Christmas depression

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jan 2007, 01:19

On the 7th, right? Guess we'll be wishing you Happy Incresed Suicide Rate Day on sunday then.

stefan.urlus wrote:
Nothing beats the holiday blues like childrens laughter
or any blues for that matter, it's such a pure sound
Purely annoying maybe. But i wonder, did you always think like this or just after getting the little monsters.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jan 2007, 01:58

Why do you two insist on reviving old topics with nonsense? Have you learned nothing? If you want to take part in this discussion with something constructive, please do so. Otherwise, please refrain from taking part at all.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jan 2007, 02:36

Kalah wrote:Why do you two insist on reviving old topics with nonsense?
How exactly is DL saying that Christmas didn't come where he's from nonsense? Or me asking stefan a question i couldn't when i wanted not constructive?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 04 Jan 2007, 02:46

It has nothing to do with the topic. You know, the title of the thread and the first post that lays down ca what is meant to be discussed. Not to mention your uncalled for snarks about suicide, which you would do good to not make too many jokes about in a public forum.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jan 2007, 03:13

Yes, this is a serious topic and I want discussion, not snappy comments. Here, let me show you how:

Christmas is a time which reminds people more than any other time of the year that they are alone. Having nobody to celebrate with, nobody to eat with or talk to during the Holidays cause many people to feel depressed, whereas in other parts of the year they cope by dealing with everyday tasks. At Christmas, the main "task" to be dealt with traditionally is to spend time with family and friends... which can be quite difficult if you have none...
I am of course not talking about the loaner in a cabin in the middle of nowehere, nor about the antisocial; this is in fact quite a problem for many elderly. Most of their old friends passed away, perhaps... not all have any family to speak of... Here in Norway there is a brilliant setup for elderly in Oslo, where a guy set up an event for the elderly and lonely to come to his centre and eat and sing and be merry during the Holidays... and this year he actually had to turn people away because the centre was full. That demonstrates that this is a real problem - something the government should get their hands on to a greater extent as well.
Let us proceed with another problem which may be added to the issue of Christmas depression; namely that of the so-called "Winter depression". For those of you who haven't heard of it, this form of depression is believed by some to occur in the far northern and southern hemispheres in their respective winters, when the sun doesn't show up for several months. While scientific studies here in Norway actually show that winter depression is a myth and not a real existing psychological phenomenon, it does occur in the same time as Christmas, and the fact that it is dark all day might add to the effect suffered by people with Christmas depression. Dark, cold, lonely. Doesn't sound too much like a merry Christmas to me...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Jan 2007, 03:57

You want serrious?Ok,you spend the whole year worrying about your job,your bills,your partner that doesnt understand you,or lack of a partner,but you manage to get by somehow.Ah,but then comes christmas and new years,and a couple more hollydays when instead of using your vacation for resting,you must spend it on buying gifts for everyone you know,wheter you like them or not,or else theyll tell bad things behind your back,thus turning your friends against you.And you are bound to make someone unhappy,because you simply cannot guess what each person will and will not like.Hows that for stress?Furthermore,because christmass is usually a time of year when people decide to restart their lives,there are lots of break ups and divorces,thus adding additional stress.

Lucky for me,I dont give a rats afivefive about what other people talk about me,dont have to worry about work,dont care what date of the year is it,and always have women by my side.Life is good :devil:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jan 2007, 04:32

See, if you had just skipped that last bit, the post wouldn't have been half bad. :|

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Jan 2007, 04:35

Ah,but the last part is crucial,because it adds more hollyday depression to those that do care about what others think,that do care what date it is,that do work,and that dont have a (wo)man by their side :devil:

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 04 Jan 2007, 04:40

and that dont have a (wo)man by their side
:wall:

Low blow! You don't have to remind me of my current status of single. :(
See, if you had just skipped that last bit, the post wouldn't have been half bad.
That's the problem, Kalah ;). All of his posts are half-bad :tongue:. But, CH would feel strange without him (or TT).
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Jan 2007, 05:00

winterfate wrote:CH would feel strange without him (or TT).
:disagree:

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 04 Jan 2007, 05:29

Ok, I give up...I must admit that the time spent here WITHOUT them was special (and one could have whole conversations without being interrupted by spam!) :D.

Does that sum up the reason why you're using the :disagree: smilie? ;)
The Round Table's birthday list!
Proud creator of Caladont 2.0!
You need to take the pain, learn from it and get back on that bike... - stefan
Sometimes the hearts most troubled make the sweetest melodies... - winterfate

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jan 2007, 10:55

Kalah wrote:See, if you had just skipped that last bit, the post wouldn't have been half bad. :|
So you want us to state the obvious without any sarcasm. Got it.

The most depressing thing about Christmas is that ppl just expect everyone to be happy just coz it's Christmas.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 04 Jan 2007, 11:18

Why would anyone be sad at Christmas? It's the birthsday of the little Jesus, your best friend! He is always with you. Even if you are poor like a somalian beggar, hopelesly single like a Quasimodo-like hermit living in the desert, bearing all the nasty diseases known to mankind, you should not worry, because he loves you! He even sacrificed himself for you! What more do you need? Be thankfull, you moron! Don't even dare to feel depressed at Christmas! Join hands with the handsome millionaire nextdoor, who has the best woman you ever saw, and a Ferrari too, (Jesus loves him just the same), and sing a happy song to praise the glory of the Almighty!
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Jan 2007, 12:11

Christmas depression...Winter depression. :|

Here, as you may tell, Christmas happens during the summer. Although it brings up some interesting TV commercials with the Santa using sunglasses and going surfing (80% off!), and there's also the furor of hanging out, the feeling of missing people is all the same. At least, I say that from my part and some of my friends. It's not because, not that much at all, we really miss parents. That's is mainly for vacation matters. In this country, the main vacations happen at the end of the year, and that's when you'll think properly on what to do. If you're alone, just like me, it gets an uncomfortable feeling that something won't do, that your very existence is not really important, even for you. I was glad coming back to work, where I could busy my mind with something else. But this Christmas was nice. I went visiting my sister at another city some 1.000 km away, as she is my nearer relative these days. We went out, talked about so many things, but she had to work. At the time she went working and I stayed home, that heavy feeling got on me again.

So, that's a rather confusing feeling. That's like thinking on losing the time, when you could be doing something useful, although I cannot tell what kind of useful thing I look for. Yesterday I was at the gym and I was depressed. Strangely, I was feeling cheerful at the same time.

I think I need a girlfriend, a bride or just a friend to be with for a while, even if there'll be no words to be said, since I think my lack of understanding of what's happening is all about having someone next to me, who I can do something useful for. ;|

Maybe I must worry less about what I have to do and just do whatever comes in my mind, regardless if it'll be of some use. Maybe a need a scape goat to distress from this unexplainable feeling.

Hum, having fun during Christmas and New Year celebrations must also end up causing depression when you get old, because of nostalgy - you miss those who you lived with and had fun with. The question is what to do when you have no more friends or people you can go out with. So it ends up on what Kalah said - elderly must regroup and make friends all again. That's the fun of it. Why end meeting people just because you get old? If other people forget about you, you must not forget them, but you cannot blame yourself or them either. You must find people who suit you in the meantime. Those other people who forgot you will remember you at a certain period of the year, when they feel alone, which, saddly, sometimes may not match with your lonely time - for that I say is a commom problem. So people end up living alone, but never trying to fill up the emptiness left by the lack of love or friendship.

Ow, I like coming here. Somehow, it fills a bit of the emptiness of my soul. That's something I can do - finding people and friends, even if just through words and bit of pics, but at least you know they're real and that they'll listen to you, specially because someone started that conversation. Then, at least someone will keep it going - so we are not alone at all. :)

Disclaimer:
May contain English mispellings.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 04 Jan 2007, 13:42

So, that's a rather confusing feeling. That's like thinking on losing the time, when you could be doing something useful, although I cannot tell what kind of useful thing I look for.
I suppose the lack of obligations and general mood of relaxation helps in this direction. I have felt bored at times but wasn't in the mood of doing something constructive or didn't know what I could do to make my time worth it. Pathetic of me :disagree:
At least most of the time I'm in a good mood and there are things I can help with. It seems everyone needs a motivation, a cheelful mood doesn't come on its own!
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Jan 2007, 14:31

Veldrynus wrote:Why would anyone be sad at Christmas? It's the birthsday of the little Jesus, your best friend! He is always with you. Even if you are poor like a somalian beggar, hopelesly single like a Quasimodo-like hermit living in the desert, bearing all the nasty diseases known to mankind, you should not worry, because he loves you! He even sacrificed himself for you! What more do you need? Be thankfull, you moron! Don't even dare to feel depressed at Christmas! Join hands with the handsome millionaire nextdoor, who has the best woman you ever saw, and a Ferrari too, (Jesus loves him just the same), and sing a happy song to praise the glory of the Almighty!
You know,if I was that pathetic guy you mentioned first,Id gladly join hands with that millionare,if only to give him a few of those diseases you mentioned :devil:

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 04 Jan 2007, 14:49

DaemianLucifer wrote: You know,if I was that pathetic guy you mentioned first,Id gladly join hands with that millionare,if only to give him a few of those diseases you mentioned :devil:
That's the idea. Even if you feel miserable, you always get the chance of the joy of making other people feel miserable as well. That's the true spirit of Christmas!
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Jan 2007, 15:00

Elvin wrote: At least most of the time I'm in a good mood and there are things I can help with. It seems everyone needs a motivation, a cheelful mood doesn't come on its own!
Aye. That shall explain Christimas spirit. There are not, nowadays, much people interested on old tales and Jesus stuff. For those, Christmas is nothing more than a day for gifts. What could be a cheerful mood if not brought by presents. If you gather with other people who doesn't care about gifts nor religion affairs, there's no mood left, and they'll hold on each other, thinking they have a different feeling for that own, and this chain or thoughts may raise a cheeful mood. It may be called Hope what makes people gather and enjoy.

If you stick alone, you stick with yourself, your beliefs. If you don't give meaning to that day, you'll depend on your own spirit, mood. ;|
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 04 Jan 2007, 18:31

I've been an atheist since I was a kid, but Christmas is still a special time for me. It brings back memories of my childhood and loved ones who a now departed. The spirit of the season and the joy of celebration make it the high point of the year.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jan 2007, 19:36

Aren't atheists supposed to hate everything about religion and consider religious ppl crazy?!

Return to “Campfire”