Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
eerookah
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby eerookah » 11 Jul 2023, 05:57

I'm having an odd problem right now - I have a character with GM Dark Magic (Master Necro) and still cannot learn any Dark spells. I intentionally trained it up to see if it was just a bug with Basic skill but it seems like everything is messed up. Has anyone encountered this?

_Morgoth_
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby _Morgoth_ » 11 Jul 2023, 09:48

BMJedi wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 19:04 The Merge includes the patch in its files. You don't need to install a second copy of the patch, assuming we're talking about the Grayface patch. That's your issue, if you're installing the patch on top of a Merge install.
if i do a clean install and just move the files from the zipfile to the install directionary i get the same problem...

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 11 Jul 2023, 10:49

_Morgoth_ wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 09:48
BMJedi wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 19:04 The Merge includes the patch in its files. You don't need to install a second copy of the patch, assuming we're talking about the Grayface patch. That's your issue, if you're installing the patch on top of a Merge install.
if i do a clean install and just move the files from the zipfile to the install directionary i get the same problem...
What were the exact steps you performed to install?
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

_Morgoth_
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby _Morgoth_ » 11 Jul 2023, 11:36

clean install (setup_mm8_2.0.0.13) than move contents from (MM678_Merged_2022_08_30_nomedia) to install DIR and overwrite

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 13 Jul 2023, 20:30

Another bug report:
Stalt-laced Ore can still get you artifacts/relics at ore traders. Needless to say, these shouldn't be obtainable in this way, as it breaks immersion. This bug may be due to enabling some sort of flag that makes the artifact/relic pool accessible, and it should be switched off.

Also, I've mentioned this before, but I think we could really use a "become Troll" option for Troll peasants, much like you can get other trainers to turn your peasants into other classes. I think the trainers to do it should be Regeneration trainers. Likewise, we don't have an option for Minotaurs to follow the bespoke Minotaur class, and there's an opening with Axe trainers who don't offer peasants to turn into any class. Rangers are already covered by Id Monster, so there would be no overlap. Tl;dr:
Mino - Axe trainers
Troll - Regeneration trainers

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 13 Jul 2023, 20:38

Caligula Wellington wrote: 25 Jun 2023, 08:44 Nice work with the list. Haven't read everything yet. I think calling the 2-h swords from mm6 Claymore and Flamberge fits great. But I think Sabre would be a better name for the Long Cutlass though, as it is in fact designed as a sabre. I would also suggest naming the mm6 Regnan Cutlass to Regnan Scimitar, as it is too big to be a cutlass, and there are more Regnan Cutlasses around. I'm a weapons nerd, so I would be happy to brainstorm, or to work with you on this. :)
Hey, yeah, interesting suggestions. I tried to do the minimal amount of changes required, though, so I only changed the names of the items where they would overlap with something else (due to being too generic or via coincidence). This was often the case between MM6 and MM7, the devs for some reason left in tons upon tons of reused item names or flavor text. Took me a while to pin down all of it, but eventually I was able to.
Another idea I had is to make the mm6 plate armours having better stats, and lower for the mm8 plates. And it's simply because how much they cover, and because how they are designed from a functional perspective. Not sure if you've done this already or not. But as mentioned before, I'd love to contribute if you need a sidekick to work with. ^^
In general I've tiered the plate armors according to 2 criteria: how they look and where they originally stood in terms of defense. MM6 and 7 were super unbalanced in that regard, with the lowest tier plates starting out at 20 and the next best ones being only 28. I've upgraded these 2nd tier plates from mm6 and mm7 significantly. But I've also taken into account the 2nd criterion, that being the armor values - in mm6 and 7 the best plate type has 54 defense, while in mm8 the fifth tier plate has 58 - so despite it not covering the entire body, I had to make it the top plate. But the best mm6 and 7 plates are right below it, so they overtake the Dark Knight Plate from mm8 (as they did in the originals: 54 armor vs 50). The 2nd tier plates were upgraded from 28 to 42 or thereabouts, so they're much better now, in line with their look.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 14 Jul 2023, 14:26

_Morgoth_ wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 11:36 clean install (setup_mm8_2.0.0.13) than move contents from (MM678_Merged_2022_08_30_nomedia) to install DIR and overwrite
Is your game installed in C:\Program Files (or its x86 version)? If so, move it out of here. Did you set mm8.exe and mm8setup.exe compatibility to windows XP SP2? If not, set it. What merge branch did you use? (If you don't know what that means, you've not used any)

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 14 Jul 2023, 14:29

eerookah wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 05:57 I'm having an odd problem right now - I have a character with GM Dark Magic (Master Necro) and still cannot learn any Dark spells. I intentionally trained it up to see if it was just a bug with Basic skill but it seems like everything is messed up. Has anyone encountered this?
How did you install Merge? Also answer the questions in this post.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 14 Jul 2023, 14:36

_Morgoth_ wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 11:36 clean install (setup_mm8_2.0.0.13) than move contents from (MM678_Merged_2022_08_30_nomedia) to install DIR and overwrite
You don't mention that you installed the Media Pack after installing Merged 2022-08-30 No media. That version will not work without the Media Pack being installed as a second step after installing the Merge files.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

_Morgoth_
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby _Morgoth_ » 14 Jul 2023, 15:08

wat is a merge?? how do i do it??

this is the install DIR
"N:\GOG Games\Might and Magic VIII - Day of the Destroyer\"

not sure if i did set it to win xp thingy but basisc game works fine until i install the mod.. and it worked fine til i installed the mod...

this wat is said on the first post
"How to install:
1. Install GOG version of Might and Magic VIII.
2. Copy mod files into MM8 folder, replacing existing."

thats litterly what i did....

_Morgoth_
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby _Morgoth_ » 14 Jul 2023, 15:17

so i did just a clean install again..
setup_mm8_2.0.0.13 (set to Windows xp service pack 2 )
install DIR "N:\GOG Games\Might and Magic VIII - Day of the Destroyer\"
moved FIlles from (MM678_Merged_2022_02_15) to Install DIR
overwrite all
Set Might and Magic VIII - Day of the Destroyer to Windows xp service pack 2

launch game. get this as resualt...

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 14 Jul 2023, 17:28

I was messing around with the race skills file to see what could be done to make it a bit more balanced and noticed a strange issue.

It seems that you can make it so a race gets just a skill minimum, instead of a bonus on top of the class skills. If you give the Vampire race E/0/0 instead of E/2/0 for Regeneration for instance, then a Vampire (race) Knight will get expert regeneration, but a Vampire (race and class) will just get E/M Regeneration as normal. So far, that's all very good. But if you give the Vampire race M/0/0 Regeneration, then suddenly a Vampire (race and class) can get M/GM in the skill. It seems that the Nosferatu promotion is getting a +1 on top of the racial skill, because the Nosferatu can learn the skill a rank higher than the Vampire?

But maybe I'm confused on what exactly is happening there. Basically what I was trying to do was give Vampires a Regeneration skill minimum potential of Master rank, so that Vampire races with another class can have Regeneration, but a pure Vampire still won't get GM Regeneration. I will probably stick with just giving the Vampire race E/0/0 for myself because that actually works and is probably a bit more balanced anyway, but just wanted to point this out still.

Btw it would be nice if we could give a race a penalty to a skill as well. Like giving Zombies a penalty to learning, for instance. So they can learn one (or more) rank(s) less of it than other characters of the same class.
Last edited by Macros the Black on 15 Jul 2023, 00:44, edited 2 times in total.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 14 Jul 2023, 19:14

_Morgoth_ wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 15:08 wat is a merge?? how do i do it??

this is the install DIR
"N:\GOG Games\Might and Magic VIII - Day of the Destroyer\"

not sure if i did set it to win xp thingy but basisc game works fine until i install the mod.. and it worked fine til i installed the mod...

this wat is said on the first post
"How to install:
1. Install GOG version of Might and Magic VIII.
2. Copy mod files into MM8 folder, replacing existing."

thats litterly what i did....
You installed previously 2022-08-30 version, which has its own installation instructions (read the whole post where you got download link). However, since you now installed 2022-02-15, instructions from first post do indeed apply.
_Morgoth_ wrote: so i did just a clean install again..
setup_mm8_2.0.0.13 (set to Windows xp service pack 2 )
install DIR "N:\GOG Games\Might and Magic VIII - Day of the Destroyer\"
moved FIlles from (MM678_Merged_2022_02_15) to Install DIR
overwrite all
Set Might and Magic VIII - Day of the Destroyer to Windows xp service pack 2

launch game. get this as resualt...
This seems to be one known bug, which has no permanent solution until Merge is updated. For now, as a workaround, just launch the game again to fix it, up to several times.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 16 Jul 2023, 19:14

I present you the Orlock's work - he redrew female sprites and it looks pretty neat! Here's some bmp examples:
The mod is in development, so you can download only .bmp files.
Other images see in the link below (telegram)
https://t.me/+bk9_4TxFof4zNTQy

For those, who experiencing troubles in game installation, can download ready-to-go version of game from the link in my signature

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 17 Jul 2023, 17:19

The new armor looks beautiful!

wraithwon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wraithwon » 18 Jul 2023, 16:06

Really love this mod/merge! Thanks to everyone who's worked on it

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 19 Jul 2023, 12:55

Adventurer's Inn behaviors

Hey, folks;
I wonder if these behaviors could ever be updated in the future, because the logic they follow are not particularly coherent with Time Travel Heros' Story.

Each world/Continent has its own Adventurer's Inn 'reality'. This means that, for instance, Recruited Characters which are Dismissed from the Party, will find their way to the Adventurer's Inn, but ONLY to the one on the Continent they were at the instant of Dismissal.

But there also exist 'warping' Recruits. These are the MM8 Recruits that we do not allow in our Party when we meet them but that would go straight to the Adventurer's Inn and we never Recruit them from that Adventurer's Inn. What happen is that, until they are Recruited to the Party, they'll keep 'warping' between Continents (though they'll start behaving as the 'normal' Recruits of the first case, if we then Dismiss them in a particular Continent).

I am not sure about the behavior of the Recruits which start the game already in the Adventurer's Inn though; would need to check.

Conceptually, I think it would be cooler if the Adventurer's Inn was equal on every Continent. So: every Recruit would have a 'warping' behavior, just like the main Party when Time Travelling. What is weird, though, is to have two behaviors going on for Recruits.

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts?

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 19 Jul 2023, 14:57

Maslyonok wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 19:14 I present you the Orlock's work - he redrew female sprites and it looks pretty neat! Here's some bmp examples:
One of the most beautiful redrawns I've seen, hopefully Rodril applies them to the Merge as it makes the game more complete.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 19 Jul 2023, 18:01

joanthedark wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 14:57
Maslyonok wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 19:14 I present you the Orlock's work - he redrew female sprites and it looks pretty neat! Here's some bmp examples:
One of the most beautiful redrawns I've seen, hopefully Rodril applies them to the Merge as it makes the game more complete.
hear hear! They look amazing.
Kinox wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 12:55 Adventurer's Inn behaviors

Hey, folks;
I wonder if these behaviors could ever be updated in the future, because the logic they follow are not particularly coherent with Time Travel Heros' Story.

Each world/Continent has its own Adventurer's Inn 'reality'. This means that, for instance, Recruited Characters which are Dismissed from the Party, will find their way to the Adventurer's Inn, but ONLY to the one on the Continent they were at the instant of Dismissal.

But there also exist 'warping' Recruits. These are the MM8 Recruits that we do not allow in our Party when we meet them but that would go straight to the Adventurer's Inn and we never Recruit them from that Adventurer's Inn. What happen is that, until they are Recruited to the Party, they'll keep 'warping' between Continents (though they'll start behaving as the 'normal' Recruits of the first case, if we then Dismiss them in a particular Continent).

I am not sure about the behavior of the Recruits which start the game already in the Adventurer's Inn though; would need to check.

Conceptually, I think it would be cooler if the Adventurer's Inn was equal on every Continent. So: every Recruit would have a 'warping' behavior, just like the main Party when Time Travelling. What is weird, though, is to have two behaviors going on for Recruits.

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts?
I agree that it should be standardized. One Adventurer's Inn that you can access from any continent. Does it make sense? No, not really. But it would be a lot more convenient and that's more important imo.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Kryonic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kryonic » 19 Jul 2023, 22:41

Hey everyone!

It's that time of the year and I'm diving back into anniversary MMErge playthrough.

Installed the game by this latest "guide" I found
Hello. I've done Revamp installation myself, i believe this is the order you need to follow:
1. Install GOG version of MM8.
2. Unpack this there, replacing existing files: https://mega.nz/file/m2ghUC4K#4WJpg4JgN ... kSs11_UMi4
3. Unpack this there, replacing existing files: https://mega.nz/file/yjIkERYJ#YxLeD7s-c ... d_FdwSw08I
4. Delete Scripts folder from the game folder.
5. Download and unpack content of this archive into game folder, replacing existing files: https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/arc ... master.zip
Be sure, at step 5, you copying content of mmmerge-master folder from archive and actually replacing stuff.
Started in Antagarich and I'm having a couple of issues/open questions.

1. I've done a bunch of promotion quests, but my Knight, Monk and Cleric seem to not have been actually promoted? Cleric definitely can't learn Master Spirit (with the teacher saying something like "you need to be a Priest for that), though I've definitely given the map to the guy in Deja and he waits for me to choose the path. No dialogues to promote my guys too. Is this fixable somehow otherwise than using CE to set the right class id?
2. Golem quest. Oh, it's always that one. However instead of being unable to find and press the followers icon, the golem is not actually present there. So this means I can't actually build it, get my Wizard promotion and start to actually fly. Is something broken on my side? Can I try to fix that with console?
3. Even if #2 would be fixed, there's a chance my Sorcerer won't be actually promoted to Wizard as per #1. So there's a bunch of anxiety here too.

Hoping you guys can help.
Savefile can be found here in case this can help:

And disregard my party names, I suck at naming AND it was like 38 degrees celsium outside, brain stops working :D

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Might and Magic”