RPG poll on actions and uncertainty

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

Should Mytical allow all characters to know each others' actions?

Yes
29%
No, things are fine the way they are
14%
Some actions only (please elaborate)
57%

Total votes: 7

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

RPG poll on actions and uncertainty

Unread postby Banedon » 21 Sep 2006, 13:56

I'll start this for Mytical; when Mytical feels its served its purpose then may the Mods please delete this.

The question is: should actions be made known to all?

And to DaemianLucifer:
Ah,but the things I said to mytical in PM werent what I said,but what I did.And the whole point is that you play a role.And you cannot do very successfully that if you get extra knowledge.Also,if there is no dialog between the players,but they just somehow "see" each others actions,it looses on its charm.
Sure you play a role. Of course you need extra knowledge. But what I'm saying is that you should not have to ask for common knowledge, nor should you have to ask others what they've done. We should at least know if the other person has stepped out of the door, for example, while I had zero idea you and Stefan were enjoying yourselves outside the tournament arena.

I also say that what you've done we should still know, even if we can't act on it, and that things which we can learn by asking simple questions (Why are we here? Who are you?) should be just told to everyone. It saves time, it saves space in Mytical's PM box and it saves everyone the hassle of asking for it. I don't know what you said to Mytical via PM, but you could just have easily posted it here. Hidden actions should be the exception rather than the norm, or we might as well lock the topic and say, everything will be conducted via PM.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 21 Sep 2006, 14:04

Some actions. If you are in the same room, and can see what is going on, sure. If you're a million miles away, or just in the next room, no. EDIT: Unless you have a line of sight to them, if in next room.

Now for hearing things. If you're a million miles away, no. Same room. Only if you're not deaf. In the next room. Maybe. Maybe you can hear clearly. Maybe a listen check needs to be rolled.

This is all a matter of seeing/hearing things. Myticle is trying to help us all not know what we shouldn't know.

Though, I found PMing somewhat difficult when it was among DL Myticle and Myself yesterday.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 21 Sep 2006, 14:36

Not only line of sight, some things are going generally and even if happened only to one member GM may told them to all for his/her own reasons. Other things are going in privvy, travelling securely only between GM and concrete player.

Here are always reasons for it.

And all reasons knows only GM.
#1 Your mamma is always right.
#2 When not see the rule #1.

See? No needs for commiting suicides :angel:

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 21 Sep 2006, 19:09

Well we need a tie breaker, the people who are playing need to break the tie ;). I will abide by whatever majority decides.

My only note on this is, her name was not common knowledge. In fact, she had been trying to keep her name and heritage secret for purposes of the Tournament. I know besides the point. As for knowledge, I will even be willing to summerize (without revealing who learns what/how/why) some things if that is an option. Again tho, this is much more work for me, and a little more difficult in these forums. I would need an assistant :).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 21 Sep 2006, 19:34

Some actions.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Sep 2006, 19:48

Only those actions that you can see/hear.The rest should be on PM.

@Banedon

What stefan and I did is not common knowledge.And hidden actions should be common,not an exception.If I say I examine a chest,and find lets say 10 gems,why should I be obligated to share that knowledge with you?I can keep them all to myself.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 22 Sep 2006, 00:27

DaemianLucifer wrote: @Banedon

What stefan and I did is not common knowledge.And hidden actions should be common,not an exception.If I say I examine a chest,and find lets say 10 gems,why should I be obligated to share that knowledge with you?I can keep them all to myself.
So we couldn't see what you did that day then, that you opened the door and went out? Or that you approached the elf and talked to her? Or that we couldn't see that Stefan had come back with a new Brooch? If you can examine a chest and keep 10 gems without us knowing, then surely I can hide somewhere and cast Ray of Frost on you without you knowing (and if you say you can deduce where I was, well then I'll start casting Call Lightning).

You see? Dealing with all these things by PM results in a great deal of hassle, and you end up typing something which you've already typed before. I still think we're better off without it.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Sep 2006, 00:44

Banedon wrote: So we couldn't see what you did that day then, that you opened the door and went out? Or that you approached the elf and talked to her? Or that we couldn't see that Stefan had come back with a new Brooch? If you can examine a chest and keep 10 gems without us knowing, then surely I can hide somewhere and cast Ray of Frost on you without you knowing (and if you say you can deduce where I was, well then I'll start casting Call Lightning).
You could see us leave,and maybe see us return,thats it.You couldnt see stefans broach at all,unless he braged about it.And you couldnt see me meeting with sunrunner because no one was there but us.As for the spellcasting,you need line of sight for that.And unless you hide moves and words,Ill know where you hide them,then yes,I should have no idea who casted.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 22 Sep 2006, 00:48

Sure you play a role. Of course you need extra knowledge. But what I'm saying is that you should not have to ask for common knowledge, nor should you have to ask others what they've done. We should at least know if the other person has stepped out of the door, for example, while I had zero idea you and Stefan were enjoying yourselves outside the tournament arena.
well, in the thread, i clearly left to look around, that was common knowledge, my actions, gains and experiences after that were my own, and not common knowledge, if you ask, I may tell you, or i may not, that is for my thief to decide
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 22 Sep 2006, 01:11

DaemianLucifer wrote: You could see us leave,and maybe see us return,thats it.You couldnt see stefans broach at all,unless he braged about it.And you couldnt see me meeting with sunrunner because no one was there but us.As for the spellcasting,you need line of sight for that.And unless you hide moves and words,Ill know where you hide them,then yes,I should have no idea who casted.
Are you saying I can kill you repeatedly just by hiding somewhere and using Call Lightning on you? Sort of like:

"A bolt of lightning dropped from the sky and floored DaemianLucifer. It was the fourth such lightning bolt and he still had no idea who casted it. Then a fifth came and he dropped down dead. Somewhere out there, someone was laughing and laughing and laughing..."

It's illogical. I can't ever see how you enjoy it...but you clearly do, so I won't attempt to change that.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Sep 2006, 01:20

No,you can try to do that.But it then depends on the dice.So my gues would be if misty threh three straight 100s in a row,you might have a chance on doing that.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 22 Sep 2006, 01:21

Um...you don't have that much HP.

And somehow the fact that I can create a Sorcerer who can assassinate the members of the team one-by-one makes me laugh.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 22 Sep 2006, 01:22

Banedon, I think you are missing the fundamental part of the role playing game .... and since we are playing as generally lawful characters (as Myst ruled out chaotics and was undecided on neutrals) this is not a course of action your character would undertake, you seem to be placing too much from outside influence on it - you need to get into character - you are in a fantasy world, you have a class (and i can't recall yours) and an alignment (lawful of some kind - which means you generally follow rules and morals depending on your lawful bent), you are in a group of people you don't really know and you can only see what your character sees, hear what he hears .... you are applying knowledge gained from outside your characters experience, and seem not to be able to separate that from the role playing ..... this is exactyl why Myst wants to keep individual things to individuals

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 22 Sep 2006, 01:24

since i was writing that while you two wrote, can i add that my thief can also assassinate the other members, but my character has no reason to do so, so he won't, cause he's in character - you are basically describing a Chaotic Evil character - no morals, all is fair in self advancement, or for no reason whatsoever

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 Sep 2006, 01:28

I doubt you could cast more then one lightning.Besides,thats a level 3 spell.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 22 Sep 2006, 01:28

which still misses the point

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 22 Sep 2006, 06:37

Far as I can tell alignments change with time and actions; if I started a NWN character with Lawful Good I could easily turn him Chaotic Evil by butchering everyone I saw.
can i add that my thief can also assassinate the other members, but my character has no reason to do so, so he won't, cause he's in character - you are basically describing a Chaotic Evil character - no morals, all is fair in self advancement, or for no reason whatsoever
Your thief can't assassinate other members as well as a sorcerer can. You meld with the shadows, go up to someone and strike him. Chances are you'll wound him grievously but he won't die. That sets him on his guard, he turns around, uses See Invisibility or a similar spell and then fights back. He can do this because there is only one person who can possibly be attacking him (and that person happens to be holding a sword in his hand :D ). Not so for a sorcerer. A sorcerer can hide, make use of Still Spell and Silent Spell and kill everyone one-by-one, with no one possibly knowing what he's doing.

Oh, and if you say a Chaotic Evil character is one who thinks all is fair in self-advancement, then your thief would be Chaotic Evil, because you decline to reveal to everyone what you learned from your snooping...
I doubt you could cast more then one lightning.
Of course, not at level 1. Mages are weak at level 1. But come level 20 you die horrible deaths (and if that Mage were particularly evil, he'd kill the Cleric first to stop people ressing).

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 22 Sep 2006, 07:51

well .... where do i start, backstab would be a good place .... a thief backstabbing a low level character could quite easily kill him, so that blows that out the water
Oh, and if you say a Chaotic Evil character is one who thinks all is fair in self-advancement, then your thief would be Chaotic Evil, because you decline to reveal to everyone what you learned from your snooping...
ummmm, no, i am under no moral obligation to reveal any of my activities to anyone, but sneaking up to someone and killing them??? for no real reason??? what occured on my little adventure had little if anything to do with self advancement

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 22 Sep 2006, 08:02

But you're low level too. A high level character of any class would quickly kill any low level character (think Great Cleave).
ummmm, no, i am under no moral obligation to reveal any of my activities to anyone, but sneaking up to someone and killing them??? for no real reason??? what occured on my little adventure had little if anything to do with self advancement
But you are! You found a magical brooch somewhere, surely it'd be helpful to know where it came from! If the party reached a town and you went to a merchant where you saw DaemianLucifer buying things worth hundreds of thousands of gold pieces, would you not wonder where he got his money from? You'd ask him, right? So why not save the time and just post whatever you're doing?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 22 Sep 2006, 08:21

because i happen to know the use of the item, and it has no value other than it's only use .... besides which, I have already tried to use it, and spoken about it to Paladus, it is coming out as part of my role within the group

my point about the backstab is relevant to level .... it is available at level 1, does an additional level of damage that could conceivably kill a fighter with one hit, in combination with weapon damage, probably more so than a mage DD spell at level 1 (highest damage spell at level 1 is 1d6 which is unlikely to kill anyone) - a backstab with a dagger will likely do 1d4 + 1d6 damage .... much more likely to kill someone

Return to “Campfire”