Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Karol
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

Unread postby Karol » 29 Nov 2023, 08:05

I am not using localization, but I would basically do the exact same as you: rename
RU_NPCNews.txt
into
NPCNews.txt
first, before editing .lod, just to check if the build is not omitting the localised text files by mistake
And then try new reinstall, as many people use localized content, and it seems to work well.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 30 Nov 2023, 01:16

Hi, guys, when entering a new blv map, the following errors may occasionally occur, but they do not affect subsequent operations:

Code: Select all

D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts\Global\ExtraArtifacts.lua:95: attempt to index global 'Item' (a nil value)

stack traceback:
	D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts\Global\ExtraArtifacts.lua: in function 'v'
	D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:101: in function <D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:96>

arguments of 'v':
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x21eee760)

local variables of 'v':
	(*temporary) = 1305
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x17292928)
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x21813c30)
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x172870b0)
	(*temporary) = nil
	(*temporary) = 75
	(*temporary) = 24
	(*temporary) = 96
	(*temporary) = "attempt to index global 'Item' (a nil value)"

upvalues of 'v':
	GItems = (table: 0x05599600)
	GetNotFoundArts = (function: 0x267c96e0)
	random = (function: builtin#63)
	Log = (function: 0x0509dea8)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It would be even better if it could be avoided.(my Mod:Master branch 2023.11.15)

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 30 Nov 2023, 11:46

toadking wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 01:16 Hi, guys, when entering a new blv map, the following errors may occasionally occur, but they do not affect subsequent operations:
I suspect they do. Should be fixed now.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 01 Dec 2023, 03:17

cthscr wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 11:46
toadking wrote: 30 Nov 2023, 01:16 Hi, guys, when entering a new blv map, the following errors may occasionally occur, but they do not affect subsequent operations:
I suspect they do. Should be fixed now.
Thanks for your reply,Much appreciated.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 01 Dec 2023, 09:02

Sorry to bother you again. In today's test, I found 2 cases as follows:
1."Regenerate Hit points over time" Both in "of The Phoenix" and "of The Troll" are not working.
2.NPC with Roster ID =49 become a recruited team member, maybe this shouldn't have happened.
thank you for your help and advice.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 01 Dec 2023, 12:58

toadking wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 09:02 Sorry to bother you again. In today's test, I found 2 cases as follows:
1."Regenerate Hit points over time" Both in "of The Phoenix" and "of The Troll" are not working.
2.NPC with Roster ID =49 become a recruited team member, maybe this shouldn't have happened.
1. Both work and give +1 non-stacking hp regen as in vanilla MM8. (Note: if you changed Bonus2 of equipped item, it won't apply without taking it off.)
2. Might be a problem in Base Merge, shouldn't cause anything in Revamp.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 01 Dec 2023, 13:53

cthscr wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 12:58
toadking wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 09:02 Sorry to bother you again. In today's test, I found 2 cases as follows:
1. Both work and give +1 non-stacking hp regen as in vanilla MM8. (Note: if you changed Bonus2 of equipped item, it won't apply without taking it off.)
2. Might be a problem in Base Merge, shouldn't cause anything in Revamp.
I don't know if they are special cases, the detailed description of the problem I encountered is as follows:
1.Let a team member only wear two equipments, one that increases SP over time and the other's name add was "of The Troll"(+HP overtime and +15 endurance), but only the SP value increases and HP remains the same.Then I replaced the "of The Troll" equipment with another one that name add was "of The Phoenix"(+HP overtime and +30 Fire Resistance), and there was no change in HP too.By the way, all these equipments were obtained from bodies of dragon.
2. Once, I recruited a team member from a map, who was a knight, but every time I used a non-combat NPC skill, the team member's magic was full(his SP value is 1000). Later, when I used the following command to export the ID, I found that his ID was 49:

Code: Select all

for i=0,Party.Count-1 do
print(Party.PlayersIndexes[i])
end
Mayby NPC with the Roster ID=49 shouldn't appear in NPC recruitment selection, is it right?
PS:my Mod:Master branch 2023.11.15

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 01 Dec 2023, 18:32

toadking wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 13:53 2. Once, I recruited a team member from a map, who was a knight, but every time I used a non-combat NPC skill, the team member's magic was full(his SP value is 1000). Later, when I used the following command to export the ID, I found that his ID was 49:
Rodril has listened to our previous talks and added a few hacks for player 49 in HardcodedTopicFunctions.lua. Disabled now. (I kinda have a suspicion that one can recruit him in Base Merge as well.)
I don't know if they are special cases, the detailed description of the problem I encountered is as follows:
1.Let a team member only wear two equipments, one that increases SP over time and the other's name add was "of The Troll"(+HP overtime and +15 endurance), but only the SP value increases and HP remains the same.Then I replaced the "of The Troll" equipment with another one that name add was "of The Phoenix"(+HP overtime and +30 Fire Resistance), and there was no change in HP too.By the way, all these equipments were obtained from bodies of dragon.
A combination of SP-regen item (of the Eclipse) and HP-regen item (of The Troll) still works for me. If your combination doesn't work after game (mm8.exe) restart - please provide a savegame. If it works - I suspect a reason might be unsafe table keys.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 01 Dec 2023, 23:59

cthscr wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 18:32
toadking wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 13:53 2. Once, I recruited a team member from a map, who was a knight, but every time I used a non-combat NPC skill, the team member's magic was full(his SP value is 1000). Later, when I used the following command to export the ID, I found that his ID was 49:
Rodril has listened to our previous talks and added a few hacks for player 49 in HardcodedTopicFunctions.lua. Disabled now. (I kinda have a suspicion that one can recruit him in Base Merge as well.)
A combination of SP-regen item (of the Eclipse) and HP-regen item (of The Troll) still works for me. If your combination doesn't work after game (mm8.exe) restart - please provide a savegame. If it works - I suspect a reason might be unsafe table keys.
1. This issue is quite strange. I downloaded the patch you just released (2023.12.01) and restarted a new game. After trying multiple times, I found that items with the attribute both "of The Troll" and "of The Phoenix", some can increase HP over time, but others cannot, such as blow two shields:
a.Alloyed Shield of The Phoenix: no effect
b.Eldritch Shield of The Phoenix: Works Normal
Here is my game save file: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1z1rNSAooC2bdjU ... g?pwd=yqkt (If a code is needed, please input "yqkt")
I have saved it with the pormpt "RegHPIssue2Men".
In addition, in my game save "RegHPIssue4Men"(copied from old version), all four team members are wearing equipment that increases HP over time, but only the last one is effective.

2. Due to the default value of 49 for both caster is null and target is null, perhaps these hacks are still useful and necessary. And for this reason, this NPC ID=49 has become quite unique, maybe we just need to hide him and prevent players from recruiting him.
I reported this case was in my game save "RegHPIssue4Men", an undead Minotaur's knight, stay in Adventure's Inn at Free Haven, his ID=49.

The above information is for your reference, thank you again for your guidance and great help.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 02 Dec 2023, 12:03

toadking wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 23:59 1. This issue is quite strange. I downloaded the patch you just released (2023.12.01) and restarted a new game. After trying multiple times, I found that items with the attribute both "of The Troll" and "of The Phoenix", some can increase HP over time, but others cannot, such as blow two shields:
a.Alloyed Shield of The Phoenix: no effect
b.Eldritch Shield of The Phoenix: Works Normal
Here is my game save file: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1z1rNSAooC2bdjU ... g?pwd=yqkt (If a code is needed, please input "yqkt")
I have saved it with the pormpt "RegHPIssue2Men".
In addition, in my game save "RegHPIssue4Men"(copied from old version), all four team members are wearing equipment that increases HP over time, but only the last one is effective.
Not being able to download savegame, but provided info was enough. Regular spcbonuses for item with id > 151 in mm8.exe will not be taken into account (only 3 artifacts will be checked). So adding these 3 artifacts to ExtraArtifacts.lua (actually 2 because one was there already) and removing border was easiest solution. Side effect: spcbonuses of wands etc. will have an effect now.
2. Due to the default value of 49 for both caster is null and target is null, perhaps these hacks are still useful and necessary. And for this reason, this NPC ID=49 has become quite unique, maybe we just need to hide him and prevent players from recruiting him.
I reported this case was in my game save "RegHPIssue4Men", an undead Minotaur's knight, stay in Adventure's Inn at Free Haven, his ID=49.
It would be a useless waste of roster slot. How it was done in vanilla mm8 for temples (used in Merge as well): caster - current player, flags - 0x30 (0x20 means event casted spell - no sp cost and no recovery, 0x10 means caster is a target). Current default flags are 0x8020 (where 0x8000 means special processing - here we ignore aging, fly 5-min cost, etc.) So for Revamp proper thing would be to change default caster and function calls where it's needed. Note that target 49 is a wrong thing itself - should be party slot rather than roster index.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 02 Dec 2023, 12:30

Thank you for your prompt response and explanation, I have learned a lot more. I just downloaded the latest mmmerge-master.zip(today released), and it seems that the invalid items I found in case 1 with the attribute "of The Troll" and "of The Phoenix" are already working, the side effect has not been encountered yet, it would be even more perfect if it could be resolved later. Also, after your explanation, I'm clearly on case 2,thank you again.

Karol
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Karol » 05 Dec 2023, 07:50

Le Crazy idea:

As we can travel between words, but usually get all skills to GM in first world, the other two worlds become blend, due the missing "chasing teachers and promotions"
What if:
- Promotions would add extra points to HP/SP per level (like if a class is already maxed, and has for example 6 HP / level, so in the other world, this would be increased to 7 after 1st promotion, and 8 after 2nd promotion. And in the 3rd world again by +1 and +1 per each promotion - nothing wrong to have extra HP & SP, most importantly making promotions will feel a lot motivational).
And maybe also some free un-allocated skill points?

- skills teachers would grant extra Skill Point(s) to respective skill. Depending on the class restriction.
A) Expert +1
B) Master +2
C) GM +3

Even if we consider this doubled (on each world, apart from starting world), some skills would get +6, which is not game breaking, IMO.
And if someone changes worlds early (without having all skills maxed from training perspective), he would simply miss out the extra points, depending when (in which world) he will get maxed training (GM).

Yet, running around and knocking on peasants homes, looking for trainers, will be still important, no matter how many times one changed the world. Same with promotions, that apart getting some honorary meaning, will grant actual in-game bonuses.

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 05 Dec 2023, 13:45

one idea I was toying with was making a doorway randomizer, which changes what entrances lead where (since very few overland maps are outright gated by story progression, instead of writing a complex logic system you'd just exclude certain overland maps from the randomization) - so you might walk into the New Sorpigal Abandoned Temple and find yourself talking to Eldrich Parson of the Tularean Forest, or go to the Druid Circle in Murmurwoods only to find it now leads to the High Council of Enroth, etc.

Main obstacle stopping me is I'd have to compile a list of valid locations for shuffling first, since I'd want to exclude Sweet Water/Emerald Island/Celeste/The Pit/The Shoals/Regna/Plane-Between-Planes/that overland map that gets added to MMMerge and all their associated doors, after that the biggest obstacle is writing the randomization engine so that it only fires on newgame and not on program start (this is an issue I have with the monster randomizer as well)

DurienDaragoth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DurienDaragoth » 05 Dec 2023, 13:56

hello guys
I just finished run again and its great mod. Last update works like charm :) But i found 2 strange things what were ok in previous versions.
In version 5.11.2023 when i finished breach with runaway chaos i got escape table with ,,Null´´ in version 23.7.2023 it was ok.
https://ibb.co/fY4KHLy
And when did i put 50 points to armsmaster so the skill started calculate again from 1. There is some bug with skill cap.
This was ok in 30.08.2022 version with skill cap 60 but in version 23.7.2023 and 5.11.2023 it just acting strange.
https://ibb.co/yXNy2B8
Thx for great work :)
Last edited by DurienDaragoth on 05 Dec 2023, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 05 Dec 2023, 15:52

raekuul wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 13:45 the biggest obstacle is writing the randomization engine so that it only fires on newgame and not on program start (this is an issue I have with the monster randomizer as well)
events.NewGameMap().
In Revamp there is aslo events.NewGame() that is called right after starting continent selection.

Arch-vile
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Arch-vile » 05 Dec 2023, 19:55

Would it be possible to write a script for a simple quest for the Arcomage game in the MM6 section ?

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 06 Dec 2023, 00:30

Hi all, I know that if you start as one of the "Race Classes" from MM8 (Troll, Vamp, Dragon, Mino, Dark Elf etc) you can advance the relevant Race-related Skills (say Regen, Dark Elf ability etc) and then convert to another Class. I started as a Troll Peasant and a Dark Elf Peasant, then converted to Knight and Cleric respectively. Is there any way now to advance the Troll/DE Race Skills? If not, is there a pattern that works to do this when starting as Peasant? Ie trying to max both the Race-related Skills and the Class skills, but when starting as Peasant, looks like this would require two changes in Class: ie from Peasant to Race Class, and then to eventual MM6/7 Class

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 06 Dec 2023, 10:38

Arch-vile wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 19:55 Would it be possible to write a script for a simple quest for the Arcomage game in the MM6 section ?
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: you need tavern win bits (present in Revamp, require small change in StdQuestsFunctions.lua for Base), QBit (there are quite a lot unused in MM6 block [1025-1536]), Autonotes (present in Revamp, vulnerable but possible in Base), possibly Award(s) (present in Revamp), Chest (present in Revamp but no items yet), NPC.

Demran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Demran » 06 Dec 2023, 17:29

DurienDaragoth wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 13:56 hello guys
I just finished run again and its great mod. Last update works like charm :) But i found 2 strange things what were ok in previous versions.
In version 5.11.2023 when i finished breach with runaway chaos i got escape table with ,,Null´´ in version 23.7.2023 it was ok.
https://ibb.co/fY4KHLy
And when did i put 50 points to armsmaster so the skill started calculate again from 1. There is some bug with skill cap.
This was ok in 30.08.2022 version with skill cap 60 but in version 23.7.2023 and 5.11.2023 it just acting strange.
https://ibb.co/yXNy2B8
Thx for great work :)
In most versions I've tested (2 years ago, then on 23.07.2023 version and finally at 05.11.2023 version), Armsmaster and Bow skills are bugged.
The skill cap is 60 like other skills but if you have a +Armsmaster item(s) (same for Bow skill), and the total amount with your Skill + Bonus Skills from items reach 63-64, the skills bonuses reset to 0. (Attack Bonus - Attack Damage etc)

Example: You have +17 Armsmaster Magical Belt / +10 from Wallace Relic Sword / +7 from Terminus Relic Sword / +8 from Fleetfingers Relic Gloves for a total of = +42 Armsmaster skill. They do stack without a problem since they are all Artifacts/Relics and only 1 of them is a magical item.
And you have base Armsmaster skill level at 22.
22+42 = 64 => all the bonuses from Armsmaster resets to 0, and starts from scratch.
Tried with different item combinations, only 1 item bonus at a time and with different skill expertise levels as well, it doesn't matter, it always resets the bonuses.

Same for Bow Skill, Fleetfingers Relic Gloves +8 to Bow skill and/or Longseeker Relic Bow +4 to Bow Skill together or seperately, if the Bow skill is at 60 and the final total reaches 63 or 64 (sometimes 63 sometimes 64 not sure why) the bonuses to attack bonus, damage etc resets to 0.

I believe Rodril said he will look at it on the next patch, but not sure if he meant this problem or if he was talking about something else.
Rodril wrote: 04 Nov 2023, 01:05 Regarding skill issues, errors are caused for less than GM skill levels due to format of data, engine uses to store skills. I did not have opportunity to fix it yet. Next version will still have this bug, unfortunately. Best solution would be to use skill storage rework from Revamp branch, probably I will do it next.
Since then there has been a new version already, so I believe the next patch might fix it.
I've tested same with other skills, Learning / Magic Skills / Alchemy / Disarm Trap / ID Item etc. at different expertise levels, both as Basic / Expert / Master and Grandmaster levels and they do not cause any problems with + Skill items. Only Armsmaster and Bow does on every expertise level as far as I could find.

PS: If I recall correctly Magic Skills had such a reset as well on the previous versions, but it seemed to have been fixed after 23.10.2023 patch or even a patch earlier than that.

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 07 Dec 2023, 01:31

Q1: I know that if you start as one of the "Race Classes" from MM8 (Troll, Vamp, Dragon, Mino, Dark Elf etc) you can advance the relevant Race-related Skills (say Regen, Dark Elf ability etc) and then convert to another Class. Does this work when starting as a Peasant (of that Race)? Ie can you change from Peasant to Race Class, maximise the Race Skills, and then convert to another eventual MM6/7 Class?

Q2: It seems the Genie Lamp schedule has changed form MM6/7 - is there any info on the new schedule, or is it completely random now?

Thanks!
Last edited by Ossie on 08 Dec 2023, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”