Campaign system

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Read the post and decide!

One story-more sides[H1]
No votes
desicion depending[H2]
33%
All misions must be completed, but not in certain order[RoE, SoD, GS, WoW]
44%
Every campaign on its own[AB, H4]
15%
Linear[H5]
7%

Total votes: 27

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Campaign system

Unread postby Akul » 17 Nov 2006, 12:39

Which of thiese Campaign systems you like the most?

One story-more sides
This was in H1 where you choose one of four lords (every presenting his own race) and played all maps with theme

desicion depending
This system was in H2 where you choose will you support either Roland or Archibald. As the campaign progresed, they gave you decisions what will you do. You were also able to betray your lord.

All misions must be completed, but not in certain order
This system was in H3RoE, H3SoD and H4 expansions.

Every campaign on its own
In this system you choose a campaign and finish it. Campaigns don't have any direct link with one another

Linear
There are more campaigns but they all must be completed in certain order. This system is in H5.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Nov 2006, 12:42

Decicion depending
This system was in H2 where you choose will you support either Roland or Archibald. As the campaign progresed, they gave you decisions what will you do. You were also able to betray your lord.

All misions must be completed, but not in certain order
This system was in H3RoE, H3SoD and H4 expansions.
I think i'd prefer a mix of the two woth a pinch of "SC ruin story" warning in there too.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 17 Nov 2006, 12:54

I believe each type has its charms... and I can't really say that I enjoyed one type more than another... It's just that campaigns must have a good storyline and a plausible plot... H5 sucks at this chapter

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 17 Nov 2006, 13:34

I love the H4 freedom of choice, and how each of the races was just settling into this new world.

But why on earth is this thread in the off topic forum??
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Nov 2006, 13:39

I'll move this to the Heroes I-IV forum, since it's not off-topic.

I really liked the Heroes III way, which told a coherent story while still allowing some freedom.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 17 Nov 2006, 13:43

Me too.
And I'll also add that for a Heroes game I like campaigns that don't contain the tutorial within them (H3 and 4 are perfect examples).
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 17 Nov 2006, 14:04

h3.

h2 version might be more fun, but making such camp takes more time than making a similar semi-linear campaign.

btw, why is WoW listed there? you meant WoG i guess? or its really World of Warcraft?

h4 & ab sucked imo. not-related-campaigns should remain only fan-made. a structured storyline from different angles at different times (as in h3 where you lead eg both Catherines army and Gryphonhearts resurrectors army).

h5 is strictly taken from warcraft3. its not good. its bad. its reaally bad. no choice whatsoever.

Odish
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Odish » 17 Nov 2006, 14:19

One story-more sides
This was in H1 where you choose one of four lords (every presenting his own race) and played all maps with theme

Linear
There are more campaigns but they all must be completed in certain order. This system is in H5.
I´d like a combination of this two. where u get different prespective as u play along but still must play in order, every campaign reveals a little more of the true ´objective´ story so by the end u know the whole thing..

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 17 Nov 2006, 14:27

vhilhu wrote:why is WoW listed there? you meant WoG i guess? or its really World of Warcraft?
WoW = The Winds of War, the second Heroes IV expansion. That term was also used to describe Crag Hack's farts. :D

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 17 Nov 2006, 14:36

Angelspit wrote: WoW = The Winds of War, the second Heroes IV expansion. That term was also used to describe Crag Hack's farts. :D
And GS (Gathering Storm) was about moments before the gases were let out of body.

I'd say H2 had probably the most interesting campaign line-up, but a combination with other methods could be even funnier.

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 17 Nov 2006, 14:55

While I like choice, I also really like the structure of H5. Yes, it's similar to warcraft 3 and I enjoyed Warcraft 3 a lot(I may start playing that game again, lol).

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 17 Nov 2006, 15:06

Linear - it allows for the development of the best storyline. If within the linear system the campaign can be influenced by player decisions, all the better.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Nov 2006, 15:12

And GS (Gathering Storm) was about moments before the gases were let out of body.
And SoD is what he was.

Pls, a story can be good no matter then type of progresion.

I rather like seeing events that hapen at the same time in different places, and the complexity of such an interwoven tale would be a plus over an equaly good story taking place liniarly.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 17 Nov 2006, 15:15

While I preferred how the campaigns were made in H3, I'm for the best of both worlds. I think maybe the best solution is to have two separate campaigns (say, good or evil, H2-style), you can start with the side you want from the start (sort of H3-style) and inside those campaigns you have to follow a linear storyline with each of the factions (H5-style). Two campaigns of 15 levels are better than only one big and somewhat boring campaign of 30.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 17 Nov 2006, 15:21

H3 RoE for me. It could be tightened a bit if one wanted though. The separate campaigns (H4) works as well. I'm not too fond of the H5 way.

And I totally agree with tLD in thath campaigns shouldn't contain tutorials- they could offer some way where you gradually got used to the fraction (see h3), but they shouldn't be used to teach you the basics of playing the game.

Also, the campaigns shouldn't have a fixed length. Some of the H5 campaign maps were totally redundant in terms of story and looked like they only were included to make the total go up to 5 for each campaign.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 17 Nov 2006, 16:01

A few notes:
1) every campaign on its own should also list PoL (Price of Loyalty - H2 expansion)

2) Since you have RoE insteadof H3, perhaps instead of H1, you should have ASQ (A Strategic Quest), and for H2 have TSW (The Succession Wars). For H5 put "nst" (no sub-title ;) ) What was the subtitle of H4?
Maybe just change RoE to H3 and be done with it.

3) What is the campaign structure for HoF? That should be added on as well.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 17 Nov 2006, 18:14

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:What was the subtitle of H4?
TNG :D

Wheres the all of the above option?I dont care for the system as much as I care for the story.If the story is good,it doesnt matter how it is being told(well it does matter,but if its suited for the given system,it will always be good).But,if I have t choose,Ill choose HII because I love choices.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 17 Nov 2006, 19:29

I choose H2. I liked the choices and would have liked if I could declare myself the king :D
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 20 Nov 2006, 01:36

An almagamation of H2 and H3 could be interesting, these I enjoy the most anyway, but H3 pips the post, just
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”