Haven Revolution

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which design you like the most?

H1
15%
H2
18%
H3 Castle
29%
H4 Haven
8%
H5 Haven
29%

Total votes: 143

Le_Faucheur
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Le_Faucheur » 28 Jul 2006, 12:00

H5.it's awesome and big!and I like the light of the sun!

Zombie_Inc
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Zombie_Inc » 28 Jul 2006, 13:12

Voted HV, simply because it looks just like a scene from LotR. The H3 in also great and I haven't played H1 yet, but the H2 seems too desolate to me. It doesn't look like a city, it looks like a training ground or something. And the Heroes 4 one.... Sucks like the rest of the game. :D

and the 50-story-high jousting arena - It's just the Order of Paladins building, not the jousting arena....

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 28 Jul 2006, 13:18

H1...It's a pretty basic town, but that's what I'd expect from a place where Peasants and Swordsmen live, and I like it.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 31 Jul 2006, 10:17

It is a though decision between H3 and H5 but I gotta give it to H3. It just is a bit more classic and besides nothing can top the Portal, its awesome.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 23 Aug 2006, 07:27

H3 for me in this one
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 23 Aug 2006, 08:19

knights' town has always been the most boring. but h5 is better just because that angel statue and light shining.

m9
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby m9 » 24 Aug 2006, 09:52

H IV for ever...
m9

Paladin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Paladin » 25 Aug 2006, 11:09

It's Heroes 2 again for me. It gives a real medieval look, and it's not too shiny (H3), boring (H4) or unrealistic (H5). H1 is good, but perhaps a bit too colourful.
A cat is fine too...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 09 Sep 2006, 17:20

The HoMM V castle, as opposed to other H5 towns, looks rather drab. Though the view is breath-taking, the plethora of plain brick houses and the look (and placement!) of most creature dwellings make the town largely monotonous.

I'm voting for the first HoMM castle, as it is lovely, lively and charming. Castles numero 2 and 3 are also very nicely done, with the most noteworthy features of H2 being the mountains, the mage guild and the paladin dwelling, and of H3 the sky, the colossus and the angel dwelling (though the four dwellings on the hill on the left are just as dull as those of H5).

H4 is average at best.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

cromwell
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Hi All! :)

Unread postby cromwell » 10 Sep 2006, 14:50

I voted H2. I hesitated between that and H3 but I chose 2 because of crusaders and paladins instead of angels. Angels is not the best choice for me, not because of religious reasons or something but cause I liked the diversity this added to the game.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Hi All! :)

Unread postby Metathron » 10 Sep 2006, 18:11

cromwell wrote:I voted H2. I hesitated between that and H3 but I chose 2 because of crusaders and paladins instead of angels. Angels is not the best choice for me, not because of religious reasons or something but cause I liked the diversity this added to the game.
Wait a moment. You like diversity, yet you preferred paladins over angels? I would think angels brought more diversity since paladins were nothing more but soldiers/walkers, much like most of the HoMM II array of Knight creatures.

cromwell
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Hi All! :)

Unread postby cromwell » 11 Sep 2006, 14:34

Metathron wrote:
cromwell wrote:I voted H2. I hesitated between that and H3 but I chose 2 because of crusaders and paladins instead of angels. Angels is not the best choice for me, not because of religious reasons or something but cause I liked the diversity this added to the game.
Wait a moment. You like diversity, yet you preferred paladins over angels? I would think angels brought more diversity since paladins were nothing more but soldiers/walkers, much like most of the HoMM II array of Knight creatures.
The diversity was because not all town types have top creatures that are alike. In H3 tier 7 creatures were all in the range of 200-300 hit points, attack and defense were also close. One H2 paladin could not be compared to a black dragon or a cyclops in the same manner. I liked that, it made playing knight very difficult but added diversity to the different factions.

I still believe that if implemented in the right way, a crusader troop will look better as top haven troop than the angel. For example, give him special armor and shield that resist 80% magic and 70% ranged damage (to preserve the low hit points) AND the resurrect ability + high initiative. Perhaps double strike to make it a formidable melee opponent. Still, it will be noticeably weaker than, say, a dragon - so make its weekly growth higher.

Voila - you have a great AND different top haven troop. Haven will have only one flier, but a troop that resurrects is a great addition anyway. I hoped to see this diversity in H5 (not only for haven, but all factions) but I guess balancing them is not easy. Still, I believe it is doable for haven...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 11 Sep 2006, 16:55

I'm glad I asked you to elucidate, as you put forth a most interesting suggestion. :)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Sep 2006, 17:13

Yes,I too miss the chaos from HII.Too bad we wont see it again,sinc its much easier to make 7 units that all upgrade just once,have one tank,one fast flyer,one archer and one caster with three fillers,then to think of something unique(like complete melee town with support casters,for example)

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 11 Sep 2006, 22:11

I also agree that chaos upgrades would have been the thing I like to see most in H5. As DL mentioned, there could be a lot of creativity in designing different strategy for factions that encourages the player to adopt a different playing style. It's even more fun when you factor in mixing different alignments of creatures. So many wonderful possibilities.

At the same time, I also recall that a lot of people got bent out of shape that bone/spectral dragons in H5 were weaker than other tiers, so it makes me think how many people would actaully welcome chaos. ;|

edit: And if you combine chaos upgrades with H4 style of creature development, where you choose between one type of creature, then you have even more chaos and choices. I don't know how well this could be implemented though.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Sep 2006, 22:25

mr.hackcrag wrote: At the same time, I also recall that a lot of people got bent out of shape that bone/spectral dragons in H5 were weaker than other tiers, so it makes me think how many people would actaully welcome chaos. ;|
The problem with them is that they cost an arm and a leg,even though they are weaker.Now id they costed as crusaders in HII did,it would be no problem.
mr.hackcrag wrote: edit: And if you combine chaos upgrades with H4 style of creature development, where you choose between one type of creature, then you have even more chaos and choices. I don't know how well this could be implemented though.
Personally Id prefer chaos of choices but without upgrades and with creature XP instead.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 11 Sep 2006, 22:58

DaemianLucifer wrote:Personally Id prefer chaos of choices but without upgrades and with creature XP instead.
Me too, I've always felt that upgrades were really boring and took up a lot of space that could be used for new monsters. In past homms, I couldn't stand having un-upgraded creatures in my army. It was just a stepping stone to getting the full version of what the creature should be.

And creature xp was my favorite feature in WoG. Now that I think of all the possibilities that H5 could have been, I feel even worse than usual about how H5 turned out. :(

I wish I could cut and paste all the great things about different homm games into one ultimate homm. :)

Edit: I wish I'd stop remembering things to say after I've submitted but...
The problem with them is that they cost an arm and a leg,even though they are weaker.Now id they costed as crusaders in HII did,it would be no problem.
But a lot of people complained about imbalanced all across the board, not only dragons. I haven't played H5 much, but do all their creatures cost a ton? I know that dragons at least get extra growth to compensate, but I hear that wasn't implemented well either.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Sep 2006, 00:34

All level 7s are hellishly expensive.Usually around 40k+ gold for the dwellings itself,plus tons of resources,plus huge level(I think its 15,like the capitol),and they all cost cca 5k gold(except the shadows).This all seems same to HIII prices,but money in HIII was much more easilly obtained.And the effectivnes of level 7s is almost none now.Usually you dont have to go over 6,unles in a really long game,and on really big maps(and there arent much of those).

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 19 Jun 2007, 14:00

H2 or H3. H5's castle town is the weakest looking of the H5 towns. it almost looks unfinished to me. H4's looks like it was drawn by a freshman computer science major. I ultimately gave H2 the edge because I like the design of the castle better.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 19 Jun 2007, 14:31

H3 once again.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Return to “Heroes I-IV”