Lord of The Rings

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Apr 2006, 07:29

ThunderTitan wrote:
Orfinn wrote: Glorfindel? Yes he was a pop up hero that got clicked away....sad :bored:
In the movie Glorfindel was also known as Arwen... :devil:

You should just be happy Tom Bombadil didn't pop up outta nowhere.
They left Tom out of the movies because he didnt fit to well, he didnt have much to add to the story. Frodo only met once as far as I can remember and Tom had a wife. The movies would be too long if they added the meeting between Tom and Frodo.
And why would the movies be worse if they added Tom? We just dont know how it could have been like and we will never know either.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Apr 2006, 09:25

Orfinn wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:
Orfinn wrote: Glorfindel? Yes he was a pop up hero that got clicked away....sad :bored:
In the movie Glorfindel was also known as Arwen... :devil:

You should just be happy Tom Bombadil didn't pop up outta nowhere.
They left Tom out of the movies because he didnt fit to well, he didnt have much to add to the story. Frodo only met once as far as I can remember and Tom had a wife. The movies would be too long if they added the meeting between Tom and Frodo.
And why would the movies be worse if they added Tom? We just dont know how it could have been like and we will never know either.
Yet they tossed poor Bill in the movie.How did he fit in there,I have no idea.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Apr 2006, 11:49

@Orfinn:

Read what i said again.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Apr 2006, 16:37

DaemianLucifer wrote: Yet they tossed poor Bill in the movie.How did he fit in there,I have no idea.
As the packhorse of the hobbits and Strider? Notoriously gone during the attack on weathertop, but visible in other scenes...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Apr 2006, 18:19

I just remembered one extremly funny movie.I forgot the title,but the story goes something like this:Terrorists hijack a plain and plan to crash into new yourk,with a cargo of nerve gas they smuggled aboard.Americans send a commando team in,and they manage to kill all of the terrorist,loosing just one commando,pilot and copilot,and two of the pasengers,and damaging just that plain and losing a military jet.Once again,life showed how ironic it can get,a few years later on september the 11th.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Apr 2006, 09:48

Caradoc wrote: Here we go again. The Eye was not Sauron. It was the Eye of Sauron, a different entity, as clearly described in the books.
Huh? I'm pretty sure the Eye of Sauron was more of an expresion, not a diferent entity. And in the movie it was kinda implied that Sauron was that big eye.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 25 Apr 2006, 02:24

ThunderTitan wrote:
Caradoc wrote: Here we go again. The Eye was not Sauron. It was the Eye of Sauron, a different entity, as clearly described in the books.
Huh? I'm pretty sure the Eye of Sauron was more of an expresion, not a diferent entity. And in the movie it was kinda implied that Sauron was that big eye.
Sauron was incorporeal. As I recall the Eye of Sauron simply served as his Palantir. In addition to the Eye of Sauron, there was the Mouth of Sauron who spoke to the heroes at the dark gate.

But I'm sure you are right. Movie goers need to see the bad guy.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Apr 2006, 11:20

I doubt that Sauron was incorporeal as he needed fingers to wear the ring. And I do recall a mention somewhere about him having only 4 fingers at the time (he was regenerating, that's why he send the Nazgul after the ring, he already had a body), but I don't recall where, in LotR, or the Silmarillion.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 25 Apr 2006, 12:58

Sauron had a body similar to that of a elf/man, just much more impressive, until the Downfall of Numenor. After that, his spirit managed to escape back to Mordor where he took his new image of terror and horror, as we see him in the Battle of the Last Alliance, in the first part of the movie.

He had 5 fingers, and then Isildur cut the one with the ring. Doing this, he separated Sauron from a great part of his power, and Sauron 'disintegrated', only his malicious spirit persisting. After 3000 years, he is capable of physical manifestation again, not as a body, but as a gigantic fiery eye.

This is just is choice; he could have appeared as a giant turnip if he wanted; as Tolkien explains in the Valaquenta, the Valar and the Maiar don't need physical shapes to exist, just as we don't need clothes to be human.

The Eye of Sauron is the (metaphorical)name of his manifestation during the period of the war. The fate of the palantirs he found is unknown, but it's unlikely that he 'absorbed' them somehow. He is probably able to use them by force of will or something, withouth direct contact.

As for the Mouth of Sauron, that was just a human or something who was subjugated to Sauron's will, thus communicating his intentions. Sauron used telepathy or something of the sort to transmit his thoughts to the human.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Apr 2006, 14:00

See, that's where you got it wrong. Both Morgoth and Sauron lost most of their shapeshifting powers because of their fall and in Saurons case being destroyed with Numenor (he couldn't take a beautiful shape). In the book Gollum mentions him only having 4 fingers (- the one Isildur choped off).

The Eye of Sauron is the same as the Mouth, and expresion meaning one of his powers. What would an eye do with the Ring? Even PJ admited he got it wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Sauron

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 25 Apr 2006, 14:52

ThunderTitan wrote:See, that's where you got it wrong.
Are you talking to me or to someone before my post?

Anyhow, an Eye would do nothing with the Ring, but would do everything with the power encased in it.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Apr 2006, 14:54

Only morgot lost his shapeshifting completely,but sauron didnt.But he was regenarating during the war.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Apr 2006, 15:05

Both of you are wrong. The shapeshifting had nothing to do with the regenerating. As spirits both could assume any physical shape they wanted, but eventualy both, or at least Morgoth, lost that power and could only take 1 physical shape, the one which most represented their state.

Sauron couldn't take a beautiful form anymore, it didn't actualy say that he has stuck in one form like Morgoth, but he never appears to take another physical form except the Tall Dark Armoured Guy, so it's debatable. Also, as he put most of his power into the One Ring he might need it to be able to shapeshift.

And the Ring would need to be worn on a finger to work.
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 25 Apr 2006, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 25 Apr 2006, 15:05

Morgoth lost more than his shapeshifting ability... he was banished from the world for good at the end of the War of Wrath.
Yes, Sauron was still regenerating, but this process was severely hindered by the fact that a great deal of his power was in the Ring and he didn't have it.

note: Mods, please fix my previous double-post. It's because of my connection, it has some periods when I'm not quite sure it's working perfectly so I click the submit button again.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Apr 2006, 15:09

Dodn't Morgoth lose the ability to shapeshift before he was banished?!

And Wiki says that Gollum mentions Sauron having only 4 fingers, so he had a body, he wasn't an eye.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 25 Apr 2006, 15:15

He certainly did. I didn't imply otherwise.
bla bla bla...at the end of the War of Wrath.

As for Sauron, I guess it's true if Gollum says... I haven't read the book recently. ;|

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Apr 2006, 15:26

Morgoth wasnt banished,he ran away.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Apr 2006, 15:38

At the end of the War of Wrath the Valar imprisoned him again. When he escapes the world will end.

@tLD:

I do recal someone mentioning that Sauron had a body in the book, and Wikipedia says it's Gollum. I heaven't read the book in a while either, but I do remember that when I read it after seeing the first movie I relized that in it Sauron wasn't a big eye.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 Apr 2006, 16:01

ThunderTitan wrote: And the Ring would need to be worn on a finger to work.
Are you sure? Even if Sauron did disintegrate when physically severed from it, he did (in the movie) wear it outside of the armor, which would imply that direct contact isn't necessary. It's possible that a spirit Sauron might have been able to use some the One Ring's power to form himself a new body, for example, after which he couldwield it freely (didn't he do something like that after the fall of Numenor?).
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Fenris
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Fenris » 25 Apr 2006, 16:01

ThunderTitan wrote: @tLD:

I do recal someone mentioning that Sauron had a body in the book, and Wikipedia says it's Gollum. I heaven't read the book in a while either, but I do remember that when I read it after seeing the first movie I relized that in it Sauron wasn't a big eye.
Yup, it's Gollum. He says it in The Two Towers. When they're in the dead marshes I think.
Hey, I know where we are! We're in that place where I didn't know where we were before!

Return to “Campfire”