Search found 44 matches

by Hambone
20 Oct 2011, 23:46
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: strategic balance
Replies: 4
Views: 2933

My advice is to play Heroes 6 on the hardest map difficulty on skirmish maps (choose the AI difficulty as you please, I find Hard AI just rapes if they attack you in the first 2-3 weeks). That way resources are always scarce so its actually a choice of how to best deploy your resources. Do you get ...
by Hambone
20 Oct 2011, 19:48

Actually, the fog of war was only in Heroes IV and even then it was not liked, or at least many people who hated Heroes IV listed it in game's cons. Just saying. Agreed. The problem in HOMM6 though is that it is so easy to defend your empire with all these teleporters and the global troop pool that...
by Hambone
20 Oct 2011, 18:55

strategic balance

The strategic balance in skirmish maps against the AI or another human has been ruined by four mechanisms: 1) the global pool for recruiting troops means your entire army from multiple cities (and bonus buildings) can be raised in a city in one week, making it too easy to massively and suddenly swin...
by Hambone
11 Jul 2009, 07:01
Forum: News
Topic: Update on HoMM Kingdoms
Replies: 8
Views: 3652

Update on HoMM Kingdoms

Deadguy118 -- I think you will be pleasantly surprised by HOMMK.
by Hambone
01 May 2009, 22:30
Topic: Heroes 6 wishlist (draft)
Replies: 328
Views: 138437

Fix the UI so it works like GalCiv or Sins of a Solar Empire: you can zoom in to enjoy the beauty and detail or you can zoom out all the way to an abstracted 2D representation.
by Hambone
07 Aug 2008, 16:05
Forum: Might and Magic
Topic: Musing/Rant on the future
Replies: 12
Views: 4398

Re: Musing/Rant on the future

Where is the future? Will Ubisoft suck it up and make a MMX? I hear what you are saying, but it seems to me that a modern MMX would basically amount to another Elder Scrolls: Oblivion set in similarly high-fantasy circumstances. I don't see how Ubi could justify the huge investment of money into a ...
by Hambone
05 Aug 2008, 18:42
Forum: Hall of the Heretics
Topic: Travians Browser RPG Game.
Replies: 3
Views: 2690

wow -- so somebody just rebuilt Travian using Ajax?

crazy how easy it is becoming for developers to copy these browser-based games.
by Hambone
05 Aug 2008, 18:40
Topic: Yet Another Online Heroes!
Replies: 24
Views: 11645

Yeah, I gave it a try last night and at first thought "oh no!" because it seemed like a pretty solid massive browser version of HOMM. But as I finished my first couple of battles there didn't seem much point to the game other than just slowly collecting resources and fighting endless battl...
by Hambone
05 Aug 2008, 02:11
Topic: Yet Another Online Heroes!
Replies: 24
Views: 11645

Anyone making much out of this game? Seems like you basically just slowly build up resources, spend them on troops, then duel other players. Which isn't exactly "epic", though I do like the HOMM theme.
by Hambone
05 Aug 2008, 01:01
Topic: King's Bounty / HoMM differences...
Replies: 9
Views: 5417

Hi Toastman, great question and one I decided to answer for myself quite definitively! So a few years ago I wrote an essay precisely on how King's Bounty evolved into the HOMM series and what we can trace of the gameplay similarities throughout. Since the new King's Bounty is coming out soon, and si...
by Hambone
05 Aug 2008, 00:50
Topic: Latest game you purchased
Replies: 254
Views: 58774

I've been on a bit of a buying blitz over the last two months -- there's just a lot of good stuff out there to find! Currently I have to admit I'm in love with my iPhone. The physics-based games are a blast and it's nice to have "the one device to rule them all" in your pocket instead of a...
by Hambone
27 Jan 2007, 14:12
Topic: A Wish for Portable Heroes
Replies: 18
Views: 7724

A Wish for Portable Heroes

I like HOMM plenty, but Advance Wars DS frankly kicks its ass. If a full-blown Advance Wars game were made for the PC, we'd all be playing it instead.
by Hambone
01 Dec 2006, 03:05
Topic: Scale the UI?
Replies: 0
Views: 1191

Scale the UI?

Is there any way to scale the UI so it is smaller? Even at my laptops native resolution of 1440x900 I find the UI elements (menus, buttons, dialog boxes, etc.) occupy an unnecessary amount of space.
by Hambone
02 Nov 2006, 20:31
Topic: OSX barbarians at the gates of HOMM
Replies: 6
Views: 2859

OSX barbarians at the gates of HOMM

You illiterate clods. "Barbarians at the gates" is an old cliche meaning broadly that something big is about to happen, or more narrowly that a threat is about to be faced. What I meant was that Mac users are about to be "released" into the world of HOMMV as the port is nearly co...
by Hambone
31 Oct 2006, 20:55
Topic: OSX barbarians at the gates of HOMM
Replies: 6
Views: 2859

OSX barbarians at the gates of HOMM

Hail satiated PC gamers! Hambone here from Macland to report the news from on high. Yesterday, <a href="http://freeverse.com/">Freeverse</a> Vice President Colin Smith contacted <a href="hommv.utopos.net">HOMMV for OSX!</a> with the good word that a feature-complete build of HOMM...
by Hambone
16 Sep 2006, 05:57
Topic: "I'm Evil"
Replies: 47
Views: 13821

"I'm Evil"

The tone of your post makes it sound like this phenomenon is new to you Psychobabble, but I think most people are aware of "OGMs" and most serious websites with serious communities have policies and cultures in place that vitiate against it. I've never seen this manifest as a "witch h...
by Hambone
16 Sep 2006, 05:57
Topic: "I'm Evil"
Replies: 47
Views: 13821

"I'm Evil"

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1158372682
by Hambone
14 Sep 2006, 04:28
Topic: Patch 1.3 is out...
Replies: 61
Views: 23097

will i ever be able to attack a castle gate directly with my creature stacks?
by Hambone
14 Aug 2006, 05:06
Topic: OSX Gaming: Now for Serious? Yarly!
Replies: 2
Views: 1572

OSX Gaming: Now for Serious? Yarly!

Parallels and Crossover are a little different. Parallels works like the old emulator Virtual PC by creating a disk image file in the MacOS. You then install a copy of WindowsXP into this disk image. When you run Parallels, Windows boots off the disk image (treating it like its own separate hard dri...
by Hambone
13 Aug 2006, 19:12
Topic: OSX Gaming: Now for Serious? Yarly!
Replies: 2
Views: 1572

OSX Gaming: Now for Serious? Yarly!

For those living under Sandro's helmet, the Mac OSX gaming scene was rocked recently with the announcement of <a href="http://www.transgaming.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&file=index&func=display&ceid=24">Cider</a>, a cross-platform "wrapper" from Transgaming Te...

Go to advanced search