Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Arch-vile
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 23.07.2023]

Unread postby Arch-vile » 10 Aug 2023, 07:00

@Rodril
These quests achievements belong in the Awards.txt file. Is it possible to move them there so that they appear in the game under the "Awards" button?

mmmerge.T.lod\Autonote.txt
492 Brought Power Stone to Fredrick Talimere. misc
493 Blackmailed the Wererat Smugglers. Misc
494 Delivered Dadeross' Letter to Elgar Fellmoon. Misc
495 Placed Vilebite's ashes in the Troll Tomb. Misc
499 Brought Potions of Fire Resistance to the southern houses of Rust. Misc
500 Killed all of the Ogres in the Alvar region. Misc
501 Found the Dragonbane flower for Calindril in the Garrote Gorge Dragon Hunter's Fort. Misc
502 Found the Dragonbane flower for Balion Tearwing in Garrote Gorge. Misc
503 Killed all of the Dragons in the Garrote Gorge area for Avalon in the Garrote Gorge Dragon Hunter's Fort. Misc
504 Killed all of the Dragon Hunters in the Garrote Gorge are for Jerin Flame-eye in the Dragon Cave of Garrote Gorge. Misc
507 Found Troll Homeland. Misc
509 Returned Ebonest to Charles Quixote. Misc
510 Rescued Blazen Stormlance. Misc
512 Gave the Sword of Whistlebone the Slayer to the Deftclaw Redreaver. Misc
517 Recovered Idol of the Snake for Hiss of Blood Drop village. Misc
518 Found the shield Eclipse. Misc
519 Rescued Irabelle Hunter from the Ogre Fortress in Alvar. Misc
520 Brought the Annointed Herb Potion to Languid on the Dagger Wound Islands. Misc
521 Killed all of the Dire Wolves in the Ravenshore area. Misc
522 Delivered False Report to the Dread Pirate Stanley for Arion Hunter. Misc
523 Current Fines Due: %lu Misc
524 Rescued Loren Steel Misc
525 Gave Loren Imposter to Catherine Misc
526 Retrieved Fort Riverstride Plans Misc
527 Gave false plans to Elfking Misc

Lurdur
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lurdur » 10 Aug 2023, 12:36

On another save, found another issue. The Faerie King has not promoted my Archer to Hunter after meeting him (whilst also having Kerrid's Letter).
Save link: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3btvdb1x ... 3s54x&dl=0
I will die on the rock that Deyja has a Spanish J

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 10 Aug 2023, 18:02

It just occured to me that Mages would make more sense in Mist, and Followers of Baa in New Sorpigal. Mist is the place for magic users, and NS has the abandoned temple of baa and is connected to Ironfist. In terms of game balance Mist is too easy as well.

Maybe this should be swapped around, or both places should have both types of enemies (if you ever intend to place more enemy types across the world)? The mages on the New Sorpigal islands should probably stay.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 10 Aug 2023, 20:39

cthscr wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 07:54
justl wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 16:44 New Sorpigal Main map: In vanilla mm6 the vulcano would errupt, when you touched the buoy near it -> event is missing in the merge
Event isn't missing, it can't work the way it was in MM6. Can be rewritten with MMExtension functions but someone has to provide proper volcano sound wav file. ;)
hi,
i installed mm6 on my old pc, to see what would happen sound- and graphics-wise.
there is no sound (and i havent found a soundfile in the archives using mmarchive to browse) - there probably never was - anyone can confirm that there was only animations?

ive got no idea if a external wav file from maybe a real vulcano eruption also would work :hoo:

best regards
justl
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 10 Aug 2023, 21:06

joanthedark wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 04:39
Rodril wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 22:39 I've updated patch link, it contains fixes for lords of Water and Earth not appearing in their prison chambers, and fix for Divine Transcendence potion. Thanks for provided save files.
Thank you for the continuous fixes Rodril! Much appreciated.

I was wondering: Is there a way (through console command or editing the lua files) to force the strongest variation of enemies to appear/spawn exclusively on every map before you visit it? For example: New Sorpigal having only Goblin Kings (red) and Mages (blue), would be cool for a challenge run.
Thank you from me & my brother as well!

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 10 Aug 2023, 21:14

Lurdur wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 12:36 On another save, found another issue. The Faerie King has not promoted my Archer to Hunter after meeting him (whilst also having Kerrid's Letter).
The Faerie King promotes Rangers :D
For Archers you need to go to Snick or whatever he's called, in Avlee, you're already close to his house

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 11 Aug 2023, 06:39

justl wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 20:39
justl wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 16:44 New Sorpigal Main map: In vanilla mm6 the vulcano would errupt, when you touched the buoy near it -> event is missing in the merge
Event isn't missing, it can't work the way it was in MM6. Can be rewritten with MMExtension functions but someone has to provide proper volcano sound wav file. ;)
there is no sound (and i havent found a soundfile in the archives using mmarchive to browse) - there probably never was - anyone can confirm that there was only animations?
NWC used placeholder ("pending" in Sounds.txt) in event.
ive got no idea if a external wav file from maybe a real vulcano eruption also would work :hoo:
This is what we need. I haven't found any other useful sound in lods of all three games (though I could be wrong easily).

Lurdur
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lurdur » 11 Aug 2023, 07:44

eilacomeva wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 21:14
Lurdur wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 12:36 On another save, found another issue. The Faerie King has not promoted my Archer to Hunter after meeting him (whilst also having Kerrid's Letter).
The Faerie King promotes Rangers :D
For Archers you need to go to Snick or whatever he's called, in Avlee, you're already close to his house
Oh piddle poddle, I meant Ranger, but Mike's RPG Center says Archer so I trusted internet man over my own memory. My Ranger has been promoted, the quest is gone from my journal, but Ebednezer Sower's dialogue hasn't changed, still asking if I've been foxed by the Faeries. So really not a huge issue at all, just confused me (which is honestly a little too easy to do).

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 11 Aug 2023, 12:59

cthscr wrote: 11 Aug 2023, 06:39
justl wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 20:39
NWC used placeholder ("pending" in Sounds.txt) in event.
This is what we need. I haven't found any other useful sound in lods of all three games (though I could be wrong easily).
hi,
what about the usage of the armageddon-spell-sound file?
with its deep rumble it would be perfect for that - and we already have it in stock for use

best regards
justl
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 13 Aug 2023, 01:24

Rodril wrote:
Macros the Black wrote: Unconscious characters also do not wake up automatically when regeneration puts them in positive hit points. You have to use a potion or healing spell, or rest.
Checked it briefly, could not reproduce yet. Will keep in mind to look further.
This isn't happening anymore, don't know what triggered it either.

Btw, Robert the Wise dropped two control cubes. (and he should really be made immune to Mass Distortion! :creative: )
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Scoopser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Scoopser » 13 Aug 2023, 08:02

Scoopser wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 18:56
joanthedark wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 17:51
Scoopser wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 16:15 Anyone have any ideas?
Looks like you've already exhausted most of the things you could try, but reading your post I only see mention software wise and not hardware, so it is worth a try testing with a different keyboard and see if the issue persists, because if it's also happening to you in vanilla MM8 sometimes that would seem to be a worthy thing to try.
It seems to be tied with the F5, F6, F7 and F8 keys hotkeys for the additional quick casting in the Extra Settings menu. Also, did a new fresh install with just base GOG installer, and it works normally there, so guess I just mixed up the results from the many uninstall-and-clean-install attempts and tries.

Also, it seems to only affect the attack, quick cast, inventory, jump and turned based fight actions (no matter what keys they are mapped to, currently I have them mapped as to the WASD setup from GreyFace's mouse look settings). Pressing F5 though F8 once consecutively removes the issue for some time. Also, the F-keys act as attack buttons whether they are mapped or not in the Extra Settings menu.

[EDIT: If it means anything, I'm running on 64-bit W11 and have compat. settings for MM8.exe and MM8Settings.exe set to XP Service Pack 3, but have experimented with setting it to XP SP2, W95 and W7 as well with the same results. Have the overwritten the files from the latest patch from 6 August.]
I believe I've found the culprit; Radeon Chill settings in AMD Adrenalin. It's (as I guess most of you with AMD cards know) a dynamic FPS limiter to save power and minimize heat, based on how much "action" is on-screen. It was set to 37 min FPS and 88 max FPS (my standard global setting due to my monitor's FreeSync/G-sync range). This appears to confuse the game regards to keyboard input (as the FPS is fluctuating and not a known constant?) and is of course not optimised for such an old game. Turning it off, even while the game is running, removes the issue instantly. It does however make the GPU use somewhat unnecessary power, but setting the range to fixed 60 FPS seems to work so far (and if not, turnig it off always works).

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 13 Aug 2023, 15:13

Arch-vile wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 07:00 @Rodril
These quests achievements belong in the Awards.txt file. Is it possible to move them there so that they appear in the game under the "Awards" button?
Newest mmext allows addition of extra awards, it should be possible, but i can not say when it will be done.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 13 Aug 2023, 19:28

Hey, so I've noticed that you can make troll peasants the Troll class by visiting a Regeneration trainer, but I haven't found a trainer yet for making Minotaur peasants the Minotaur class. Axe is still unused, axe trainers have no extra dialogue.

Also, thanks for mentioning the secrets, I never knew there was a chest buried beneath flowers in Garotte Gorge! Amazing. 23 years of playing the game and I didn't know that lol

Lurdur
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lurdur » 14 Aug 2023, 21:44

Apologies if this has already been stated, I cannot fathom out how to search in this specific thread as opposed to the whole forum, but I have been able to complete both the Good (Arch Druid) and the Evil (Warlock) second promotion for Great Druid whilst siding with Good.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 15 Aug 2023, 03:30

toadking wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 02:12
Rodril wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 22:39 I've updated patch link, it contains fixes for lords of Water and Earth not appearing in their prison chambers, and fix for Divine Transcendence potion. Thanks for provided save files.
The issue of who benefits from drinking "Divine Transcendence" has been fixed after applied the patch :) , and another factor is that there is no limit to the duration of the effect, which is much greater than 30 minutes multiplied by the power of the potion(eg. power=1, duration of effect > 2 days).
This way can be a temporary workaround to control the expire time of "Divine Transcendence", in ExtraPotions.lua:

Code: Select all

vars.vDTPosition = vars.vDTPosition or {}  ---Add, table format: rosterID1, drinkingTime1,osterID2, drinkingTime2,...
local function GetPartyId(Player)
	for i, v in Party do
		if v['?ptr'] == Player['?ptr'] then
			return i
		end
	end
	return -1  -------------------------Add, return -1 means the NPC isn't in party
end

-- Add the following function to check the member's expire time who drunk the potion, if member fired, expire time will be 0
function vCheckDTPotion()
	local vi
	local vTarget,vDTime
	for vi = #vars.vDTPosition,1,-2 do
		vDTime = vars.vDTPosition[vi]
		vTarget = Party.PlayersArray[vars.vDTPosition[vi-1]]
		if (Game.Time >= vDTime) or (GetPartyId(vTarget) < 0)  then
			vTarget.LevelBonus = 0
			table.remove(vars.vDTPosition,vi) 
			table.remove(vars.vDTPosition,vi - 1)
		end	
	end
	if #vars.vDTPosition == 0 then
		RemoveTimer(vCheckDTPotion)
	end	
end	

evt.PotionEffects[62] = function(IsDrunk, Target, Power)
	if IsDrunk then
		if (Target.LevelBonus < 10) then		-----------Add, if level Bonus >10, the potion will be useless in order to avoid the bonus too high	 
			local PlayerId = GetPartyId(Target)			
			evt[PlayerId].Add{"LevelBonus", 20}			
			table.insert(vars.vDTPosition,GetPlayerId(Target))      ------------------Add, insert the RosterID to tables 
			table.insert(vars.vDTPosition,Game.Time + Power*const.Minute*30)  --------------Add, insert the expire time to tables
			Timer(vCheckDTPotion, const.Minute*30)
		end	
	end
end
I found that many codes have called the CastSpellDirect function, most of which have three parameters(SpellId, Skill, Master), "Caster" will be given a value "49" if it's omitted. Sometimes if this NPC with rosterId=49's SP is'n't enough, it may cause CastSpellDirect to fail. Maybe adding one line can avoid this problem:

Code: Select all

function CastSpellDirect(SpellId, Skill, Mastery, Caster, Target, Flags)
		mem.u2[0x51d820] = SpellId
		mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 49 -- Caster - rosterId
		mem.u2[0x51d824] = Target or 49 -- Target - rosterId
		mem.u2[0x51d828] = Flags or 1
		mem.u2[0x51d82a] = JoinSkill(Skill or 1, Mastery or 0)
		Party.PlayersArray[49].SP = 500    ----------------Add New line
	end
The above two are temporary solutions for reference only, if you could give some advice, that would be very grateful.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 15 Aug 2023, 15:52

Lurdur wrote: 14 Aug 2023, 21:44 Apologies if this has already been stated, I cannot fathom out how to search in this specific thread as opposed to the whole forum, but I have been able to complete both the Good (Arch Druid) and the Evil (Warlock) second promotion for Great Druid whilst siding with Good.
That's an exception, you can do the Warlock quest in mm7 now, as that gives you an extra dragon NPC.

Arch-vile
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arch-vile » 15 Aug 2023, 17:14

@Rodril
If I don't kick all the NPCs out of the party (except Runaway Chaos), the last screen (MM8_Win.Pcx) is left with an ugly icon.

https://ibb.co/JdQHJtf

https://ibb.co/j8Ptrn7

save:
https://uloz.to/file/ZBjvKna6x6fO/save000-zip

Lurdur
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lurdur » 16 Aug 2023, 20:47

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has answered this newbie's posts.

Another thing I have noticed is a disparity between the first tier reagents between the games. When eaten 6 Widoweeps Berries and 7 Widowsweep Berries give 1 food, 8 Widowsweep Berries heal a small amount of HP. 6 & 7 Phirna Root "cannot be used that way", 8 Phima Root heals a small amount of SP. 6 & 7 Poppysnaps also "cannot be used that way", 8 Poppy Pods poison the character. 6 are also classified as Herbs instead of Reagents. Would it be possible to standaradise these differences? Would it also be possible to shift the "you find 1 food" to eating the two (grey/catalyst) mushrooms instead?

edit: Plus, possibility of stopping the ability to use a Harden Item potion on an already hardened item?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 19 Aug 2023, 18:05

Lurdur wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 20:47 Firstly, thank you to everyone who has answered this newbie's posts.

Another thing I have noticed is a disparity between the first tier reagents between the games. When eaten 6 Widoweeps Berries and 7 Widowsweep Berries give 1 food, 8 Widowsweep Berries heal a small amount of HP. 6 & 7 Phirna Root "cannot be used that way", 8 Phima Root heals a small amount of SP. 6 & 7 Poppysnaps also "cannot be used that way", 8 Poppy Pods poison the character. 6 are also classified as Herbs instead of Reagents. Would it be possible to standaradise these differences? Would it also be possible to shift the "you find 1 food" to eating the two (grey/catalyst) mushrooms instead?

edit: Plus, possibility of stopping the ability to use a Harden Item potion on an already hardened item?
These are all very good suggestions and I definitely second them all

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 20 Aug 2023, 03:14

My Lich cannot carry more items in her inventory even though it's not full. It's like there is a maximum number of items she can carry somehow? Because if I move an item out of her inventory, then she can carry another one. I can even give one of her equipped items to another character and it will free up space for another item. The size of the items doesn't matter either, as long as they fit in the inventory.

I would have tried to dismiss her and rehire, but she's the main character.

I don't know what triggered this issue or how to fix it. I remember seeing it before but I think it fixed itself at some point.

Return to “Might and Magic”