difficulty in armageddon's blade

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
partysensei
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

difficulty in armageddon's blade

Unread postby partysensei » 16 Feb 2008, 16:42

Is there any way to turn down the difficulty in armageddon's blade like there is in shadow of death?

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 17 Feb 2008, 04:17

It is not possible. Any specific map you are in trouble with?

partysensei
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

dragon's blood

Unread postby partysensei » 19 Feb 2008, 02:03

The third map on dragon's blood - blood of the dragon father. I got all the way to the end where the dragons are to discover that Oswald had already killed the ghost dragons so I can't get to the rest. Incredibly frustrating.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 19 Feb 2008, 12:19

How he had got to visit the blue key master tent? That should not happens. He's normally prohibited to do so... replay...
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 20 Feb 2008, 07:31

I once managed to modify difficulty in the Restoration of Erathia but it seems that this was due to a bug that was fixed with patch 1.4. Like others here have pointed out, the bug appeared after playing a single map and then switching to play a campaign map. The level of difficulty used in a single map was still "on" when the campaign map's opening screen appeared. Funny bug and kind of useful too for RoE is not known for being that challenging.

In a related note, I have a question too: is it possible to open a campaign map in regular H3 map editor? I think I have managed to do this somehow (?) but was it another bug remains a mystery...

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Feb 2008, 14:11

Yurian Stonebow wrote:I once managed to modify difficulty in the Restoration of Erathia but it seems that this was due to a bug that was fixed with patch 1.4. Like others here have pointed out, the bug appeared after playing a single map and then switching to play a campaign map. The level of difficulty used in a single map was still "on" when the campaign map's opening screen appeared. Funny bug and kind of useful too for RoE is not known for being that challenging.

In a related note, I have a question too: is it possible to open a campaign map in regular H3 map editor? I think I have managed to do this somehow (?) but was it another bug remains a mystery...

Yurian

You first have to extract the H3C files from the .LOD data files. The H3C files are then fully edit-able.
I used ModHOMM.exe to extract H3C files, and all the useful stuff (like the .TXT data files that I use tp balance the game)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Feb 2008, 14:56

Yurian Stonebow wrote: In a related note, I have a question too: is it possible to open a campaign map in regular H3 map editor? I think I have managed to do this somehow (?) but was it another bug remains a mystery...
Sure, just extract campaign out the game, open in campaign editor and extract individual maps. Resedit works just fine for this task.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 20 Feb 2008, 19:26

@UndeadHalfOrc & Pol

Great news! Many many thanks for this solution. I can tell you that up until now this has been a real block on my path to rework some campaigns in the RoE. I don't want to meddle with the maps themselves but rather adjust the level of difficulty. For example raise "Steadwick's Fall" scenario difficulty back from Normal to Hard. And while I'm at it, the whole "Long Live the Queen" and "Seeds of Discontent" campaigns could use some adjustments as well.

You have just made a Heroes fan a happy game modding Heroes fan. :)
Thank you, gentlemen.

Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

partysensei
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

that makes sense

Unread postby partysensei » 21 Feb 2008, 01:51

So that's why it's crucial that the enemy doesn't tag the blue tent. What happened was that I took the second castle at the beginning of week two, but there was already a scout out with an army that slipped by and tagged the tent. I guess I'll just have to start over.

The topic started because my husband (yes, I'm old) saw me playing AB again, and decided to play and found it too hard as he's only played RoE and found the expansion too difficult at first. He's adjusted, and I'd love to be able to turn up the difficulty in RoE, but it doesn't seem possible if it's patched now.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 21 Feb 2008, 02:16

I have made this help file a while ago to help anyone modify the H3C campaign files.

There are 3 separate LOD files. You HAVE to know which ones to modify. Here are which files are used by which version.

*H3bitmap.lod*

SHADOW OF DEATH CAMPAIGN played with Shadow of Death
Crag.h3c
Gelu.h3c
Gem.h3c
Yog.h3c
Sandro.h3c
Final.h3c
Secret.h3c

RESTORATION OF ERATHIA CAMPAIGN played with Shadow of Death
Good1.h3c
Evil1.h3c
Neutral1.h3c
Good2.h3c
Evil2.h3c
Good3.h3c
Secret1.h3c

*H3ab_bmp.lod*

ARMAGEDDON'S BLADE CAMPAIGN played with Shadow of Death
Ab.h3c
Blood.h3c
Festival.h3c
Fire.h3c
Slayer.h3c
Fool.h3c (!!! USED FOR BOTH SOD AND AB !!!)

RESTORATION OF ERATHIA CAMPAIGN played with Armageddon's Blade
Good1.h3c
Neutral1.h3c
Evil2.h3c
Good3.h3c

UNUSED by neither SOD or AB for some reason.
Evil1.h3c
Good2.h3c
Secret1.h3c

UNUSED and UNOPENABLE
Neutral.h3c

*H3abp_bm.lod*

RESTORATION OF ERATHIA CAMPAIGN played with Armageddon's Blade
Evil1.h3c
Good2.h3c
Secret1.h3c

ARMAGEDDON'S BLADE CAMPAIGN played with Armageddon's Blade
Ab.h3c
Blood.h3c
Festival.h3c
Fire.h3c
Slayer.h3c

Trevor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: that makes sense

Unread postby Trevor » 13 Mar 2008, 16:08

partysensei wrote:So that's why it's crucial that the enemy doesn't tag the blue tent. What happened was that I took the second castle at the beginning of week two, but there was already a scout out with an army that slipped by and tagged the tent. I guess I'll just have to start over.
That reminds me that I always try to keep one save per week while playing the game. I usually number my saves simply with three numbers, like 135, which would mean month 1 week 3 day 5.

I don't save every day, and sometimes overwrite saves within a few days of each other, but I try to end the game with at least one save per week. That way, if I end up making a major mistake or something, I might not have to replay the whole scenario.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”