Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Xfing
Druid
Druid
Posts: 869
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby Xfing » Oct 16 2021, 11:39

I also thought that the Troll and Mino classes are missing from the spreadsheet, they could be accessible exclusively to troll and mino peasants. Axe is already taken, but Regeneration trainers could be ones to promote troll peasants to the idiosyncratic Troll class for example.

StormyG7
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby StormyG7 » Oct 17 2021, 2:34

Is there a way to increase the resolution or mess with font size?

User avatar
DaveHer
Demon
Demon
Posts: 326
Joined: 13 Mar 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby DaveHer » Oct 17 2021, 3:08

I am doing The Merge Redone. MM7 and MM8 of the merge are finished. I am at this point working on MM6 of the merge. I installed the latest version of the merge( 03.06.2021 and the patch 05.07.2021 and then the Revamp Version). As I was testing I was getting the pending symbol ( the red circle with the red slash) in the inventory. I went and checked the files and found that they were not installed correctly. I fix that for my copy of the merge. Who ever is in charge of the merge needs to email so I can provide him with the corrected files. Also there exsist a big problem that can never be corrected unless someone is willing to do a lot of repainting. When GDSpectra and me repainted the helmets and hats, I used one male human paper doll and one female human paper doll to position the helmets and hats. I asumeed that all humans had the heads in the exact same spot. They do not. Thus the helms and hats do not appear correctly on some of the humans. To correct this you would either have to move the head of those humans whos helms do not appear correctly or move the paper dolls but then you would have to move every thing they wear. The complexe item pictures text ( it is what is used for positioning the clothing on paper doll) has only one slot for male human and female humans.
David Hernandez
Creator of The Chaos Conspiracy Redone
Last edited by DaveHer on Nov 12 2021, 4:00, edited 1 time in total.

StormyG7
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 11.05.2021]

Postby StormyG7 » Oct 21 2021, 7:01

Rodril wrote: Jun 6 2021, 18:58 Game will generate up to 8 hireable NPCs. Once they hired, none will be generated untill you'll dismiss someone forever (any character, even original mm8 mercenary). This is internal engine limit - max amount of playable characters is 50. 4 of them reserved for party creation, 2 - for service purposes, 36 - for original mm8 characters, including main hero, 8 slots left for random ones. When you dismiss someone forever, game gets free slot and can generate new one.
That's disappointing. I was in the middle of a playthrough attempting to enjoy every single character and fully promote each one. I modified the NPC Mercenary script file to get them as often as I wanted and limit the selection to just the portraits I had not yet attained and the class I wanted for each character, not realizing that almost every single character I dismissed and cycled through was disappearing into the ether.

I don't see why there's no way around this engine limit. Couldn't character data just be exported to a new text file to get around the limit?

Lua scripting paired with MMExtension should be capable of exporting and importing files with all the character data in them. All I need to do is figure out how to make this script for importing and exporting characters. Perhaps there's a way to have the adventurer's inn populate with data from the exported files then hiring would import the file and use the data to add the character to the party.

I'm kinda bummed out as I've got plenty on my plate in the adult world and I don't know if I could implement something like this with my meager programming skills and knowledge. I understand how to make linked lists and how to export and import data to a file in java and C, but using LUA and MMExtension, is there a reason this system I'm imagining wouldn't work?
Last edited by StormyG7 on Oct 21 2021, 12:49, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
raekuul
Conscript
Conscript
Posts: 247
Joined: 05 Jul 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby raekuul » Oct 21 2021, 12:42

Actually that does have me wondering; could we remove some of the higher-level NPCs (have to keep the Level 5 NPCs and the ones tied to quests - Dyson, Overdune, Blazen, and Cauri) to make room for more random ones?

StormyG7
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby StormyG7 » Oct 21 2021, 16:34

I haven't tested this, but I'd imagine if you modify the roster.txt file which contains the table for available party members around MM8, you should be able to add, remove, or even change existing NPCs for hire.

However, if I can get this lua script working, that might be irrelevant. I've found out that I can indeed export character data to a file using MMExtension lua scripts. Currently, I can hire a merc and use the data I've populated the file with to replace an existing character by simply changing them into the one from the file. I'm close to figuring out how to get around the 50 character limit using this method.

User avatar
LordInsane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 27
Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Location: Occupied Norway

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby LordInsane » Oct 21 2021, 18:57

raekuul wrote: Oct 21 2021, 12:42 Actually that does have me wondering; could we remove some of the higher-level NPCs (have to keep the Level 5 NPCs and the ones tied to quests - Dyson, Overdune, Blazen, and Cauri) to make room for more random ones?
It might be possible, but if so I feel there perhaps should also be a version that also keeps Flamdring, Duroth the Eternal and Brimstone (since some people keep to the MM8 rule of dragons only being recruitable, not character creatable).

User avatar
Kinox
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 43
Joined: 14 Sep 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 11.05.2021]

Postby Kinox » Oct 22 2021, 11:12

StormyG7 wrote: Oct 21 2021, 7:01
Rodril wrote: Jun 6 2021, 18:58 Game will generate up to 8 hireable NPCs. Once they hired, none will be generated untill you'll dismiss someone forever (any character, even original mm8 mercenary). This is internal engine limit - max amount of playable characters is 50. 4 of them reserved for party creation, 2 - for service purposes, 36 - for original mm8 characters, including main hero, 8 slots left for random ones. When you dismiss someone forever, game gets free slot and can generate new one.
That's disappointing. I was in the middle of a playthrough attempting to enjoy every single character and fully promote each one. I modified the NPC Mercenary script file to get them as often as I wanted and limit the selection to just the portraits I had not yet attained and the class I wanted for each character, not realizing that almost every single character I dismissed and cycled through was disappearing into the ether.

I don't see why there's no way around this engine limit. Couldn't character data just be exported to a new text file to get around the limit?

Lua scripting paired with MMExtension should be capable of exporting and importing files with all the character data in them. All I need to do is figure out how to make this script for importing and exporting characters. Perhaps there's a way to have the adventurer's inn populate with data from the exported files then hiring would import the file and use the data to add the character to the party.

I'm kinda bummed out as I've got plenty on my plate in the adult world and I don't know if I could implement something like this with my meager programming skills and knowledge. I understand how to make linked lists and how to export and import data to a file in java and C, but using LUA and MMExtension, is there a reason this system I'm imagining wouldn't work?
Yeah, as a "collector" I have exactly the same frustration with this situation in MMM. At least in MM8 there is a quite handy solution for 'fixing' some portraits issues, which is mm8che.exe. It would be great if there was a similar "mmmche.exe" thingy.
Portraits: MM6 has 12, MM7 has 24 (20 if not considering liches and zombies), MM8 has 26 (28 if consider liches, but then 26 in the consideration that they are the same from MM7), furthermore there is a good amount of nicely modded portraits from other projects including from MMM itself. So it is already compromised with a portraits' limit of 50; but also because there are currently so few (8) randomized mercenaries.
Anyways, I'm just expressing my point of view.

Ossie
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 69
Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Location: Ossie

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby Ossie » Oct 22 2021, 22:00

Completing the Light path quests for MM7. Haven't been to Castle Gloaming yet but just cleared the Nighon tunnels & found the Soul Jars in the warlock room - the ones that are supposed to be returned for the Dark path quest. Sir Caneghem (Light quest giver) actually accepted these Soul Jars to complete the Light quest! From a meta-game POV this is pretty cool - they are all Soul Jars, why wouldn't they work? But I don't remember this happening in vanilla - if you choose Light path, the Jars are there in Castle Gloaming but not the Nighon tunnels, and if you choose Dark path they are in Nighon but not the Castle.

Am I misremembering this? Were both sets of Jars always available regardless of path? Would the Light/Dark quest giver always accept the "other" Jars? Or is this new behaviour in Merge Mod - intentional or otherwise?

Ossie
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 69
Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Location: Ossie

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby Ossie » Oct 23 2021, 5:40

Alright I didn't realise how much Verdant's quests were merely "Collect these 20 random objects which you've already sold because you didn't realise this was coming", requiring you to do the grand reload tour around the entire world, followed by "OK now collect these 20 other random objects which you've also sold but I wouldn't credit last time because we weren't up to THIS quest", followed by "Now collect these OTHER 20 random objects" etc etc, rinse, repeat. Getting absurdly tedious. Please post item code for Focal Ring and Phoenix Feather

Tomsod
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 55
Joined: 31 Jul 2020

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby Tomsod » Oct 23 2021, 13:14

Ossie wrote: Oct 22 2021, 22:00 Completing the Light path quests for MM7. Haven't been to Castle Gloaming yet but just cleared the Nighon tunnels & found the Soul Jars in the warlock room - the ones that are supposed to be returned for the Dark path quest. Sir Caneghem (Light quest giver) actually accepted these Soul Jars to complete the Light quest! From a meta-game POV this is pretty cool - they are all Soul Jars, why wouldn't they work? But I don't remember this happening in vanilla - if you choose Light path, the Jars are there in Castle Gloaming but not the Nighon tunnels, and if you choose Dark path they are in Nighon but not the Castle.

Am I misremembering this? Were both sets of Jars always available regardless of path? Would the Light/Dark quest giver always accept the "other" Jars? Or is this new behaviour in Merge Mod - intentional or otherwise?
Yes, you absolutely can complete Light path Soul Jars quest with Warlock jars, it's been known before. Both jar cases have the same item ID, so the game cannot tell them apart. As for reverse -- maybe? Necromancer jars may be in one of those Schrodinger chests that only contain the quest item if the quest is active, but if not, it should work too. Except, walking around in the castle makes the entire Pit hostile, and the evt code that's supposed to calm the guards after a month is broken in vanilla, so it's a bad idea.

Roderick the Spy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 1
Joined: 24 Oct 2021

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby Roderick the Spy » Oct 24 2021, 12:07

I seem to have ran into a problem with the Enchant Item spell. The spell fails on items that I distinctly recall being enchantable.
I'm using the latest version of the mod and patch without any community modifications and one small modification to the MM3 Land of the Giants wishing well. (This might be an indirect cause of the issue, as my Sorcerer has 60 in Water Magic, but I can't verify it.)

Any help with how I can start enchanting items again would be appreciated.

StormyG7
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby StormyG7 » Oct 27 2021, 5:18

I finally finished making a script for exporting/importing party members for personal use. This is my way around the annoying engine limit of 50 player-characters which makes it so you can't have more than I think 8 people in the Adventurer's Inn.

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c1xNQM ... sp=sharing
Updated to fix a few issues causing spells not to import and for any item at index 1 to turn into a longsword

How to use the script:
1. Unzip the file and place it in the *Game Directory* -> 'Scripts' -> 'General Scripts' folder.
2. In-game press cntrl+F1 to bring up the MMExtension LUA console.
3. To export a character type " EPM() " into the console and press cntrl+Enter to execute the command. It will export whichever party member is selected.
--Export Note 1: Characters are stored in editable text files by name under *Game Directory* -> Adventurers. If the folder doesn't exist, the export script should create it. You can change things in the text files, but be careful not to mess up the format or it might mess up when importing. Characters with the same exact name will overwrite one another.
--Export Note 2: Characters that are exported will remain in your party. You essentially have a text copy. Just dismiss an exported character if you don't need them still in your party.
4. To import a character type " IPM("**Character Name**"). This will add one of the characters in the unused slot and replace everything about them with the imported data.
--Import Notes: Before your portrait is that of the imported character, you need to save and load your game after an import or your character portrait WILL NOT change right away. It will be one of the portraits for characters in the generic slots from the end of the roster.txt file until you change areas or load the game.
5. To import a character over the top of an existing party member, type " IPMO("**Character Name**") " into the console. This will replace whichever party member you have selected with whichever one you imported. I did this so that someone using my script could import an edited version of a character from the text file.

There are a few more things to note.
First and foremost, if you dismiss a mercenary or imported character to the Adventurer's Inn and import one later, they'll start disappearing from the Inn. This script is intended to be an alternative to the Adventurer's Inn given that the Inn can't hold many before they start to disappear.
Second, I haven't tested Lloyd's Beacon on imported characters yet. It should import correctly as far as I know; if not, should be an easy fix. My current party is fairly new; no grandmaster spells yet.
Third, I know there's a table that can fill up with promotion awards under " Party[**Player Index #**].Attrs.PromotionAwards ", for award entries about honorary promotions I think, but it is just an empty table and I'm guessing it only fills up when you get promotion awards. I'll wait till I get one to see about importing/exporting them.

Chinasun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 1
Joined: 24 Aug 2019

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby Chinasun » Oct 27 2021, 17:21

Hi all,

I discovered the M&M franchise with M&M6, although M&M7 will always be my favorite episode. Nowadays, the Merge mod took the 1st place. Being able to play the best combinations of the 6-7-8 trilogy is truly awesome. Many thanks to every fan involved in the process. :)

I've seen so many exciting features added with the Merge mod that I'm wondering if the following could be feasible :
I've always felt a bummer that the races concept introduced in M&M7 only affects character creation process (starting resistances are negligible and there are several ways to bump the attributes afterwards coupled with little interest to have the attributes set too high because of the threshold breakpoints).
Instead, I'd have preferred if attribute boosts gained during the game (permanent, temporary, item based) affect Races the same way than in the character creation step (i.e: strength bonuses doubled for dwarf and goblin, endurance bonuses halved for elf etc...), making race selection a more impactful choice.
Is it technically possible to implement such feature in the Merge mod ?

hauko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 2
Joined: 21 Oct 2014

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby hauko » Oct 28 2021, 14:07

I got problems installing the community branch I think.
I got some new Portraits of zombie troll and Minotaur I can chose on character creation but I can't choose all races in all continents and no custom classes besides peasent.

DragonBoy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Oct 2021

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby DragonBoy » Oct 28 2021, 14:17

Hi guys,
I've been trying to play Might & Magic 6 since 1998 :D :D And for various reasons, after playing for a while, I would either loose the saves or something will shake my life and I will stop. Now I've started playing the GoG version of it again and I have around 20 hours into the game.

Now I've just discovered the Merge project and I was wondering is it possible to transfer my save files from MM6 to Merge? If not, can I at least transfer my party as it is with all of it's stats etc?

Thank you :tsup:

StormyG7
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby StormyG7 » Oct 28 2021, 18:03

DragonBoy wrote: Oct 28 2021, 14:17 Hi guys,
I've been trying to play Might & Magic 6 since 1998 :D :D And for various reasons, after playing for a while, I would either loose the saves or something will shake my life and I will stop. Now I've started playing the GoG version of it again and I have around 20 hours into the game.

Now I've just discovered the Merge project and I was wondering is it possible to transfer my save files from MM6 to Merge? If not, can I at least transfer my party as it is with all of it's stats etc?

Thank you :tsup:
No, you can't port your saves. The merge is made in MM8. You can't really port your party over because the skill system, races, and a myriad of other things don't translate 100% to the Merge, but you could use the MMExtension console and my script to import/export characters to modify whatever party you create in the World of Enroth merge to match your current party as closely as possible.

DragonBoy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Oct 2021

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby DragonBoy » Oct 29 2021, 6:13

StormyG7 wrote: Oct 28 2021, 18:03 No, you can't port your saves. The merge is made in MM8. You can't really port your party over because the skill system, races, and a myriad of other things don't translate 100% to the Merge, but you could use the MMExtension console and my script to import/export characters to modify whatever party you create in the World of Enroth merge to match your current party as closely as possible.
Hi,
Thank you so much for your answer... I kind of thought that would be the case more or less, but I just needed a confirmation so I could shutter my dreams properly :D :D :D
If its not too much trouble, would it be possible please to point me to the right direction as to where and how to use your script in order to transfer my characters? :oex:

Thank you again :tsup:

StormyG7
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Nov 2016

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby StormyG7 » Oct 29 2021, 9:36

The link is just a bit further up this webpage in a post I made a few days ago.

DragonBoy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Oct 2021

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Postby DragonBoy » Oct 29 2021, 12:23

StormyG7 wrote: Oct 29 2021, 9:36 The link is just a bit further up this webpage in a post I made a few days ago.
Thank you for the script and the pointers, but I've run into a problem... I've installed the script, Created a new game with a new character. Then I successfully exported the character and got this result from the console:

=================================
> EPM()
...Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ImportExportPlayer.lua:12: attempt to index field 'Attrs' (a nil value)

stack traceback:
...Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ImportExportPlayer.lua:12: in function <...Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ImportExportPlayer.lua:2>
[ C ]: in function 'pcall'
D:\GOG Games\Might and Magic 8/Scripts/Core/Debug.lua:89: in function 'DoDebug'
D:\GOG Games\Might and Magic 8/Scripts/Core/Debug.lua:131: in function 'debug'
...es\Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\DebugConsoleKey.lua:6: in function 'v'
Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

local variables of '...Might and Magic 8\Scripts\General\ImportExportPlayer.lua:12':
filename = "Diana"
filepath = ".\\Adventurers\\Diana.txt"
file = ("file (0x03328530)")
(*temporary) = (function: builtin#102)
(*temporary) = ("file (0x03328530)")
(*temporary) = (function: builtin#91)
(*temporary) = "Race #:\9%d\
"
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = 0
(*temporary) = nan
(*temporary) = (table: 0x2fa6bd48)
(*temporary) = (table: 0x2fa6bea0)
(*temporary) = (function: 0x2fa6bf58)
(*temporary) = -3
(*temporary) = (table: 0x2fa6bb18)
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = 1.8192458804273e-293
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = 1.7403451604127e-312
(*temporary) = ("cdata<unsigned int *>: 0x0051930c")
(*temporary) = "attempt to index field 'Attrs' (a nil value)"
>
===================================================
now the txt file doesn't give me many options for customisation... I only get this... Am I doing something wrong?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++START Character Info
Name: Diana
Class #: 16

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 25 guests