MM6 - MM9: Favorite Quest vs. Least Favorite

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 15 Nov 2007, 00:58

I find all too quickly that the sorcerers at the entrance can produce light elementals far quicker than I can dispatch them. You are going to have to have some means to dispatch more than one opponent at a single time and neither the archerer or the thief have that luxury.
You could be right that I might like to use invisibility when I am feeling lazy but, this is not to say that I do not appreciate going into "insane bloodthirsty-fight mode" every now and then. Some areas are far funner to just go all-out in.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 15 Nov 2007, 01:04

It's a party based game. I see no reason that the character itself should be able to do the quest alone.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Nov 2007, 07:13

CoffeeGnome wrote:The Ranger quest cannot be completed by a ranger because the ranger cannot cast Lloyd's Beacon and a lot of the traps will be activated no matter if you touch them or not.
Pfeh. I didn't have much trouble completing that quest. There are certainly worse ones out there.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 15 Nov 2007, 15:33

CoffeeGnome wrote:Yes, I too detest the ranger quest from MM9. I do not feel that it is fair in any way to have a quest that the character himself cannot possibly complete. The Ranger quest cannot be completed by a ranger because the ranger cannot cast Lloyd's Beacon and a lot of the traps will be activated no matter if you touch them or not.
Untrue. I beat the Ranger quest without use of Lloyd's Beacon.
The 1st archerer quest from MM7, there is no way to get to the elevator mechanism without either the use of protection from magic or invisibility.
You could get the Cloak of the Sheep from the temple of Baa. :)
The 2nd thief (evil) quest from MM7, sure a thief can steal the dagger once they make it to the target but, they will never make it in the first place unless someone else casts invisibility upon the party.
Actually, that applies to every single freaking thief quest in MM7. All the thief quests require stealth and thieves have no option to be stealthy. Putting Masters of the Sword in Markham's Manor was insane.

But the most annoying quests for me are:

MMVI -- the entire game featured overly large dungeons with too many monsters for too little reward. A special place of honor goes to Gharik's Forge in this regard. Runner up being druid promotion quests, where you'll have to wait half a year. :(

MMVII -- If you wait to do it until you actually get it, the Light Side Champion promotion will likely catch you with your pants down (unless you have already grandmastered all your other party members).

MMVIII -- the Bee Hive.

MMIX -- Yup, the lich quest.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 15 Nov 2007, 15:49

Bandobras Took wrote:MMVI -- the entire game featured overly large dungeons with too many monsters for too little reward. A special place of honor goes to Gharik's Forge in this regard.
Agreed.
Bandobras Took wrote: Runner up being druid promotion quests, where you'll have to wait half a year. :(
Actually, the longest you have to wait is 3 months. You can do the quest on solstices AND equinoxes.
Bandobras Took wrote:MMVIII -- the Bee Hive.
That dungeon was annoying as hell, but I don't recall an actual quest to go there, refresh my memory?

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 15 Nov 2007, 17:19

Least favorite probably means the most frustrating or easy quests.

Least favorite

MM6 - Cavalier promotion
MM7 - Champion promotion (5 arena fights)
MM8 - Free minotaurs
MM9 - Ranger promotion

Most favorite

MM6 - Temple of Baa related
MM7 - restore castle Harmondale
MM8 - Arcomage
MM9 - Dark Passageway quest

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 15 Nov 2007, 22:52

MM6 - Temple of Baa related

Yea the room full of skeletons truly gave you your golds worth when you bought that inferno spell. :D
MM8 - Arcomage
Just in 8? You did not like it in 7 or it just was not your favorite from 7? :|
MM8 - Free minotaurs
Finally someone hates this one as much as I do!
MM9 - Dark Passageway quest
Do you mean the mountain pass? I don't remember a dark passageway?

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 15 Nov 2007, 23:39

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote: Runner up being druid promotion quests, where you'll have to wait half a year. :(
Actually, the longest you have to wait is 3 months. You can do the quest on solstices AND equinoxes.
I exaggerated slightly for effect. Nevertheless, I received that quest the DAY AFTER one of the dates. :(
Bandobras Took wrote:MMVIII -- the Bee Hive.
That dungeon was annoying as hell, but I don't recall an actual quest to go there, refresh my memory?
Not entered into the quest book, but you find a little scroll that tells you about how to get the treasure by jumping, I believe. Counts as a quest in my book, kind of like collecting all the journals of the traveling priest in MM7. :)

Anyway, as for favorites:
MM6 : None. I really haven't ever enjoyed a single quest in that game.
MM7 : The Tolberti/Robert the Wise assassination quests. Boy, do those two hate each other.
MM8 : Vampire Promotion, hands down. Elemental Air Jewel takes second place.
MM9 : Ranger Promotion! (waits for rocks to begin flying)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 16 Nov 2007, 00:28

I am not going to throw any rocks; I just simply do not like it. Also I have managed to run the entire course (after saving in each section) without setting off one trap at any part and the guy at the end still insists that I have to pass it without setting off any traps. Even when I pass, I still do not pass.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 16 Nov 2007, 01:48

Bandobras Took wrote:
The 1st archerer quest from MM7, there is no way to get to the elevator mechanism without either the use of protection from magic or invisibility.
You could get the Cloak of the Sheep from the temple of Baa. :)
Or use RLH tactics and pick up all the Paralysis Cure and Stone-to-Flesh Potions lying around.

Agree the Wasp Nest was a bit annoying (jumping up those stupid little holes in the roof--makes me wish there was a grab-onto-the-edge command in MM...) but I don't find it too bad mostly because I don't normally bother with it. :) All that's in there is the Royal Wasp Jelly and a bunch of Dagger-wielding bees, and money isn't exactly scarce in MM8...MMIX on the other hand...

Dark Passageway in MMIX was horrible my first time through it though, mostly because I didn't see it coming and my party was severely underpowered. I never would have made it that time if not for Turn Undead and Enrage.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 16 Nov 2007, 14:53

CoffeeGnome wrote:
I am not going to throw any rocks; I just simply do not like it. Also I have managed to run the entire course (after saving in each section) without setting off one trap at any part and the guy at the end still insists that I have to pass it without setting off any traps. Even when I pass, I still do not pass.
I know there was one trap that took me quite a while to notice. I was setting it off every time I went through. It's been a while since I've played MM9 (currently going through MM8 again)

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 18 Nov 2007, 14:29

darknessfood wrote:
CoffeeGnome wrote:Speaking of MM6, what is that guy "Q" suppoed to be in the medusa lair within Blackshire? He looks like a overweight peasant but he has more hit points than a gold dragon and is able to eradicate you with a single attck. Is he a glitch they decided to keep or what? 8|
Nopes, he's just an easter egg. Trick is to get him in a attack range between a wall. He keeps firing those eraticate sh*t at you so behind a wall you are save to attack him while his attacks keep hitting the wall.
He also has an item for you, calles "horn of ross" i believe. With that thing you can rightclick on a creature and see his hitpoints.
best place would be to get him atuck in the wall to the right when ya enter his room, so ya get a candle between you and him, that way his blasts hit the candle and yours hit him, if ya stand at the right angle/position. i always used this tactic when i killed him, even my first meeting with him i accidently did this. :)
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

andy1694
Peasant
Peasant

:)

Unread postby andy1694 » 07 Apr 2008, 07:29

Favorite quests
MM6: Temple of Baa, Castle Kriegspire
MM7: Retrieve the 3 painting, Archomage was fun:) Human elf war quest. was a little fun to
MM8: The ending quests. I just did this by using Invicibility and Then they got Easy. and the shooting down the Regnan fleet was fun.
MM9: I enyoy The breaking out The general from the prison in Drangheim

Least favorite
MM6: I hate VArn a bit. I Think Varn were much harder than The hive.
MM7: Lincoln was hard and i had som problem with the walls of Mist too.
MM8: i must admit i hate the minotaur quest to.
MM9: i Dont think i have got to haten any quest yet:P

Ps! Might and magic IX am i playing now. So i have not tried so many quest there Yet

Fraser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Fraser » 08 Apr 2008, 05:45

Since this has been bumped -- no quest in particular that I dislike -- quests that I found difficult last time I played were easy this time around --but one area I find endlessly annoying is the whole Passage to Nighon area; too many Gogs and Magogs and their foul spawn the Goglings, too many Minotaurs, and Medusas, too many Behemoths. It just goes on and on. And on. Enough, already!

I've put it off so long in this game I may end up regretting it.

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 08 Apr 2008, 08:06

In my opinion Acromage quest is the worse one. (MM7,MM8), particularly in MM7. Long and not really interesting. And reward, you finally get, is nothing special for that moment.

Fraser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Fraser » 10 Apr 2008, 05:40

I like Arcomage. I usually play a game or two at the inns just for fun. But I always enjoy the in-game games. Once I got the hang of it, I loved swoop racing in KOTOR, although learning it was a nightmare.

The thing is, none of the quests in MM7 are particularly hard once you have Fly, Invisibility and Town Portal, which I haven't found yet in this game for some reason (and boy do I miss it).

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 10 Apr 2008, 08:40

I would like to name Lloids Beacon also. This spell could save tonns of potions and time, if you are using heling spells.

Dess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dess » 30 Apr 2008, 22:47

Castle Darkmoor memory crystal, most annoying dungeon ever. (Leave my wizard eye and torch light alone at least!)

Loved the riddle trees in Castle Alamos though.

Roj
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Roj » 01 May 2008, 05:09

Secret_Holder wrote:Missing soul jars? They've always been in the Walls when I looked.
To get soul jars from Walls, you must not open the chest with other soul jars in Nighon underground.

Roj
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Roj » 01 May 2008, 05:27

Bandobras Took wrote:But the most annoying quests for me are:

MMVI -- the entire game featured overly large dungeons with too many monsters for too little reward. A special place of honor goes to Gharik's Forge in this regard. Runner up being druid promotion quests, where you'll have to wait half a year. :(
Why wait half of year for the first druid promotion? It can be done in March.

Return to “Might and Magic”