The American Football Thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Aug 2007, 13:37

Grossman is awful. But thankfully the Bears have a defense that can make up for sorry QB play.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 21 Aug 2007, 15:51

Unfortunately, we're not going to win any Super Bowls that way. Unless Grossman consistently plays so bad that we make the switch to Griese.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 21 Aug 2007, 15:55

I'd put my money on a team with a fantastic defense and a poor QB over a team with a great QB and a pathetic defense. The bears came pretty damn close last year.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 21 Aug 2007, 16:40

That being said, we have to get good-enough play out of him. If he puts forth a six turnover game, I don't like our chances. Assuming we make it back, we won't be facing the Arizona Cardinals.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 23 Aug 2007, 15:00

Corribus wrote:I'd put my money on a team with a fantastic defense and a poor QB over a team with a great QB and a pathetic defense. The bears came pretty damn close last year.
But which would you take: a great offense and an average defense, or an average offense and a great defense?
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 23 Aug 2007, 15:15

Caradoc wrote: But which would you take: a great offense and an average defense, or an average offense and a great defense?
Great defense.

Unfortunately great offense sells more tickets.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 26 Aug 2007, 16:33

Cowboys looked pretty bad last night, losing to the Texan in Houston. The game exposed problems with the special teams and lack of depth at corner. But we saw more progress for the young linebackers and had no major injuries, so all was not bad.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 26 Aug 2007, 21:19

Ok, I can put up with a fumbled snap (especially if it's not lost) and even a pick-6 if Grossman's going to lead Da Bears to 31 first half points. Especially if the D maintains their standards.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 27 Aug 2007, 14:47

Meh, who cares about preseason? It doesn't mean anything.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 27 Aug 2007, 14:54

Hey, it's great to watch when the only other option at the bar is UFC.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 02 Sep 2007, 04:43

I think it's safe to say the college football season has gotten off with a bang. Tennessee-Cal was a really fun game to watch. Texas nearly got upset by Arkansas State. But the big story is Michigan getting upset by Appalachian State. It's a first.

"Since they dreamed up the partition of Division I back in 1978, no FCS (Football Championship Subdivision, the idiotic new NCAAese for I-AA) team has beaten a team ranked in the AP Top 25."
-Pat Forde

And this weekends games aren't even over yet.

However, Iowa State managed to rain on my parade by losing to Kent State. :vomit:

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 02 Sep 2007, 13:45

It was a great weekend the VT game starting it off for me (No I'm not a VT grad, but pulled for them) and finishing with Cal - Tenn fantastic. You're right App State beating Michigan how great was that. :-D Colege football has a great product, for me it is better than most of the NFL games.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 02 Sep 2007, 14:42

The Michigan State game wasn't too bad. My best friend's family had an extra ticket, so I tagged along. We did end up leaving at the end of the third quarter because the Spartans were killing UAB.
Last edited by Omega_Destroyer on 08 Sep 2007, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 08 Sep 2007, 14:15

Well as an old Baltimore Colt fan I was disappointed to see the Saints humbled, damn Indy colts :beheading: Just switched to Directv and have Sunday ticket, let the season begin. :D

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 09 Sep 2007, 05:33

:ill: Iowa State lost to Northern Iowa, a 1AA school. A friend of mine who was at the game put it this way:
You are very lucky to not be here wasting time or money on this ISU "football team." A record number of suckas showed up tonight to see Bret Meyer never look left and a "defense" that couldn't cover or tackle a paraplegic grandma. It's terrifyingly pathetic.
0-12 here we come... :rip:

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 09 Sep 2007, 13:02

Watching the Colts-Saints game was amazing in HD with 5.1 speakers. I felt like I was in the middle of the crowd.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 09 Sep 2007, 14:07

Angelspit wrote:Watching the Colts-Saints game was amazing in HD with 5.1 speakers. I felt like I was in the middle of the crowd.
Didn't care for the result, but since I got HD last year, the games broadcast in HD are just amazing to watch. It really shows up standard NTSC broadcasts; it makes them difficult to watch and enjoy.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 09 Sep 2007, 17:17

That was an insane touchdown in the Greenbay Packers game. Didn't run or pass it, just kicked it down the field and ran like mad to finally catch up to it in the end zone.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 12 Sep 2007, 06:38

Mike Brown seems to be the most unlucky person on the Bears roster. 4th straight season cut short by injury. I hope Danieal Manning's ready.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 18 Sep 2007, 18:44

I think Phil Simms said it best:
Phil Simms wrote:If you kick the ball to Devin Hester, you're crazy.
He's saving Rex Grossman's job.

Iowa State beat Iowa without scoring a touchdown! w00t! Season = saved.

Return to “Campfire”