MMVII Party?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 25 Dec 2012, 14:43

No crime, but definitely a time limit.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 25 Dec 2012, 17:07

Bandobras Took wrote: but definitely a time limit.
Yeah, both game time and also a painful load of real time too.

I don't care that much about how hard promotion quests are, if I want certain members for a party I choose them. If I want a certain party makeup sometimes druids are the only option for getting town portal and fly. They are also good for extra healing and for alchemy.
For example I've made 2 might based parties where one was all goblins double wielding weapons and the other of all dwarfs each with weapon and shield. In order to still have access to town portal and fly with these teams (the game is painfully time consuming without them) a druid was the only option. For the goblin team, for all members to double wield I chose KTPD, where druid has double daggers. For dwarf team for all members to have weapon and shield, KRCD, where druid has mace and shield. Can't do that with a sorc or archer.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 26 Dec 2012, 05:51

Bones_xa wrote:certain members for a party
Alas, the solo playing is what we yet discussed.
Bones_xa wrote:for alchemy
Do you really mix black and white potions? How often? Isn't it easier to buy them instead?
Do you know that the power of simple potions doesn't depend of mastery in Alchemy, of skill level only? Do you know that power of more complex potion depends of components' power only?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Dec 2012, 08:56

Mixing black potions and buying black potions can get you some really good stats in the end game. Though the point of diminishing returns might kick in at that point.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 26 Dec 2012, 10:53

Just how all that stat increase affect u'r performance I've never really understand.

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 26 Dec 2012, 15:14

BoardGuest808888 wrote:Just how all that stat increase affect u'r performance I've never really understand.
Read the info at this link, it explains a lot of the M&M game mechanics, including how stats effect you.

https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm/mechanics

Mihalidis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mihalidis » 26 Dec 2012, 17:44

tress wrote:
4th could be Ranger
While it have most easy promo quest, I think it has worst design. Only good side is master archery, which on other hand is surpassed by archer due to GM. Sure he can heal(very little), while losing to archer on almost any other point.

Agreed,however chain+shield+axe makes him decent fighter as well..and as for healing..yep..but for major healing i got cleric,ranger is there for healing cleric out of concusions mostly (since most of the time ranger lasts longer then him)
of course ,on paper there are better picks then ranger (monk,archer,thief)
but hes my guilty pleasure...lol

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 27 Dec 2012, 00:37

tolich wrote:Do you really mix black and white potions? How often? Isn't it easier to buy them instead?
Wait, do you not make tons of divine power/divine cure potions? I agree, black tends to be more effort than it is worth, but any group with a sorcerer or druid (solo or otherwise) should have quite a few, especially dark after you go through Clanker's

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 27 Dec 2012, 04:59

I've never felt a particular need for White Potions in my playthroughs, but then I tend to play Might-Heavy with magic for support rather than Magic-Heavy.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 27 Dec 2012, 07:17

That must be the difference. I tend to run heavy caster, and prefer to mash paralyze/shrapmetal. Divine power potions are wonderful inside Colony Zod with all the mana drains.

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 27 Dec 2012, 23:07

tolich wrote:
Bones_xa wrote:for alchemy
Do you really mix black and white potions? How often? Isn't it easier to buy them instead?
I actually do prefer to make them myself over buying them if one of my chars can. I find it more annoying having to buy them all from shops cause you got to keep reloading until they got the ones you want and then wait till the store restocks.
I know its probably better to put stat points in something more useful but if you can get alchemy to grand then why not.
Like all the black stat potions, I have chars drink all of them at once because I find it easier to keep track of who drank what. So whatever I find I'll save until I find all. And as mentioned there are other useful black potions to make besides just stat boost ones.

As for alchemy in general I often prefer to cure ailments and give boosts from potions so I like having alchemy. Its useful in earlier parts of the game if you run out of spell points or if you don't have the cash to buy the books. I usually don't buy cure books anyway because it will just be a matter of time before I find them. Yeah, I know it would be better to just buy the book but I like being surprised when I find certain books and actually being able to use them instead of just selling them. I usually only buy books for spells that the character needs and/or will use much. Like healing and main elemental attacks.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 28 Dec 2012, 00:03

I tend to agree with Bones_xa as I just do not like to bring up mind and spirit magic (really only lose bless and preservation), as my cleric never seems to have enough skill points as the very first thing in the game for me is to get to level 7 in merchant and body.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 28 Dec 2012, 03:43

Not to mention that Spirit Magic's Bless and Heroism get obsoleted by Light Magic later on if you go that road.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 28 Dec 2012, 11:58

Not to mention that Spirit Magic's Bless and Heroism get obsoleted by Light Magic later on if you go that road.
Partially must agree that spirit magic is "so so", specially compared to other 2 schools. But :
1) light magic argument is not valid for dark side play.
2) bless/heroism is vital for 1st part of game when you don't have light magic available.

Other than that yes, - it's damaging spell, while strong is extremely unpractical due to lack of range. Ressurections are generally not that used since people don't die that often on second half of game, or you just load for it. There still is preservation which togather with regeneration but still.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 28 Dec 2012, 14:34

tress wrote:2) bless/heroism is vital for 1st part of game when you don't have light magic available.
There's still not that much point in getting Spirit to any more than Expert when going Light Magic.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 28 Dec 2012, 14:55

There's still not that much point in getting Spirit to any more than Expert when going Light Magic.
Well there's always resurrection spell which can be quite irreplaceable, of course they are not that often needed. Specially if accompanied with save/load (or trying to beat game solo)

Sendoh
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Sendoh » 28 Dec 2012, 17:15

3 thiefs 1 druid, done

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 29 Dec 2012, 17:54

tress wrote:Resurrections are generally not that used since people don't die that often on second half of game, or you just load for it. There still is preservation which together with regeneration but still.
Alas, all these spells are totally useless for solo player.
Bandobras Took wrote:
tress wrote:2) bless/heroism is vital for 1st part of game when you don't have light magic available.
Fate, Turn Undead, Remove Curse, Spirit Lash.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 29 Dec 2012, 20:20

Fate, Turn Undead, Remove Curse, Spirit Lash.
Fate - duration is way too short to be useful.
Turn undead - dont think I ever used it. Although I wont comment on it's efficiency due to that.
Remove curse - useful but not that many mobs curse(while yes, curse is extremely nasty ailment for caster)
Spirit lash - while it have good numbers it must be cast point blank which makes it very inefficient compared to flying fist for example.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 29 Dec 2012, 21:16

And in addition to the above, expert alchemy deals with curse and works even if the person who was cursed is trying to remove it, whereas Remove Curse can fail if the person casting it was the person cursed.

Return to “Might and Magic”