HeroQuest

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

HeroQuest

Unread postby Corribus » 16 Sep 2006, 01:20

I am moving to a larger apartment in the near future. During the course of packing, I came across my old HeroQuest board game stuffed in the dusty, long forgotten corner of my closet. Did anyone else ever play this great but simple RPG by Milton Bradley? I had so many hours of fun with this back in the day. Even created my own advanced version of the game.

Just wondering...
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 16 Sep 2006, 01:47

Wow talk about a blast from the past. That was a great board game, and really simple to learn/use. Easily modifiable also. Kept things simple enough for the casual gamers, but with modification even kept the hard core interested. Love some of the items in the game, and the quest that came with it (though basic in nature) was rather interesting.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 Sep 2006, 04:22

I never played HeroQuest, but I used to love Talisman, a game with many similarities from what I have read. Unfortunately, the game was lost when my parents moved.

More recently, I've been playing Return of the Heroes. I'm still a bit confused with some of the mechanics, but I just love the modular board.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 Sep 2006, 06:30

Talisman is just great. If all goes well, I'll get a session playing it this week. :D
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 16 Sep 2006, 06:54

i once played a computer version of HeroQuest and i wondered why it looked so board-gamely. it had such awful sound from PC speaker i had to cover my ears each time i ran it.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 16 Sep 2006, 07:34

Ah.. I too still have my copy of HeroQuest lying around somewhere. And 3 of the 4 expansion packs.

Also created lots of addons to the game. New artifacts, spells, skills, objects, enemies (made in clay), etc. And of course missions that were in no way comparable with the 'easy' standard missions ;)
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 16 Sep 2006, 12:24

wimfrits wrote:Ah.. I too still have my copy of HeroQuest lying around somewhere. And 3 of the 4 expansion packs.
I only acquired 3/4 of the available (in the US) expansion packs. Although all the quest booklets are now, I see, available online. Unfortunately, none of my old HQ buddies are around... :D
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 Sep 2006, 13:36

I wish we could all meet for a game... :(

I always have a hard time finding enough players. My best friend lives a couple hundred kilometers from me, and my co-workers prefer casual games (such as Carcassonne).

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 16 Sep 2006, 14:16

Angelspit wrote:I wish we could all meet for a game... :(

I always have a hard time finding enough players. My best friend lives a couple hundred kilometers from me, and my co-workers prefer casual games (such as Carcassonne).
I know how you feel. I am a big fan of Risk as well, but alas, there's nobody within driving distance who would want to play with me.

Sigh.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Sep 2006, 02:14

loved that game, and the expansions

and i hear ya AS, I don't really have the people to play these things with (nor the time atm really :) ), but Risk, HeroQuest, Axis and Allies, Shogun .... all the really great boardgames require people , and time
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 18 Sep 2006, 04:57

Yeah, heroquest was a great game, as well as others people have mentioned (like risk, I had a large and active playing group for that when i was in high school, which was great fun). Anyone play space crusade? That was another one sort of like heroquest, in that it was a lite-version of a complicated tabletop game. Good fun though.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 18 Sep 2006, 15:21

I played HeroQuest too, but it's a looong time ago now :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Lady Farquad
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Lady Farquad » 18 Sep 2006, 22:05

HeroQuest!!! I thought that happened in my last reencarnation!
Lovely game. Never got any expansion though...
Morior, ergo sum

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Sep 2006, 00:53

I wonder if it's one of those things that you remember fondly, yet when you go to replay, it's not quite what you remembered :)

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 19 Sep 2006, 03:08

stefan.urlus wrote:I wonder if it's one of those things that you remember fondly, yet when you go to replay, it's not quite what you remembered :)
Of course, maybe. But in this case I don't think so. I remember the game just being very simple but with room for complexity and, most importantly, lots of fun.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Sep 2006, 03:11

it's a shame we are all so geographically diverse though, cause getting some of the people together to play would be pretty sweet I reckon

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 19 Sep 2006, 03:53

HeroQuest online anyone? Graphics are somewhat crude and it looks far from being complete, but hey:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 Sep 2006, 03:59

well, it's something i guess, but having the last update made in early august (if i read the dates right - otherwise it's march) it looks like it might be a while before it's ready

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 19 Sep 2006, 13:19

That's cool! Linked from that page, I also found this, which would have been highly useful back in the day. It looks like there's still people playing the game.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 20 Sep 2006, 01:55

that's not bad either, makes me yearn for the old days :D

hey anyone remember corssbows and catapults, that was a great deal of fun as well

Return to “Campfire”