS you could "move in" to a region that allowed either nations that focus on peace, prosperity, and diversity, or others that focus on military, or others that focus on research etc. The regions had many features and it was a very cool idea... imo, it was the only reason why you would play NS, but you don't need NS to join a debate on politics.

Oooh, I can make a poll!..... meh, why not. Note: this topic is meant to be on any nation simulation game.

Edit: Just in case some of you are wondering: Nation States 2 was supposed to come out at the end of the year 2004... :| ... and it's settled that it will cost something like 5-10 dollars per month and you will be able to get a free trial.

Meh, this isn't a nation simulator but it has to do with politics so why not: Senate Seeker

Crusard
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Crusard » 21 Jan 2006, 15:52

You still like Web-Games? That time is over for me... I played managerZone and MechCrusaders, and all they've taught me is that they are a big waste of time for something you can't win :S

Schmerdro
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Schmerdro » 21 Jan 2006, 15:57

I don't play those kinds of web-games, only political ones. I'm hoping he'll add some daily political issues and maybe a debate forum like NS has... I already suggested this to the webmaster.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 21 Jan 2006, 16:01

Vote Cyber Nations. This is way better than Nation States, which was starting to get boring, and the issues were also starting to repeat themselves. Thanks for the link!
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 22 Jan 2006, 15:06

Vote Neither

These games are a big waste of time. Please if your going to sign up listen to me.

It may look cool now but in about 5 months for so (if that long) your going to be thinking 'Wow, this is boring. What a waste of time. I wish I hadn't started doing this.'

Trust me its happend to me about 3 different times. I've learned my lesson.
Be Without Haste
Live the Moment

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 22 Jan 2006, 15:18

Well then for 5 months or so it's going to be fun. If you can control yourself, there's nothing wrong with playing.

Schmerdro
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Schmerdro » 22 Jan 2006, 17:38

Echo_ wrote:It may look cool now but in about 5 months for so (if that long) your going to be thinking 'Wow, this is boring. What a waste of time. I wish I hadn't started doing this.'
You can say that exact same thing for a lot of computer games too, including Heroes III, IV and others. Plus, you're in no position to talk... you haven't even played the game yet. The site is still down because of a corrupt database error which happened yesterday. And, the game is still a work in progress, so if you give your suggestions to the admin, he might apply them.

Oh! I found some other political games:

http://www.positech.co.uk/democracy/index.html - it's about 24 MB if you download it from somewhere... after you buy it, of course... I mean, I would never encourage using some weird, illegal program to download this game.

http://bcs.worthpublishers.com/manki...&i=98070.01&o= - search for "Presidential Game" and click on it. It's an economics flash game. Pretty hard, but some of you might be into this kind of stuff.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 22 Jan 2006, 18:10

Its such a shame that database got corrupted in the exact same day I registered... 8| What if it was my nation's fault? 8|

;)

Return to “Campfire”