How to Extract heroes maps from site, to the game.

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Za_Blacky
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

How to Extract heroes maps from site, to the game.

Unread postby Za_Blacky » 10 May 2008, 17:11

I was just wondering how one, gets the maps that are being presented on the homepage. Like middle earth. What do i save them to, and then extract from winrar. to where???

any easy way? thanks for the help.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 10 May 2008, 17:57

Well, you extract them to your computer, of course.

Then unzip, and put into your Maps subfolder.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Jay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jay » 16 May 2008, 21:45

What if you try to download the zip file to your desktop, only to find that your H5 map editor won't even recognize them?

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 17 May 2008, 01:23

Did you unzip the file?

What version of HOMM do you have?

For HOMM5 there is HOMM5 original, Heroes of Fate, and Tribes of the East. If you download a Tribes map and only have the HOMM5 original the editor won't recoginize it.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Jay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jay » 20 May 2008, 22:44

I've got HV, HoF and Tribes. I download the zipped file, click to unzip and subsequently get an error message saying that the file's corrupt or the map editor won't recognize the file extension. I can only find the map editor in the UBISoft folder so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to track down an individual editor in each version of the game (which I'd appreciate a tip on since I'm not big on going through dozens of folders and sub-folders). Patch version shouldn't make a difference should it? I've got through 1.6 on HV, 2.1 on HoF and just the installed version of ToE.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 21 May 2008, 03:56

Jay wrote:I've got HV, HoF and Tribes. I download the zipped file, click to unzip and subsequently get an error message saying that the file's corrupt or the map editor won't recognize the file extension. I can only find the map editor in the UBISoft folder so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to track down an individual editor in each version of the game (which I'd appreciate a tip on since I'm not big on going through dozens of folders and sub-folders). Patch version shouldn't make a difference should it? I've got through 1.6 on HV, 2.1 on HoF and just the installed version of ToE.
What are you using to unzip the file? Have you tried downloading the file again in case it got corrupted during the download? It is possible that a file that is posted could be corrupted. Have you tried more than one map?

The HOMM5 original editor is not going to be able to open Tribes maps or HOF maps.

The easy way to start a map editoris to click on the windows start button in the lower left hand corner of your screen ---> All Programs--->Ubisoft--->Tribes (or whatever)--> Map Editor.

That will open the editor appropriate for the version of map you want to look at.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Jay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jay » 02 Jun 2008, 16:58

This is becoming such a pain. I've downloaded the map to both my Internet Downloads folder and straight into the maps sub-folder for ToE, yet when I try to open it in the appropriate map editor, it's not there... as a matter of fact, none of the ToE maps are there. I don't know what the hell you have to do to open one of these things but it's seriously starting to irritate me.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 03 Jun 2008, 00:02

Jay wrote:This is becoming such a pain. I've downloaded the map to both my Internet Downloads folder and straight into the maps sub-folder for ToE, yet when I try to open it in the appropriate map editor, it's not there... as a matter of fact, none of the ToE maps are there. I don't know what the hell you have to do to open one of these things but it's seriously starting to irritate me.
Most maps are ziped up. You have to unziop the map. I always download the map to my desktop then unzip it and put the unziped map file and readme into the maps folder.

Right click on the file you downloaded if it is a zip file. Do you have an "extract" option? If not you will need to download a program such as Winzip that lets you unzip the file.

The map editor can't open a zipped file. The official TOE maps are zipped up in an archive for some reason.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”