World Cup 2006

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 26 Jun 2006, 01:05

indeed dallas

and on the holland vs portugal game - i can't believe i stayed up for it .... now it's all on th aussies for me .... tonight at 11pm local time, geez i hope the aussies win, even thou it will be a huge ask to do so

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jun 2006, 08:33

stefan.urlus wrote:imo they really turned it on against the japanese ...
Well they turned it up a notch, but it still didn't look like they were making any extra efforts.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 26 Jun 2006, 09:11

think about all the improvement left in them .... scary

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Jun 2006, 13:46

Italy - Australia today. Who here believes in a surprise?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 26 Jun 2006, 13:53

Oh, how hated Guus Hiddink would be in Italy if he managed to stop them once again :D
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Jun 2006, 14:00

I heard Kewell might be out with a bit of an injury - that can't be good for the Aussies... Anyway, so far this championship the big nations have mostly satisfied expectations - i.e. none (except the Czech republic) have been eliminated after the first round. The outsiders have put on a god show, but most of them have been overwhelmed in the end and shown to the door. I think the time is right for a team who really has nothing left to lose (whatever happens now, the Aussies will be pleased they ever made it this far), beating the favourites. Besides, Italy and its unsporting behaviour should never win a World Cup...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Jun 2006, 16:07

Right... Italy's Materazzi just got a red card - too strict in my opinion. Should have been yellow.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 26 Jun 2006, 16:57

Kalah wrote:Right... Italy's Materazzi just got a red card - too strict in my opinion. Should have been yellow.
and the penalty on last second? Was it really worth a penalty?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Jun 2006, 21:21

Yes. I'd say the striker goes down easily (meaning, he doesn't do much of an effort to stay on his feet), but he is hindered. Outside the box it would have been a free kick - no question. What follows from that is that it should be a penalty when it is inside the box.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 26 Jun 2006, 21:53

It looked a bit cheap to me, but what the heck, I didn't think that red card looked bad enough to warrant more than a yellow, so I guess it evens out.

Anywhow, speaking of penalties: Switzerland has got to be the worst at it I've ever seen: missing three in the shootout vs Ukraine. One was excuseable, being hard and not very far from going in, but the two others were just laughable- weak, and right next to the goalie.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 26 Jun 2006, 23:41

Heh .. Ukrane is in the 1/4.
That was a pretty hard match .. 120 minutes of acute tension.
By the way all 3 penalty goals were masterpieces. Especialy first one, that was "weak"
Thats the point, it was unexpectedly "weak"

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 26 Jun 2006, 23:49

Well, they all sat, so of course they were good. The first one was good because he let the goalie act first, not because it was unexpected. Had the goalie stood, he'd probably have placed in one of the corners. THe other two were more like they decided on which side they wanted it to go in and then shot there with as much power as they could while making sure it stayed in. Not very remarkeable, but a good way to shoot a penalty.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Jun 2006, 01:13

that was NOT a penalty foul, he went down before the italian even got to him, then the italian ran over him and fell over

how disappointing to lose like that, we exceeded all expectations and did so well to that point

damn

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 27 Jun 2006, 03:43

Kalah wrote:Right... Italy's Materazzi just got a red card - too strict in my opinion. Should have been yellow.
I'm not down with all the rules, but it would have been his second yellow card then, doesn't that make it a red card?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Jun 2006, 07:51

but not in the same match, only if you get two yellows in a match should you get a red card, unless of course, your name is Simunic and the ref is Graham Poll, in which case you are allowed three yellows before you get sent off

gee we've copped a horrid run with refereeing decisions!!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 27 Jun 2006, 10:41

stefan.urlus wrote:gee we've copped a horrid run with refereeing decisions!!
I'd say that both of the odd judgements there was in the match yesterday were as odd and with as much possibly of being game-deciding. Italy didn't really have much in the way of offense after that red until Totti came in. Had you managed to score one then and won, Italy would have been even more pissed off than you're know, and perhaps with greater right as well.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Jun 2006, 10:47

dunno, the red card for the italian was clearly wrong, but i am also coutning two missed penalties in the croatia game, a possible penalty in the italy game for handball, the botched three yellow cards for simunic, the goal that shouldn't have been for the japanese .... it wasn't great refereeing, but you know what .... that happens and it doesn't change the fact that the aussies mixed it with the best in the world and were certainly not shamed .... they performed remarkably well for a team ranked 42nd

so i am proud of them in the extreme, a little disappointed, but that will fade i think

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Jun 2006, 13:58

Psychobabble wrote:I'm not down with all the rules, but it would have been his second yellow card then, doesn't that make it a red card?
No, but he does miss his next game.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Jun 2006, 14:48

- 2 yellow cards in the same match means a red card and a sending off, followed by a 1 match suspension starting from the next match.
- 2 yellow cards collected within 3 matches means a 1 match suspension, i.e. if you get 1 yellow in the first match and 1 yellow in the second match, you miss the third match.
- yellow cards are expunged every three matches, meaning that if you have played three matches, any number of yellow cards you have collected in those matches are forgotten.
- (direct) red cards are subject to evaluation by FIFA's disciplinary committee. Suspension (number of matches) will be determined based on the referee's report and (in part) on video evidence.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 27 Jun 2006, 14:58

Too bad you have to rush out now to referee some kiddie football or whatever now that Brasil-Ghana is about to kick off :tonguehands:
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Return to “Campfire”