RT Game Thread: Rules & Regs

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 14 Jan 2007, 04:31

:rofl:

I like it. It's interesting. :D Let's see what everyone else thinks...
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 14 Jan 2007, 09:04

Mytical wrote:Bachelors (and Bachelorettes) of CH would be an interesting game.
Hmm... You would have to accept volunteers and I'm afraid we wouldn't have too many volunteers to be auctioned off. It can be cruel to be the last kid picked for kickball.

Another auction could work but we should wait a while to start it -3 months or so - otherwise participation may wane.

The one thing that I think would be fun would be to have a Map of the Month (or week) club for each of the older games (or at least HOMM 2-4). Each Week, we could anounce a map that is available for download on CH (by the way... can we start carrying some HOMM2 maps - I am jonesing to play some new maps). This could take up several threads in the HOMM 1-4 Game Discussion Area. We could vote between maps to play... And then we could play them and discuss them.

MOTM: H4 - Draconic
MOTM: H3 - Astrogonia
MOTM: H2 - ??? (no HOMM2 maps at CH)
MOTM: H4 - The Dancing Crusader
MOTM: H3 - Sander’s Folly

Anyway... This way we can get threads going for the maps and we can also dust off the older games.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 14 Jan 2007, 10:56

Seek, Find, Post! Seek, Find, Post! Seek, Find, Post!

Bachelors (and Bachelorettes) ?

How does that work?
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 14 Jan 2007, 11:05

The basic idea is that each person who wants to bid would be given an identical ammount of money. First up it would be the ladies bidding, with the gentlemen up for bid. Only a little bit would be know about each supplied to the one running the show by the bachelors themselves (no names, just a little tidbit of info). The bidding would proceed much like the Million gp game, with the highest winner 'winning' the bachelor. Of course, it is just a game, so nothing actually would transpire after. Then the ladies would volunteer and the guys would get a chance to bid. Again not knowing who they are actually bidding on besides the tidbit they got from the auctioneer. Would proceed like that till we had the winners. Since the ladies are way outnumbered, they would get more money, and their would be more males 'purchased' then females (they can bid on more then one after all). Since there are fewer females on the board, some HoMM females would be available also, to even things out a bit. Though males would start with fewer funds individually they would have more collective money. Again they won't know if they are bidding on a HoMM or CH girl besides the little tidbit they get.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 14 Jan 2007, 15:28

The lack of H2 maps at RT is unfortunate. Since maphaven has gone dormant, perhaps AS can get access to Dragonsister's archives.

I think a map of the month would be an interesting idea.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Jan 2007, 15:46

I don't have much time to expand the map database at the moment, but if anyone is willing to help (contacting DragonSister, uploading maps, entering the maps in the database), I could give him or her the appropriate permissions.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 20 Jan 2007, 09:24

No decision about my suggestion yet? Oh and another odd question..why has this never been stickied? :) Just curious.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Jan 2007, 12:46

It was stickied at one point, but people didn't read it...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 20 Jan 2007, 20:40

So, up to now, there's two game ideas I like:

1. Mytical's Bachelor (and Bachelorette) game.
2. gravyluvr's next HOMM auction (whether it'd be 3 or 5)

I would do the auction myself, but I don't understand exactly how to do it (that, and my classes started again, so I fear I may not have any time to update it).

If gravyluvr makes the HOMM3 auction, I got dibs on the Tome of Water Magic and the Orb of Driving Rain! :devious:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Jan 2007, 21:22

winterfate wrote: 2. gravyluvr's next HOMM auction (whether it'd be 3 or 5)
One for 5 wouldn't take a month. Do 3 next gravy.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Jan 2007, 23:09

I'll authorize a new auction, no problem... but please let's have a break from it first - we've been playing it for a year now... The other thing, I dunno. Maybe if there are enough participants.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 21 Jan 2007, 00:49

Kalah wrote:I'll authorize a new auction, no problem... but please let's have a break from it first - we've been playing it for a year now... The other thing, I dunno. Maybe if there are enough participants.
Lets at least take a month between the "auction" games.

Also... although I think an HOMM3 auction would be a great game, I have an idea for a fun game that could be played in between the HOMM4 auction and an HOMM3 auction.

"The HOMM3 Fantasy Draft"

In HOMM3, we have 128 heroes in the base game + 16 Conflux and 1 Knight from the AB expansion set (145 heroes). I'd like to start a sign-up thread that would invite players to participate in a draft. Each player in the game will be designated the King or Queen of their own Kingdom (or Queendom?). Each player will name their kingdom. Once the kingdoms have been decided we will randomize the order of the draft and then hold a draft for the leaders of your kingdom's army.

8 Simple Rules
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1. The draft will be in a serpentine style (1-10. 10-1, 1-10, 10-1, etc)
2. You have 48 hours to make your pick (from the last posted pick)
3. If you do not make your pick then the next person may pick.
4. They will only have 24 hours to pick (only on skipped picks)
5. If you have been skipped - you may make your pick as soon as you have an opportunity.
6. The same hero can not be picked more than once.
7. No kingdom may carry more than 8 heroes (just like in the game)
8. If over 18 players sign up then we will limit the number of heroes per kingdom to 7 (20 players) or 6 (24 players), but no more than 24 players could participate in the game.

Thoughts?

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 21 Jan 2007, 00:59

I like that Fantasy Draft idea, gravyluvr!

I already know who my first pick is going to be! :devious:

But, how does that serpentine style work? (I'm not much of a sports fan, so I don't understand those drafting things).

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 21 Jan 2007, 01:14

You reverse the draft order after each round so if you have...

Round 1. John, Jim, Joe, Jack, Julio, Jerry, James, Jerod, Julian, Jeff
Round 2. Jeff, Julian, Jerod, James, Jerry, Julio, Jack, Joe, Jim, John
Round 3. John, Jim, Joe, Jack, Julio, Jerry, James, Jerod, Julian, Jeff
Round 4. Jeff, Julian, Jerod, James, Jerry, Julio, Jack, Joe, Jim, John

etc...

They call it a serpentine draft because it snakes around.

This way if you get rewarded with the First overall pick it's not as big an advantage since everyone will pick twice before you next pick.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 21 Jan 2007, 01:19

Ok I see! Thanks gravyluvr!

How will the pick order be decided?

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 21 Jan 2007, 06:55

Still thinking about that. If I don't take part then I could pick the order by random draw. But I might want to play so we'll either need a non-player to draw the names or find a web tool that will do it for us so everyone will trust the original order.

If it's a go, I'll create a thread for sign ups. By giving the RT members ample time to sign up, we should give oursleves at least three to four weeks for the sign up process and that should be a pretty good break.

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 21 Jan 2007, 06:59

That would be nice. :D

You can count me in! Let's see what the other members think. :D

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 21 Jan 2007, 07:01

Hmm just thought of something. Since so very few females peruse this board may have to end up doing just a HoMM version. Both do to lack of female bidders and lack of female volunteers. Going to post for volunteers for both (bidders and bidee) to see however (for future not for right now).

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 21 Jan 2007, 18:38

@Caladont... as I said... without DL it's no fun... so I guess it's better off closing it...

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 22 Jan 2007, 12:50

Gaidal Cain
This thread seems to have degenerated from a game with a scoreboard into just "post somewhat as per the rules". Thus, it's closed until further notice.
Now WHY is it that because ONE person said it was "No fun without DL" that the game was closed? There were at least 6 of us still playing it. Just because there was no one keeping score, it becomes a "non-game"? That is just not fair.

Caladont was the only game on the boards that I personally enjoyed. It is a simple word game that caused people to pick up a dictionary or visit a dictionary site and hunt around for suitable answers. It is at least semi-intellectual.

Just because people like Okrane lost interest in it, does not mean that the rest of us did. Not everyone plays a game to WIN... some of us play just to enjoy the game. Points are not always the object.

Further more, I do not understand what GC ment by "post somewhat as per the rules" - as far as I could tell, those of us who were still playing WERE following the rules. We used at least two letters of the prior word.... no proper nouns... No one posted within 5 answers of themselves... some of us (at least me!) actually tried to find words that would give the next person a better chance at finding a suitable answer.

As mentioned before in this thread, I personaly prefer games that do not involve one person posting a question, then several trying to answer it and waiting on the first person to say Right or Wrong. Just keep moving along. What is wrong with that?

Why can't we have a "Non Competitive" game if we want one?

Return to “Campfire”