Fantasy style

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

Read the post!

Fairy Tales
No votes
Myth and Legends alike
25%
Adventure
13%
Modern
No votes
Realistic
25%
dark/apocaliptic
38%

Total votes: 8

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 11 Dec 2006, 22:58

Not as I recall it 8|
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 11 Dec 2006, 23:07

Me neither.Last I checked they were a bit more...innocent.Of course times change :devil:
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 11 Dec 2006, 23:10

maybe we're talking about a different Fairy Tale?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Dec 2006, 23:11

Elvin wrote:Me neither.Last I checked they were a bit more...innocent.Of course times change :devil:
Yes showing someone into a fiery pit is so inocent.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 11 Dec 2006, 23:12

Yes, we must be on about a different Fairy Tale .... who authored the one you're talking about?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Dec 2006, 23:15

stefan.urlus wrote:Not as I recall it 8|
Like i said, censorship...

Guys, those stories were made mostly through the middle ages, torture and murder were prime-time TV.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 11 Dec 2006, 23:24

OK, lets make it clear, I'm talking specifically about Faerie Tale, a novel by Raymond E. Feist .... sorry about the spelling in previous posts .... my bad

from wiki

Faerie Tale is a fantasy novel by Raymond E. Feist, first published in 1988.

Phil Hastings and his family have just moved back to his hometown for some much needed peace and quiet from the Hollywood scene. As Phil's twins, Sean and Patrick, soon discover, there is more to their new home than was expected. Gloria, their mother, senses something, but simply dismisses her concern as stress from their recent move. Gabbie, their older step-sister, meets the man of her dreams, but also is tempted by other men. Deep in the woods, The Bad Thing and his Master are ready to break free of the centuries old Compact made to keep the Faerie world and the Human world at peace. Only through believing the insane and impossible can they save both worlds from colliding again.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 11 Dec 2006, 23:28

A few not mentioned: Alice in Wonderland, Thomas Covenant, Thieves World, Harry Turtledove's Videssos saga. I guess I'm all over the place. I don't care for Harry Potter, Forgotten Realms, or the Feist Riftworld books -- they seem trite to me. It's not so much the genre as the quality of the writing and the depth of characterization.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 11 Dec 2006, 23:31

Caradoc wrote:A few not mentioned: Alice in Wonderland, Thomas Covenant, Thieves World, Harry Turtledove's Videssos saga. I guess I'm all over the place. I don't care for Harry Potter, Forgotten Realms, or the Feist Riftworld books -- they seem trite to me. It's not so much the genre as the quality of the writing and the depth of characterization.
That's new :) .... I haven't heard the word "trite" used to descibe Feist's writing before .... but I guess there are as many tastes as there are people and that isn't a cannabalistic comment

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Dec 2006, 00:09

stefan.urlus wrote:and that isn't a cannabalistic comment
Of course it ain't... ppl all taste the same.

So, any wiki links to those stories you like? maybe something will catch my eye.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Dec 2006, 00:29

ThunderTitan wrote:
stefan.urlus wrote:and that isn't a cannabalistic comment
Of course it ain't... ppl all taste the same.
depends on how you season them
So, any wiki links to those stories you like? maybe something will catch my eye.
try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarnatio ... mmortality, it's pretty neat, but be warned it's spoilerific in the extreme

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Dec 2006, 00:47

stefan.urlus wrote: try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarnatio ... mmortality, it's pretty neat, but be warned it's spoilerific in the extreme
Well i am more interested in what's in them then actualy reading them. 10x

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Dec 2006, 00:59

well, then the link should serve admirably

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Dec 2006, 01:07

Funny no one mentione any of the discworld novels here.Also the amber chronicles are an excelent series(still looking for the second and third chronicles,even though I heared they are a bit worse than the original ones).

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Dec 2006, 04:00

Never read those .... that's why I didn't mention them, the Incarnations series was actually a bit out of the norm for me, mixing fantasy and sci-fi (as in magic and technology), but was really good regardless

another one like that was Dayworld, or something like it ... that was interesting, anyone heard of it?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Dec 2006, 05:10

Artemis fowl puts ferries,dwarves,goblins,centaurs and the rest into the modern world.Plus the dwarves there are not what you are used to.

Amber chronicles makes an extremelly interesting view of the modern world.

Also,I remember that in the sword of shannara the party fights a metalic centipede.

I just checked,shannara indeed is a post-apocalyptic earth.Thank you all,now I have a new huge serries to devour :devil:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Dec 2006, 06:06

Shannara is good, read pretty much the whole series I think, was a long time ago now

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Dec 2006, 06:11

If it was a long time now,then you didnt read the whole series because the newest book came this year,and the next two will come in 2007 and 2008.You read just the original trilogy,yes?

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 12 Dec 2006, 06:15

My favorite type fits a few of the choices, but I guess it would most resemble the Appocolyptic style. The hero is not neccessarily a good guy, does not always have the best intentions, and is a hero despite themselves. Thomas Covent is a perfect example, as well as Dark Tower (but that is more sci-fi) series. So I voted Appocolyptic. The poll I believe is what you like best, not is the only type you like. I don't like many fairy tales, especially where some 'prince charming(ish)' guy has to rescue the woman in distress. Now Grimm Fairy Tales are decent(or most of them).

Adventure is also fun, dragonlance/Forgotten realms and a host of others. Though I like sci-fi I do not catagorize that as any type of fantasy. Sci-Fi and fantasy should always be seperate. If their is technology more advanced then composit bows it qualifies as sci-fi in my book. (A gnome creating a mechanical dragon would not be fantasy at least not in my book, but golems are within the fantasy realm).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Dec 2006, 06:17

no, I read the Sword of Shannara, Elfstones and Wishsong a LONG time ago, and then Scions, Druid, Elf Queen and Talisman still a long time ago, and that is where I left it, I actually heard of First King, but never read it

Return to “Campfire”