HOMM and Chronicles of Narnia

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
JonahFalcon
Peasant
Peasant

HOMM and Chronicles of Narnia

Unread postby JonahFalcon » 06 Jan 2006, 12:50

Anyone watch The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe and immediately think during the battle, "This looks exactly like a Heroes of Might and Magic battle!"

Exactly, especially the griffins, giants, minotaurs, etc.

Moved to campfire, where it better belongs. GC

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jan 2006, 13:17

Elves, Orcs, Dragons, Ents, Wraith, Wights, the unDead! What does that remind U of?

CS Lewis and Tolkien were friend after all... :D
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

JonahFalcon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby JonahFalcon » 06 Jan 2006, 13:47

No, I mean the very LOOK of the battle. Even the banners of Aslan look EXACTLY like the banners from HOMM3.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 14:07

ThunderTitan wrote:Elves, Orcs, Dragons, Ents, Wraith, Wights, the unDead! What does that remind U of?

What has the relation of C.S. Lewis and Tolkien to do with HoMM? That's like comparing an apple with a pear! They look alike, but they are very different.

And remember Tolkien didn't make M&M Jon v. C. did!
Grah!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jan 2006, 14:31

Thelonious wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Elves, Orcs, Dragons, Ents, Wraith, Wights, the unDead! What does that remind U of?

What has the relation of C.S. Lewis and Tolkien to do with HoMM? That's like comparing an apple with a pear! They look alike, but they are very different.

And remember Tolkien didn't make M&M Jon v. C. did!

Yeah, but he was inspired by D&D which was inspired by Tolkien, who was in "something" with Kevin Bacon. :P[/i]
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 06 Jan 2006, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jan 2006, 14:32

JonahFalcon wrote:No, I mean the very LOOK of the battle. Even the banners of Aslan look EXACTLY like the banners from HOMM3.

Well that how banners look like! Or do they have the same markings on them?

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 06 Jan 2006, 14:55

I didn't yet see the movie, but I saw the trailer. I did get a Heroes feeling out of it, but the battle between the Centaurs and Minotaurs reminded me of the battle in the intro movie of Age of Mythology. Anybody else got that feeling?

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 06 Jan 2006, 15:05

Zamolxis wrote:I didn't yet see the movie, but I saw the trailer. I did get a Heroes feeling out of it, but the battle between the Centaurs and Minotaurs reminded me of the battle in the intro movie of Age of Mythology. Anybody else got that feeling?
:-D Me too, especially the minotaurs. Too bad we got only one Phoenix that flies in and out of battle less than two seconds. :disagree:

JonahFalcon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby JonahFalcon » 06 Jan 2006, 15:30

ThunderTitan wrote:
JonahFalcon wrote:No, I mean the very LOOK of the battle. Even the banners of Aslan look EXACTLY like the banners from HOMM3.

Well that how banners look like! Or do they have the same markings on them?
The banners are exactly the same as HOMM -- same color, same insignia. Same everything. It's like Life and Nature from HOMM4 are attacking Chaos.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 15:51

a55a55in wrote:Too bad we got only one Phoenix that flies in and out of battle less than two seconds. :disagree:
Well... if you caount alll the mythical creatures in Narnia, you'd be surprised.
Grah!

JonahFalcon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby JonahFalcon » 06 Jan 2006, 18:16

Thelonious wrote:
a55a55in wrote:Too bad we got only one Phoenix that flies in and out of battle less than two seconds. :disagree:
Well... if you caount alll the mythical creatures in Narnia, you'd be surprised.
The Giants didn't come into play. There were only 3 of them and they did nothing.

I guess it was a Life/Nature army vs. Chaos/Might.

vulnevia
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby vulnevia » 06 Jan 2006, 23:54

I saw it (didn't liek the movie...) and I acctually thought aboyt HoMM IV when I saw the white tigers on the witch's side and the phoenix on Aslann's side. But other than that I didn't think about HoMM.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 07 Jan 2006, 04:17

Still, I think it's great to have a new fantasy world to enter when the time in Earth stops. :hoo:

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 07 Jan 2006, 04:36

Now that you mention it, yeah it reminded me of Heroes. Heh. Funny. Especially those banners, actually I did think they looked very Hero-ic.

Heroes has better minotaurs though...the Narnia ones were a bit too obviously not digitally done.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 07 Jan 2006, 05:07

Some of us are old enough to remember that Medusa in the Clash of the Titans was "cutting edge" special effects. I saw that movie on Encore a few months back and realized just how far we've come...

The more that LOTR, Potter, and Narnia are hits, the better chance that HOMM will continue and grow a good fan base to keep them investing time and money into improving the game.

Still waiting for HOMM: The Movie!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

JonahFalcon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby JonahFalcon » 07 Jan 2006, 13:28

gravyluvr wrote:Some of us are old enough to remember that Medusa in the Clash of the Titans was "cutting edge" special effects. I saw that movie on Encore a few months back and realized just how far we've come...
I was more impressed with Caliban (or scared) when I saw Clash in the theater when I was 10.

But CLash of the Titans was NOT state-of-the-art in 1981. Dragonslayer was the cutting edge in stop-motion animation (earned an Oscar nom) because it used Go-Motion (that blurred movement in the frame, elimating that jerkiness in stop motion.)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Jan 2006, 13:50

There were some rumors about a remake of Clash some time ago (Eric Newman from NWC was even supposed to work on the project), but I just can't find anything on IMDB. That was one cool movie.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 07 Jan 2006, 22:32

gravyluvr wrote:Still waiting for HOMM: The Movie!
I hear you. :)

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 07 Jan 2006, 22:44

gravyluvr wrote: Clash of the Titans
Oh my God, I remember that movie! I was so young back then but I can still remember it! In that period I got very interested in Greek mythology. I've seen it only once more since then. God, it feels so good to remember! :-D

(I do hope I've been talking about the same Clash of the Titans as you)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 08 Jan 2006, 09:12

The griffins' battledive was the only really cool thing in that movie :)

(As for everything else, I was extremely disappointed)

Return to “Campfire”