The Star Wars thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 19 Jan 2006, 18:09

Angelspit wrote:I didn't enjoy the Thrawn trilogy as much (even though it was definitely easier to read). The author originally meant to talk about the Sith as an alien race, but Lucas made him change his plans because of the eventual prequel movies. The results are a little disappointing.
Really? That wouldn't have made any sense, considering both the emperor and Darth Vader are/were human. Do you know of any novels that go into the history of the Sith? The Jedi Academy books touch on it a bit, but not a whole lot.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Jan 2006, 18:11

Echo_ wrote:Star trek owns Star wars any day of the week endining Y.
So SW rules in every non-english speaking country?

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 20 Jan 2006, 04:44

Mutare Drake wrote:@ Psychobabble - never played the CG, either one. Was it any good? I've played Magic for years and have avoided starting into any others for fear of spending as much money and getting so addicted again.
The Decipher CCG is apparently regarded as one of the best CCGs ever made. It still pulls the third largest tourney crowd (behind pokemon and MTG) at Origins etc even though it's been "dead" for 6 years and I certainly enjoy it. If you're interested in it PM me. The game's out of print, so you don't have any risk of spending money :), you can just play for free online (decipher doesn't bother prosecuting I guess, cause they can't make any money anymore).

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Jan 2006, 06:58

Kristo wrote: Really? That wouldn't have made any sense, considering both the emperor and Darth Vader are/were human. Do you know of any novels that go into the history of the Sith? The Jedi Academy books touch on it a bit, but not a whole lot.
Do you mean there is a book based on the history from the game Jedi Academy or something else?

I dont know of any good novels fulfilling missing Sith info, still I learnt alot from the KOTOR games, about the different Sith Lords 4-5000 years before Episode 1.

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 20 Jan 2006, 11:52

@ Kristo - I read the first of the Thrawn trilogy, not sure how much I liked it. Probably would've been better had I read the rest of it. One more to add to the list of hundreds of books I want to read...

@ Psychobabble - Thanks for the offer, but again I'm big-time trying to avoid anything possibly addicting these days. Coming on here is already taking lots of time from schoolwork and stuff... ;)
That's very impressive that the game attracts such a crowd though, wow. I'll ask a friend though, he's a SW freak and seems to get into CG and all for whatever he's interested in.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 20 Jan 2006, 14:58

Kristo: here is the Databank article related to the Noghri and their affiliation to the Sith:
In the development of his Thrawn Trilogy of novels, author Timothy Zahn drafted out a number of ideas that were disapproved for treading too close to material that George Lucas was to address in the prequel trilogy.

One idea that Zahn postulated was that the Sith were a species of killers in servitude to Darth Vader -- Dark Lord of the Sith. The idea was that Vader's gruesome mask was a stylized depiction of a Sith face. The idea was abandoned, and Zahn's Sith became the Noghri. Although not said in the text, it is hinted that the Noghri bear more than a passing resemblance to Vader's facemask.
The Clone wars novels I read didn't talk about the Sith either. As Orfinn said, the KOTOR games are much more informative about that topic, and even take some liberties at times. Even if you're not a RPG fan, these games would be worth your time just for the storyline.

Mutare Drake: the two other books were similar to the first one. There is a vague similarity to the classic movies, with all books ending with a gigantic space battle scene, but after a while there is no real surprise and one of the characters is just annoying. I enjoyed the Clone wars books a lot more.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 22 Jan 2006, 10:56

Angelspit wrote: The Clone wars novels I read didn't talk about the Sith either. As Orfinn said, the KOTOR games are much more informative about that topic, and even take some liberties at times. Even if you're not a RPG fan, these games would be worth your time just for the storyline.
Much more informative, if you want to learn about Sith origin and history the kotor games is a must.

I learnt that the sith were once a single race but died out thousand of years before the kotor games, think it was 1-2000 years before the first kotor. The sith that rules kotor 1&2 and all the movies are just people that keep the evil tradition from ancient knowledge of the Sith :hoo:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jan 2006, 12:53

Orfinn wrote:
Angelspit wrote: The Clone wars novels I read didn't talk about the Sith either. As Orfinn said, the KOTOR games are much more informative about that topic, and even take some liberties at times. Even if you're not a RPG fan, these games would be worth your time just for the storyline.
Much more informative, if you want to learn about Sith origin and history the kotor games is a must.

I learnt that the sith were once a single race but died out thousand of years before the kotor games, think it was 1-2000 years before the first kotor. The sith that rules kotor 1&2 and all the movies are just people that keep the evil tradition from ancient knowledge of the Sith :hoo:

God i loved KotOR. Too bad they butchered the end on KotOR 2!

Here's some stuff that never made it ingame: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php ... 29764&st=0

There was also a site that had mp3's of the scenes! Kreia was Handmaiden's mom

EDIT: here's the site for the mp3: http://tubertarian.com/kotor2missingcontent.php
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 22 Jan 2006, 14:20

Is this just me being picky and thinking about SW too much, or is this deliberate? The creatures Ewok and Wookiee (sp, sorry) are almost the same, just the words are cut in half and the syllables switched. (E-wok -> Wok-E (wookiee))

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 22 Jan 2006, 14:40

Thunder Titan wrote: God i loved KotOR. Too bad they butchered the end on KotOR 2!

Here's some stuff that never made it ingame: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php ... 29764&st=0

There was also a site that had mp3's of the scenes! Kreia was Handmaiden's mom

EDIT: here's the site for the mp3: http://tubertarian.com/kotor2missingcontent.php
I have no words for the hatred I feel for those who cuts cool,funny interesting stuff in games (and movies) Its so shameful! :grumpy: :flame: Producers, Developers lose more money in the long run if they rush the game for shipping it as early as possible for fast credits than they who cares for the fans and make a good game that lasts alot longer than cutted games. They who cut and realease games ASAP are only hurting themself for their own stupidity! At least they deserve it, with angry fans on the top please! :devil:

Mutare Drake wrote:Is this just me being picky and thinking about SW too much, or is this deliberate? The creatures Ewok and Wookiee (sp, sorry) are almost the same, just the words are cut in half and the syllables switched. (E-wok -> Wok-E (wookiee))
Thats right Lucas mentioned that in a interwiew in the beginning of the VHS version of Return of the Jedi (New Hope and Empire Strikes Back also had such interwiews), none of the interwiews were added in the DVD versions :|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jan 2006, 15:03

Mutare Drake wrote:Is this just me being picky and thinking about SW too much, or is this deliberate? The creatures Ewok and Wookiee (sp, sorry) are almost the same, just the words are cut in half and the syllables switched. (E-wok -> Wok-E (wookiee))

I heard that at first in Ep. VI, instead of Ewoks there were supposed to be Wookies, but they put in the ewoks because they wanted to make toys for children.

Nice Sith Timeline:
# c. 24,500 BBY - 24,400 BBY - Xendor and students leave the Jedi Order in The Great Schism
# 7,000 BBY - Banished from known space, the Dark Jedi arrive on Korriban after The Hundred-Year Darkness, where they discover the Sith people.
# 5,000 BBY - Naga Sadow defeated in The Great Hyperspace War
# c. 4,400 BBY - Jedi Knight Freedon Nadd falls to the dark side and is trained by the awakened Naga Sadow
# c. 4,000 BBY - Exar Kun finds and destroys the spirit of Freedon Nadd. Kun takes fallen Jedi Ulic Qel-Droma as his first apprentice and begins the Great Sith War.
# c. 3,960 BBY - Jedi Knight Revan, hero of the Mandalorian Wars, discovers a deserted academy belonging to the old Sith Empire and forms a new sect of Sith.
# 3,959 BBY – 3,956 BBY - Revan builds an army using the Star Forge and makes war upon the Republic. Many more Jedi fall to the dark side before Revan eventually returns to the light.
# 3,956 BBY - 3,951 BBY - Darth Traya, Darth Nihilus and Darth Sion wage a shadow war upon the devastated Republic, but are eventually defeated by the Jedi Exile.
# c. 2,000 BBY - Darth Ruin, another fallen Jedi, forms a new Sith order and begains the New Sith Wars. Lasting a millennium, by 1,466 BBY the Sith conquer all of known space outside the Colonies.
# 2,000 BBY - 1,000 BBY - The Sith prove to be their own undoing, as internal struggles for power destroy their organization. Lord Kaan unites the survivors under the Brotherhood of Darkness and grants the title of "Dark Lord" to many Sith.
# 1,000 BBY - Both Jedi and Sith armies are destroyed the Battle of Ruusan, leaving Darth Bane the only survivor. To ensure the continued survival of the Sith, Bane institutes the Rule of Two.
# c. 32 BBY - The Sith go into hiding for nearly one thousand years, resurfacing again when Darth Sidious orchestrates the Battle of Naboo.
# 22 BBY- 19 BBY - Darth Sidious and Darth Tyranus iniciate the Clone Wars, and many Jedi die or turn to the dark side.
# 19 BBY - Darth Vader becomes Sidious' new apprentice. The Galactic Empire is established by Darth Sidious.
# 19 BBY - 1 BBY - Darth Sidious takes efforts to eradicate the Jedi in the Great Jedi Purge.
# 4 ABY - Vader is turned back to the light side of the Force by Luke Skywalker, resulting in the deaths of both Sidious and Vader.
# 11 ABY - Last known death of Palpatine, presumed extinction of the Sith Order.
# 11 ABY+ - Rumors abound of a last Sith, a Emperor's Hand, named Lumiya. However, such rumors have not yet been confirmed.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jan 2006, 15:17

Orfinn wrote: I have no words for the hatred I feel for those who cuts cool,funny interesting stuff in games (and movies) Its so shameful! :grumpy: :flame: Producers, Developers lose more money in the long run if they rush the game for shipping it as early as possible for fast credits than they who cares for the fans and make a good game that lasts alot longer than cutted games. They who cut and realease games ASAP are only hurting themself for their own stupidity! At least they deserve it, with angry fans on the top please! :devil:
The nasty thing is that most of the time it's the Publisher's fault (especialy as they own the franchise), but the Developers get the short end of the stick, while the Publisher's just go on ruining other Developers.
And it's even worse in KotOR 2 because the story was incredible up to the end, when you just go "WTF!? That was it?"

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 23 Jan 2006, 00:57

ThunderTitan wrote:I heard that at first in Ep. VI, instead of Ewoks there were supposed to be Wookies, but they put in the ewoks because they wanted to make toys for children.
...which then made some people dislike RotJ because of the little teddy bears running around. Whatever, I suppose marketing is marketing, and hey - people still love(d) SW.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Jan 2006, 02:56

Has anyone seen the new Star Wars novel in store? It's called Dark Lord (or something like that) and tells the story of Darth Vader following the events of Episode III. It's only available in hard cover at the moment, but I think I'll buy the paperback edition when it comes out. It's written by James Luceno, the same who wrote Labyrinth of Evil (which was ok).
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Friend_of_Gunnar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Friend_of_Gunnar » 23 Jan 2006, 06:02

One of my favorite websites is the comedy/satire website pointless waste of time

He just posted an article on the best 10 science fiction movies that were never made that makes some references to Star Wars. It's some pretty funny stuff...
(I warn you though the rest of the website can get a little ribald sometimes)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Jan 2006, 16:14

Mutare Drake wrote: ...which then made some people dislike RotJ because of the little teddy bears running around. Whatever, I suppose marketing is marketing, and hey - people still love(d) SW.

Strong the darkside is. Master Lucas' fall long ago started.

Fenris
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Fenris » 24 Jan 2006, 20:47

ThunderTitan wrote:
Mutare Drake wrote: ...which then made some people dislike RotJ because of the little teddy bears running around. Whatever, I suppose marketing is marketing, and hey - people still love(d) SW.

Strong the darkside is. Master Lucas' fall long ago started.
Personly I would rather have a Wookie-toy than a Ewok-toy. Although a Ewok-toy would be fun for experiments like classic what-happens-to-toy-in-micro-oven?
Hey, I know where we are! We're in that place where I didn't know where we were before!

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 24 Jan 2006, 20:59

Fenris, you're terrible. ;)

Heck, who wants a wookie or ewok? I wanna blaster or a lightsaber.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 Jan 2006, 21:02

And an X-wing ;)
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Jan 2006, 22:00

I'm kinda impartial to force powers. Both dark and light. Me? Greedy! Neahhh...

Return to “Campfire”