The American Football Thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 22 Jan 2007, 16:48

Corribus wrote:I wasn't really sure who I wanted to cheer for in the Colts - Patiots game. I can't stand Peyton Manning (and his brother is even worse), but on the other hand, I'm sick to death of the Patriots. I guess I'm glad the Colts won. I guess.

Once the Redskins were out of it (back in September), I was for the Saints all the way. Too bad they laid an egg yesterday.

But in the Superbowl I'm for the NFC team, so that would be the Bears.
Skins fan (in hiding) here too.

As an Orioles and Dodgers fan in baseball growing up I am required by law (and lovingly do) hate the Yankees. As a Washingtonian and Skins fan I am required by law (and lovingly do) hate the Giants (and Cowboys). In addition, over the last few years even as I rooted for the Red Sox in the series, I have grown more and more tired of Bostonians. So now I have adopted a new rule.

ALWAYS ROOT AGAINST TEAMS FROM NEW YORK AND BOSTON.

Chicago is fine - although unless you're from Chicago - it would be downright mean to root against New Orleans after Katrina.

I actually like the Payton commercials and I would love to see him get a super bowl ring. However, a large metoeor could have landed directly on Jim Irsay (the Colts owner who snuck the Baltimore Colts out in Mayflower Moving Trucks in the 80s). So I am torn. Do I root for Indianapolis, Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Dungy and the fans? Or do I continue root agains Jim Irsay - the retreating coward who wouldn't even change the name of his team and leave the Colts name in Baltimore where it had always belonged?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 22 Jan 2007, 20:27

Until Washington manages to field a strong contender, I can't really find it in my heart to hate them -- even though I grew up with the Cowboys. However, in addition to New York and Boston, I'd like to include LA, even though they do not presently have a football team. The Lakers and Dodgers are enough to justify putting them on the list. (One reason I used to hate the Celtics so much is that once a year they made me root for the Lakers.)
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 22 Jan 2007, 20:32

Caradoc wrote:Until Washington manages to field a strong contender, I can't really find it in my heart to hate them --
Well don't worry. I'm beginning to feel it will never happen while Snyder owns the team.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 22 Jan 2007, 20:34

I grew up in the Stauback, Dorsett, Hill, etc. days and we play them so often that even though I love the Dalls/Skins rivalry, I always root for both teams to do wel. It's my hope that both teams can get back to continual contention. The Skins need a major overhaul of the organization and to start building through the draft and through retension of "core" players. As much as Gibbs has preached of the "true" and "core" Redskins, I would dare you to find any in the top 10 (hell... 20) of our payroll.

If the skins could start stealing pages from the Eagles and Patriots Front Office, we could build a dominate winner.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 23 Jan 2007, 17:09

So long, Tuna. Rot in peace. :rip:
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 23 Jan 2007, 17:44

Corribus wrote: I'm beginning to feel it will never happen while Snyder owns the team.
At least they aren't owned by the Ford family.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 23 Jan 2007, 19:59

I've got an idea! Let's hire Steve Spurrier..
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 23 Jan 2007, 20:14

Ouch....

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 24 Jan 2007, 16:14

Caradoc wrote:I've got an idea! Let's hire Steve Spurrier..
Hey... Above the belt please!

Actually, I couldn't tell if you were mocking the Skins or giving Jerry Jones a replacement idea?!?

MOVIN' OUT, MOVIN' IN
Team -Previous Coach +New Coach
Arizona Cardinals -Dennis Green +Ken Whisenhunt
Atlanta Falcons -Jim Mora +Bobby Petrino
Dallas Cowboys -Bill Parcells +???
Miami Dolphins -Nick Saban +Cam Cameron
Oakland Raiders -Art Shell +Lane Kiffin
Pittsburgh Steelers -Bill Cowher +Mike Tomlin

I can't believe Russ Grimm took the Asst. Coach job at Arizona. I think he'd be a good OFF coordinator for the Skins. The only reason he's not here is because Bugel is still coaching. If Bugel retired, Grimm would be a great candidate for OFF Coordinator.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 24 Jan 2007, 16:17

gravyluvr wrote:I can't believe Russ Grimm took the Asst. Coach job at Arizona. I think he'd be a good OFF coordinator for the Skins. The only reason he's not here is because Bugel is still coaching. If Bugel retired, Grimm would be a great candidate for OFF Coordinator.
Yes, I wish we could get him back in the organization somehow.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 25 Jan 2007, 00:53

gravyluvr wrote: Actually, I couldn't tell if you were mocking the Skins or giving Jerry Jones a replacement idea?!?
I was mocking both. Remember when Jerry hired Barry Switzer?

The Cowboy hire will be difficult, since Jones will want to bring in someone for the long term, while there are no obvious candidates available. A possibility might be Bill Cower. Too bad Jeff Fischer has re-signed with the Titans. I would like to see Jerry get a young defense-oriented coach who can become team leader, someone like Mike Singletary. However, that would mean also bringing in help at GM, which Jones does not want to do. I suppose he still has Jimmy Johnson's phone number...

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 25 Jan 2007, 01:10

The problem for the Cowboys is TO, no established coach will want to come and put up with him. Jerry Jones is not about to admit he made a mistake and will force any new coach he hires to keep TO. Ok by me I was never a Cowboy or TO fan, seems like a marriage made in heaven to me. :lol:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 25 Jan 2007, 07:56

Rumors floating around here are that Jerry Jones will try to steal Lovie Smith. Course, they're just rumors.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 25 Jan 2007, 14:57

What would Super Bowl Week (1 of 2) be without Rumours?

If I'm Lovie, I'm listening to the Cowboys. He's always said that was his dream job.

Funny swing could be Lovie to Dallas and the Bears w/compensation and the Bears turnaround and give compensation to Pittsburgh to get Cowher.

Pittsburgh would get Dallas draft picks in a three way deal?

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Jan 2007, 15:41

Well as for me, I'm hoping Dallas doesn't get any coach at all. :D

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 28 Jan 2007, 19:01

Corribus wrote:Well as for me, I'm hoping Dallas doesn't get any coach at all. :D
Already tried that -- remember the Dave Campo years? 5-11, 5-11, 5-11.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 12 Feb 2007, 21:32

*sigh* A familiar phrase in Chicago, there's always next year... :sad:
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 17 Apr 2007, 22:28

*bump*
So the Draft is coming up pretty soon. What positions on your team would like to see get filled? Anyone got someone specific that they hope to get?

Besides the Draft, how's the off-season going? Get someone good in free agency? Someone causing trouble for the team? Around here, the Lance Briggs circus is in full swing. I'm sure it'll affect how the Bears draft.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 Apr 2007, 00:25

Funny - despite being a big NFL junkie, I never pay attention over the off season. I rarely watch the draft. I figure the 'Skins will screw it all up anyway when it counts. :)

Seriously, I'd like to see them pick up some defensive linemen. But that's not like Dan Snyder. Not flashy enough.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Apr 2007, 01:12

All I know is that with the Lions are going to be screwing over some college kid's dreams when they draft him.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Return to “Campfire”