Tae-Kwon-Do (Korean Karate) does not work in real life.

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
rudybro

Unread postby rudybro » 15 Jul 2011, 08:42

Is that true that tae-kwa-Do is not effective> I'm planning to practice it for self defense.

-RudyBrothers-
Last edited by rudybro on 17 Jul 2011, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Jul 2011, 09:09

It can be very effective if you're well trained; however, it focuses on kicks, which can be problematic. If self-defence is the priority, I would look into aikido or regular karate instead.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 15 Jul 2011, 10:48

There is a japanese proverb, I read it years ago in some obscure proverb book from my local library, and I can't remember the actual quote:

"Even the strongest master fears the pot."

A master will have spent years studying an art and style, studying her limits and abilities, strategy, tactics, the techniques of other styles and how to counter them, advantages, disadvantages, weaknesses within your own style, etc. Even so, a master (or at least a wise one) fears the pot. No, I'm not talking about drugs, pot is a metaphor for beginner. A master fears the beginner.

Why? Because a beginner is unpredictable. A beginner has not studied any arts or styles, no strategies or tactics, has no understanding of her own limits and abilities. A beginner is an uncut diamond: rough, unrefined, yet still sharp. Though very adept, the master has become predictable; which has its advantages and disadvantages.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the expert's mind there are few."

You wouldn't expect the ceramic pot in your window to suddenly lunge at you in rage, which is exactly why it is so dangerous.

Anyway, enough philosophy :) It is important to realise that there are three distinct concepts:

Martial arts (e.g. Kenjutsu, Система) are explicitly designed for combat; it may have deep philosophical thinking or character development.

Martial sports (e.g. Kendou) are often based on martial arts, but are designed as a sport; it primarily teaches sportsmanship and self-discipline, and it builds character. It may be useful for self-defence, but this depends a lot on the art/style as it is not intended for combat.

Self-defence is quick and dirty, uses simple techniques and tools, and does not rely upon years of training; focuses on defence and improving how you react to sudden hostility, improving your chances of making an escape or the assailant backing off. More comprehensive and effective self-defence styles become defensive martial arts.

If you only need basic self-defence, go for self-defence courses or shorter courses in defensive martial arts (i.e. not 10 years), most users really don't need full-blown martial arts. Martial sports is exactly that, sports, not self-defence, it may or may not be useful, but it is still a sport.

However, "a true master need not fight." The most effective method of self-defence is avoiding confrontation and situations where combat becomes necessary. Combat is merely treating the symptom.

EDIT:

Improve your perception, study your surroundings, study the situations you end up in, hell, even go for psychology, to understand the hostile mentality. So called "Jason Bourne" skills are highly underrated: awareness, agility, deception.

If you're looking for a fight, you don't need martial arts, you need a brick to the face.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Jul 2011, 11:28

Kalah wrote: If self-defence is the priority, I would look into aikido or regular karate instead.
8| ;|

Madness. Never take advice about fisticuffs from gaming nerds ought, however, to be your guidelne.

This. however:
hatsforclowns wrote: However, "a true master need not fight." The most effective method of self-defence is avoiding confrontation and situations where combat becomes necessary. Combat is merely treating the symptom.
Once at aikido-class, where this is habitually learnt, I raised my hand and asked if we shouldn't all just go home, as it was safer :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Jul 2011, 11:34

He seemed more interested in the techniques, though, and you do learn those. Having preferred the "avoiding confrontation" strategy myself for the past 20 years, I don't delve too deeply into the effectiveness of specific branches.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Jul 2011, 20:47

rudybro wrote:Is that true that tae-kwa-Do is not effective> I'm planning to practice it for self defense.
The way i remember it was that if you can't take a punch you could be the best ever at all the techniques and stuff and in a real fight you'll lose most of the time (because getting hit is unavoidable).
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 17 Jul 2011, 10:36

rudybro wrote:Is that true that tae-kwa-Do is not effective> I'm planning to practice it for self defense.

-RudyBrothers-
Not true.

Just train. And you'll know it.

You'll get the best leg ever.

In self-defense, just outrun your opponent.

Korbac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Korbac » 03 Sep 2011, 23:42

I'd say that in practice what works is: punching and wrestling.

In a drunken bar fight or on the street you're not going to do fancy kicks.

As for me, I'm doing thai boxing. It's quite good with all the nasty knees and elbows in close range. However, I still think that regular boxing is more applicable.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 06 Sep 2011, 04:46

Bar fight ? Just use broken bottles. If you got knife or likes, even better.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 06 Sep 2011, 14:58

Actually, are you guys talking about defending or just picking fights? Anyway, I'm also of the opinion of who's instructing the thing and time experience. I'm one that consider Martial Arts as art as well, something to relax, improve discipline, flexibility, reflexes. In group, they will improve your chances in real battle, whichever foes you'll be facing whatever condition you're in.

Here in Brazil Jiu-jitsu is popular, along with Muay Thai. But I personally would enjoy practing Aikido, even if it looks a bit too defensive for some.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Korbac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Korbac » 08 Sep 2011, 12:47

BoardGuest808888 wrote:Bar fight ? Just use broken bottles. If you got knife or likes, even better.
Fully agree. That makes fancy kicks even more irrelevant. :)

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 11 Sep 2011, 08:26

Panda Tar wrote:Actually, are you guys talking about defending or just picking fights?
Picking fights, of course.

For self-defense, the best is, just run away.

:-D

Return to “Campfire”