Alone in the universe?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 18 Feb 2007, 07:19

Not way around ?
Caradoc wrote:I thought it might be fun to discuss the question of whether we are alone in the universe. Are there other intelligent beings 'out there'? And have we seen anything of them around here?
Are there other intelligent beings 'out there'?

Might be. But should be considered not anyway.

And have we seen anything of them around here?

No in case we're communicating with them. The cost is outstripped the benefit in many-fold anyway.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 18 Feb 2007, 17:19

In Holland there is a comedian who said something that I found particularly interesting:

'There are 2 possibilities: there are, or there aren't any aliens. If there are aliens, there are another 2 possiblilities: either they are smarter then us, or they are dumber. If they are smarter, they'll find us, before we'll find them, if they are dumber I want nothing to do with them. So in all cases the money invested in searching extra-terrastial life is waisted.'

I think that's an interesting thought.
Grah!

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 18 Feb 2007, 17:35

Thelonious wrote:In Holland there is a comedian who said something that I found particularly interesting:

'There are 2 possibilities: there are, or there aren't any aliens. If there are aliens, there are another 2 possiblilities: either they are smarter then us, or they are dumber. If they are smarter, they'll find us, before we'll find them, if they are dumber I want nothing to do with them. So in all cases the money invested in searching extra-terrastial life is waisted.'

I think that's an interesting thought.
Or maybe if they are smarter than us, they don't want anything to do with us (my personal belief) if they are dumber than us, they might eventually find us but have no idea what they are getting into.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Feb 2007, 17:43

Would we really be worth contacting in the eyes of an advanced alien spiecies?
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 18 Feb 2007, 18:16

I blame the Kreegans and their stupid silence :disagree:

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 18 Feb 2007, 18:47

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Would we really be worth contacting in the eyes of an advanced alien spiecies?
That would depend on what they were after.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 04 Mar 2007, 06:44

Seeing as mankind is (currently) a self destructing and agressive species, any intelligent life that happens by us would take about 2 seconds to figure out they would be better off either exterminating us or going the other way...fast. Heck we can not stop fighting ammongst ourselves because of 'differences', they will realize that there is no way we could coexsist with them. So it is probably a good thing so far no space race has found us (or if they have they quickly decided it was best NOT to contact us). If we could stop hating each other for frivilous differences for 2 seconds we might actually solve some of the worlds problems.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 04 Mar 2007, 09:22

The thing is, would you want the worlds problems or keep it this way?
Because the people in charge on this earth gain more and more power by keeping things this way. Why do you think the global warming is only starting to get some real attention now? Why is it so that Africa isn't allready industrialised?

Because there are a few people in this world who want to keep things this way, who want to keep being in charge. And if they can gain power by supplying weapons, or creating weapons, then there has to be war to use those weapons.
Grah!

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 05 Mar 2007, 05:28

There is a possibility that ETs might find us entertaining. We could be some intergallactic reality program being beamed into holo-vids everywhere. That's why they don't make contact, but always seem to be hovering around. They are filming us.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Mar 2007, 10:18

Caradoc wrote:They are filming us.
Why those bastards... i demand to be payed.
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 05 Mar 2007, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 05 Mar 2007, 10:26

Caradoc wrote:There is a possibility that ETs might find us entertaining. We could be some intergallactic reality program being beamed into holo-vids everywhere. That's why they don't make contact, but always seem to be hovering around. They are filming us.
Yeah and it is called "How not to run a planet" or "How to ruin a world!"
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 05 Mar 2007, 10:43

Ah, that movie will never stop.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 05 Mar 2007, 11:06

Caradoc wrote:There is a possibility that ETs might find us entertaining. We could be some intergallactic reality program being beamed into holo-vids everywhere. That's why they don't make contact, but always seem to be hovering around. They are filming us.
See South Park episode "Cancelled" (7x4)
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 05 Mar 2007, 14:59

Mytical wrote:Yeah and it is called "How not to run a planet" or "How to ruin a world!"
You speak as if it is not inevitable that any intelligent life form would not run into the same problems that we have, that somehow (if there is other intelligent life out there) we are the only beings who would have made mistakes along the way. I do not believe that is a justifiable assumption. If other intelligent beings are out there I think it is reasonable to assume that they, too, would have encountered the same problems. They, like us, would have religion, nationality, morals and race as a cause for war. They, like us, would have technologies that contribute to problems with their own ecosystem. They, like us, would have to tackle overpopulation. They, like us, would have humanlike frailities such as greed, envy, malice. They, like us, would have despots, terrorists, zealots, slavery, rape, murder, drugs, serial killers, prostitution, poverty, political parties, religious sects, revolutions and contentious political strife. Just as they, like us, would probably have the capacity for great things, like love, art, science and philosophy. Certainly, if they are sufficiently more advanced than us to know about us much less to be able to visit our planet, it is conceivable that they would have solved many of the problems that we face now (and they no doubt faced at one time). But by the same token, they most likely would be facing their own problems, problems that we no doubt will likely face in the future.

My point is that you speak with a certainty that screwing up everything is a problem restricted only to humans on Earth. I contend that it's probably more of an intergalactic trait of intelligent life.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 05 Mar 2007, 17:17

Well said.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 05 Mar 2007, 18:20

A lot of the behaviors that Corribus mentions can be attributed to our origins as Primates. Would an insect-based intelligence have the same problems, I wonder?
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 05 Mar 2007, 18:32

Caradoc wrote:A lot of the behaviors that Corribus mentions can be attributed to our origins as Primates. Would an insect-based intelligence have the same problems, I wonder?
No. They would have sex, kill their mate, eat the corpse, and not feel guilty about it afterwards. :D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 05 Mar 2007, 18:34

That would suck. Not only would you have to worry about getting the woman pregnant or getting an STD, but you'd have to worry about being a meal. Adds a new spin to the term "eating out."
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Mar 2007, 20:52

Corribus wrote:No. They would have sex, kill their mate, eat the corpse, and not feel guilty about it afterwards. :D
What's to feel guilty about? Making sure the kids don't starve? More power to them I say.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 06 Mar 2007, 06:08

You may be absolutely correct Corribus, or.. they could have actually came to the conclusion that disliking people because of beliefs, color, age, nationality, et al is self defeating. Or they could have a hive mind, so no conflicts ever took place. Or they could be non-corporal and never had to face the same things as we did...or any of a couple thousand other things. Not that it could not happen, but honestly the chances of them being anything like us is rather slim. Now I know there are good people, and that humans do good things, but until we get over our petty differences we are not any better then bacteria. Multiply/consume/spread.

Return to “Campfire”