Tech Corner

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 09 Feb 2013, 11:00

@TT
When you don't see your HDD in bios, and the cable and sata controllers are ok. Then you have a combo pack. Dead disk and a need to get a new one.

Sometimes HDD can "wake up" temporarily when you put them vertically (on a side) or if you put them into the fridge (in some plastic bag to prevent condensed water dmg).

If you see the drive normally then you may try to repair partition tables with GParted Live CD or just to restore files with TestDisk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I discovered that my TV card - Kworld 210SE is again having functional drivers under Win7/8. Years ago there was a rumour that it will never happen! :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking to get a new psu for just a 24h on office computer. Deciding between Zalman ZM450-GS and Corsair CX Builder Series 430W (V2).

Can I ask for any experience, recommendation to them, especially the first one?
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Feb 2013, 15:48

Ok, got a new SSD now... man, having to redo the whole win settings is so annoying...

Would a system restore cd do it auto for me next time?

And the broken HDD doesn't have any slave/master labels where it should... do i just use the ones that didn't have the thing on them or what?

Anyhow, i noticed i don't have any specs in my post history, so i'll just leave this here for future ref:

Image ID : 2687016

specs motherboard pc my computer hardware

You're welcome, future me...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 09 Feb 2013, 16:11

ThunderTitan wrote:Would a system restore cd do it auto for me next time?
Yes, it would, with included system image. But you need another HDD to keep the backup here or more than 4 DVDs. Alternatively you may use Clonezilla.

ThunderTitan wrote:And the broken HDD doesn't have any slave/master labels where it should... do i just use the ones that didn't have the thing on them or what?
SATA hdd don't have it. They don't need it. Only IDE have something like this on. Then one master per cable is the rule.

Strange! You are about two and half generations back. - Slow memory a bit. For just a two it would be DDR2 800MHz 6-6-6-18 or DDR3. :P

Edit:
This is mine. Two gens back :P
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Feb 2013, 21:26

But you need another HDD to keep the backup here
In other words, not really worth it...
Then one master per cable is the rule.
What?

Strange! You are about two and half generations back.
It's a 2008 PC... i'll replace the RAM when i get a new MB/Proc...

BTW, do i need a new MB or would this one do for a few more years?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 14 Feb 2013, 18:50

Is there any reason to avoid OEM versions of Windows 7?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 Feb 2013, 20:26

ThunderTitan
What?
You don't need jumpers, just connect each drive on the end of each cable. You will get two "masters"
BTW, do i need a new MB or would this one do for a few more years?
Speaking of longevity it will likely last - it's Intel. Speaking of performance it's already outdated - because it's Intel. But today you will not need only a new board, you will need new memory modules and a new cpu.

mr.hackcrag
No, get them! The licence is not transferable to another computer but that usually doesn't matter. (Cause full version which is, is usually three times more xpensive)
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 16 Feb 2013, 04:09

Pol wrote: No, get them! The licence is not transferable to another computer but that usually doesn't matter. (Cause full version which is, is usually three times more xpensive)
Hmm, I'm not sure whether to use $180 gift card on $200 full version Windows 7 or spend $100 on OEM Windows 7 and use $180 gift card on something else. :| Can't mix those options unfortunately.;|

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Feb 2013, 07:53

I would save 180$ for something else.
"We made it!"

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 Feb 2013, 18:20

Yes, I would do the same.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 17 Feb 2013, 02:37

Okay, but the only other interesting thing to choose from with the gift card seems to be a camera and I'm unsure of the quality. Oh well, at least I'll be able to take a picture of myself naked. B-)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Feb 2013, 22:14

If you can use to the gift card later, that might be an option to consider. Later one of your devices might break down, a new shiny product might come out, etc.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Feb 2013, 23:31

Yup.

Also I find out a cheaper alternative for PSU.

65$
http://www.microcenter.com/product/3015 ... wer_Supply

Not any whistles and bells but a standard solid PSU. Review here.

Edit
I just noticed that lower version (500W) is known for accidentally destroying motherboards and drives, approximately after three years, so after warranty period. There I don't know if there was some faulty series or what but it happened. Reclamation ratio is below 2% within three yers, so it's very fine. Need to say this PSU is on the market from 2009, so there certainly could be many circuit changes under the hood.

I today bought easy PSU ZM500-GS. Easy on my ears. Otherwise normal almost no-name psu. (Manufacturer CWT, internal build similar to older Corsair Builder, DSA platform)

Some links for curious people, about PSUs in general:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/PSUs/
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
http://www.jonnyguru.com
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/forumdi ... 6fbc33&f=3
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_arch ... ge1530.htm
http://www.overclock.net/products/categ ... r-supplies
"We made it!"

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Feb 2013, 17:12

So, what reliable 500gb HDD's do you recommend Pol?

And will the SSD make games installed in the HDD load faster or only the ones on it?

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 05 Mar 2013, 16:58

What is the verdict on Windows 8 vs Windows 7? I know that 8 sells for a lot less at retail than 7: $60 vs $180 last time I checked at Best Buy.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 05 Mar 2013, 17:31

Express review...

Windows 8 is fast, my PC now wakes up in 3 seconds. I like the mobile/desktop/Xbox convergence despite its flaws (the biggest one is that the Start menu was removed way too quickly). I really like the minimalism of Internet Explorer 10 (and that's coming from a long-time Firefox user) and the integration with SkyDrive. The Windows store is severely lacking, but some good apps can be found with some research. I wouldn't even consider using Windows 8 for work at the moment, but for a home PC it's enjoyable. On my phone I like the UI, but I really hate the way Windows manages storage space.

Bottomline: Windows 7 remains my favorite overall, but the Windows 8 UI is growing on me.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Mar 2013, 14:22

Angelspit wrote: Windows 8 is fast, my PC now wakes up in 3 seconds.
You sure you didn't just get an SDD?

And has anyone seen Pol?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Mar 2013, 15:23

He's on a poliday. ;)
He's got the flu. Check the absence thread.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Mar 2013, 17:28

Nah, much easier to have you tell me...

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 15 Mar 2013, 22:41

ThunderTitan wrote:So, what reliable 500gb HDD's do you recommend Pol?

And will the SSD make games installed in the HDD load faster or only the ones on it?
Almost any. Avoid green editions (slow as main hdd) and you will be safe. 3yr warranty wouldn't hurt either.

Very, very little. The game should be on SSD, or you may create ramdrive. Otherwise you may at least placing here "tmp" files.
"We made it!"

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Mar 2013, 16:11

So i went and got this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822149380

Should be arriving on the morrow...

And by ramdrive you mean the virtual memory thing?

Return to “Campfire”