Tae-Kwon-Do (Korean Karate) does not work in real life.

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Jul 2006, 11:38

5. Kicks don't work. (TKD is almost nothing but fancy kicking). That's right you heard me. Kicks don't work. Want proof? Go watch some UFC fights. Are they kicking? No. Why? Because kicks are risky manuveurs that are more likley to get you into trouble than help you. When someone kicks you it is easy to just take the hit, grab their leg, and throw them to the ground.

You don't actualy have to kick the other guy in the face. A good hit to the legs will make him go down like a ton of bricks. And catching a kicking foot isn't as easy as it sounds. Neither is throwing people to the ground if they keep their balance during the kick, and having both of your hands busy with his leg leaves your face open. If you don't drop him fast enough he's gonna get some punches straight to the face, and even if you do get him down, an unobstructed punch to the face is worse then falling down.

Ethric, in order to use dirty tricks you have to get close to the guy. Doesn't always happen.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 14 Jul 2006, 12:54

I am of course referring to situations where you are not being mugged by a professional kickboxer or somesuch. If that happens you're screwed, pretty much. I am merely stating that to learn effective ways to defend yourself fast (as in, not wanting to practice every week for years), most martial arts are ineffective. Some less so than others of course.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Jul 2006, 17:33

Ethric wrote: martial arts are ineffective.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_art

So dirty tricks are martial arts anyway. As for being mugged: who knows what the guy comes at you with.

In the end experience in actual fighting is the deciding factor.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 14 Jul 2006, 19:29

Mmmyeah, seems you missed the 24 words at the start and middle of the sentence that set the last 4 words in context ;|

That link in itelf is meaningless; you'll have to provide whatever argument you draw from it and then present the quote as the source, not just refer to it. I'm not going to read everything there to find whatever you based your conclusion on.

Dirty tricks are martial arts? Of course, for a given value of "dirty tricks" and a given value of "martial arts".

As for not knowing in what way you will be mugged beforehand, then yes that is inherent in the mugging process. As opposed to participating in a contest or other arrangement where there are rules confining in what way the fight will take place. But what was your point here?

Actual fighting experience can be a deciding factor. But far from the deciding factor. If you're asleep or unaware it won't matter much how tough you are if the first blow knocks you out. If your fighting experience consists of getting beat up while making no effort to defend yourself out of inability or fear or whatever I daresay it won't help you much in the next fight either (might help you find a better position to defend your vital organs and similar but it won't help you "win").

Your talent for misquoting and making sweeping statements based on your own perceptions are at politician-level. Now impress us all by droning on with the same arguments with no regard to the rest of my post :tonguehands:
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Jul 2006, 20:31

Ethric wrote: I'm not going to read everything there to find whatever you based your conclusion on.
Damn, there goes that plan.
Ethric wrote: Your talent for misquoting and making sweeping statements based on your own perceptions are at politician-level. Now impress us all by droning on with the same arguments with no regard to the rest of my post
Just checking. Nice to know i still got it.

It's not really fighting experience if you don't actualy fight.... which you aren't doing if you just get "beat up while making no effort to defend yourself".

And i meant in a fight, not getting ambushed....
Vague...
of training for combat.
So any training = martial art.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Jul 2006, 03:51

ThunderTitan wrote:
It's not really fighting experience if you don't actualy fight.... which you aren't doing if you just get "beat up while making no effort to defend yourself".

And i meant in a fight, not getting ambushed....
Sure, being an experienced, active fighter will help you in a fight, no argument there. Doesn't necessarily have to be fighting that is defined as a martial art though, can be just your make it up as you go along-streetfighting as well. Which can also be a martial art, if your definition suits it. What is and isn't a (proper) martial art is not clearly defined, it does depend a bit on who you ask.
- Duke

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jul 2006, 04:47

My definiton is that martial art is any form of fighting that is practiced and used either in real situation or against a sparing partner.This broad definiton includes street fighting as a martial art as well.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 15 Jul 2006, 04:54

that would be about right for me too DL, while many of the martial arts are unlikely to directly assist you with an "attack" they do provide fitness and strength, and these can assist indirectly

i would say highly recommended for anyone, just be aware of the demands the art can place on your body, try to pic one that suits you age/ability/etc, something as simple as tai chi can still help

if anyone remembers Bolo Yeung?? The huge asian guy from such movies as Bloodsport? His preferred martial art was Tai Chi

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jul 2006, 10:30

Ethric wrote: Doesn't necessarily have to be fighting that is defined as a martial art though, can be just your make it up as you go along-streetfighting as well.
It's an art if you use predefined moves, which dirty tricks are.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Jul 2006, 13:50

Predefined? So if you in a fight repeat a move you've used before because you found it to be effective the first time you have developed a martial art around that one move? Well I suppose that's one way to look at it.
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jul 2006, 16:41

Ethric wrote:Predefined? So if you in a fight repeat a move you've used before because you found it to be effective the first time you have developed a martial art around that one move? Well I suppose that's one way to look at it.
No, i think that's called munchkinism...

Please notice that little S at the end of a certain word. 10x, k, laterz...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Jul 2006, 17:19

Didn't understand much of that, but ok, 2 moves then, that should satisfy the S.
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jul 2006, 17:47

Munchkinism - using exclusively a certain move/combo/build/etc. that allows you to always win;

There's also the training part from a previous post. It all ties together...

2 moves might make your own martial art, just not a very effective one.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 16 Jul 2006, 15:38

ThunderTitan wrote:After 5 years you should have enough upper body strenght to throw a guy to the floor hard enough for him to think twice about getting back up.
I have been training judo for some five years or so and never in that time did anyone suggest that the point was to develop strength in order to floor the opponent. The trick was always to get him off-balance, then drop him.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jul 2006, 15:44

pepak wrote: I have been training judo for some five years or so and never in that time did anyone suggest that the point was to develop strength in order to floor the opponent. The trick was always to get him off-balance, then drop him.
And you don't need upperbody strenght to do that at all....

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 16 Jul 2006, 15:46

ThunderTitan wrote:And you don't need upperbody strenght to do that at all....
No, not really. It helps, of course, but it's not strictly necessary - especially against your average bully who doesn't know any martial arts.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 Jul 2006, 16:16

Good point. Strenght helps, but far from necessary if you know what you're doing. I learnt that the years I trained aikido, which is sort of similar to judo except I think there is even less emphasis on strenght and more on being at the right place at the right time and keeping your center with you :)
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jul 2006, 18:23

I never said that it's the main thing, but judo does use it more then other martial arts. I had a guy in highschool that used to do judo, and was in competitions, and he was quite buff. And in all the judo competitions on TV the guys and gals are more muscley then the other people. Don't compare it to bodybuilders, coz this isn't a steroid contest.

And Ethric, it's not about having less then the other guy. It's about having enough.

I doubt there's any martial art that isn't about training your body's strenght to some extent.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 Jul 2006, 19:25

It's not about having more, less, or just enough (in regards to muscles), but using what you do have properly. At least in some martial arts.
- Duke

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Jul 2006, 19:52

Actually you need both muscles and technique.A tool is useless if you dont know how to use it,and you cannot use your knowledge if you dont have the right tool.So you need to develop both.You dont have to look buff,but you have to be buff.It is true that anyone can learn how to break a brick with their bare hands,but you cannot break hundreds of bricks without your hands being changed during that.

Return to “Campfire”