Installing Heroes 1

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Installing Heroes 1

Unread postby Ryder » 21 Oct 2007, 03:31

I'm bored and want to try the old classic again but when I got to install it on my XP machine it says you need Win 95. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks,
Ryder

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 21 Oct 2007, 11:26

Have you tried using the Win 95 compatibility mode?

That should work, but if not, you could try running it under DosBox.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 21 Oct 2007, 11:46

The W95 version will NOT run on dosbox.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 21 Oct 2007, 11:53

Just copy Heroes folder to hard disk and it should work - but not without some random crashes (at least my copy of H1 has them).

berntie
Scout
Scout

Re: Installing Heroes 1

Unread postby berntie » 21 Oct 2007, 12:18

Ryder wrote:I'm bored and want to try the old classic again but when I got to install it on my XP machine it says you need Win 95. Is there a work around for this?
Try the application compatibility toolkit as described in the FAQ.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Installing Heroes 1

Unread postby Metathron » 21 Oct 2007, 13:01

berntie wrote:
Ryder wrote:I'm bored and want to try the old classic again but when I got to install it on my XP machine it says you need Win 95. Is there a work around for this?
Try the application compatibility toolkit as described in the FAQ.
I thought that was only supposed to fix the music problem, though I think it doesn't even do that.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 21 Oct 2007, 20:06

Avonu wrote:Just copy Heroes folder to hard disk and it should work - but not without some random crashes (at least my copy of H1 has them).
I'll give that a try. Tried playing H2 and it just keeps crashing, the longest I played for was a week. Very upsetting.

Ohma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ohma » 25 Oct 2007, 16:13

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:The W95 version will NOT run on dosbox.
I beg to differ! I have my old copy (DOS/Win95) installed via the windows installer, and run through DOSBox.
Free IO!!
Cheng I Sao r0xx0rz my 50xx0rz!!
Glory to the Many!
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." -Pravin Lal
We're *ALL* Devo!

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 25 Oct 2007, 17:13

The blurb in the FAQ about the Application Compatibility Toolkit is to fix a music problem for Heroes 2, not 1.

To run Heroes 1 under WinXP you'll need to set Win95 compatibility mode for the installer and for the game itself. If you experience random crashes during the game, you might try some of these ideas.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 25 Oct 2007, 19:32

Ohma wrote:
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:The W95 version will NOT run on dosbox.
I beg to differ! I have my old copy (DOS/Win95) installed via the windows installer, and run through DOSBox.
There is no DOS AND Win95 version to my knowledge.

Quick check, does your version include a map editor?

Ohma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ohma » 25 Oct 2007, 22:34

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
There is no DOS AND Win95 version to my knowledge.

Quick check, does your version include a map editor?
...no...

But it does say right on the CD (and the installation guide) "For DOS and Windows 95". Furthermore, it includes a seperate installation program for both. I decided to install the Win version so I could get the better logo/intro animations, and then run the game in DOSBox (from the afformentioned faux CD Drive) to bypass both the crashing and music/sound access speed problems.

EDIT: I can even scan the card and post a picture of the CD if'n ya' want.
Free IO!!
Cheng I Sao r0xx0rz my 50xx0rz!!
Glory to the Many!
"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." -Pravin Lal
We're *ALL* Devo!

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 25 Oct 2007, 22:44

Look, if you don't have the map editor, (and 16 extra maps), then YOU DON'T HAVE THE WINDOWS 95 version of Heroes 1. Got it? My first post was correct. That version DOES NOT work on Dos, or Dosbox.

I remember just as it was yesterday when both version where sold in stores. Sure enough, that W95 version did NOT work on my dos only computer, I almost had to buy Win95 ONLY to play my version of Heroes 1.

Mazzy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mazzy » 31 Dec 2007, 13:12

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Look, if you don't have the map editor, (and 16 extra maps), then YOU DON'T HAVE THE WINDOWS 95 version of Heroes 1. Got it? My first post was correct. That version DOES NOT work on Dos, or Dosbox.

I remember just as it was yesterday when both version where sold in stores. Sure enough, that W95 version did NOT work on my dos only computer, I almost had to buy Win95 ONLY to play my version of Heroes 1.

Oh my, could you please share this map editor for H1 ? It would be extremely appreciated :-D I've been searching for it for months now !

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 04 Jan 2008, 09:33

WIN95 is not the only thing - there is a sound and the picture copmression "8 bit problem" and there is no H1 would work in my case...

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 02 Feb 2008, 06:06

Artas1984 wrote:WIN95 is not the only thing - there is a sound and the picture copmression "8 bit problem" and there is no H1 would work in my case...
Guys...There is two HoMM1 verisons. DOS & Win95. I have a dual boot system (Vista64 & Win XP) & within XP I can run (HoMM 1 Win95) all day long without a crash every time! Just set the compatibility mode to Win95 within XP & you're all set!

I have both, but I never tried DOS with DOSBOX. What's the point? DOSBOX is great, but never delivers like the original OS system!

PS: I run with 16-bit sound w/o any issues!

Return to “Heroes I-IV”