Sanctuary

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Sanctuary

Unread postby Artas1984 » 13 Oct 2009, 07:49

Hiring several heroes with incoming resources proficiency and placing them in the sanctuary as a resource silo is not a bad idea. I totally forgot about sanctuary - how many of you think it's a bit unfair that you can palce a whole legion of soldiers there? You know, that a good map must not have too many of the same structures placed - what do you think of sanctuary?

How many of them should fit per 144X144 map if making a realistic map?
Just your opinions
By Artas1984

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 13 Oct 2009, 17:06

What game are you talking about? I think in HoMM4 you have to pay for it.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 13 Oct 2009, 21:52

Are you serious or just making fun of noobs? Because making use of the limited in number heros for making them inactive in a sanctuary is the worst thing to do, unless you don't have a clue of what to do with them.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 13 Oct 2009, 22:23

I don't put a lot of Sanctuarys on a map for HoMM3. I put more on for a WoG map since it can reanimate Commanders.
I felt like they were one of the more worthless buldings for H3 and I recommended Fnord make it more useful in WoG. JMO.
I know some people like having them around though for all the games in the series.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 14 Oct 2009, 03:56

Wait, people use sanctuaries?
Back from the dead? Maybe.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 14 Oct 2009, 04:18

In 1,000's of games I've played, believe it or not I used them once in a non WoG game !

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Oct 2009, 09:47

Sanctuaries are good when there's a hero that will annihilate you near-by... but usually that means that you already lost the game. I remember for sure that i used it in SP a few times though.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

hobowu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby hobowu » 14 Oct 2009, 11:22

I've used sanctuaries in "warlords" (non wog) =)

It helps since you can reach from sanctuary to orange town in 1 day =)

Have a hero with some army in sanctuary, and now orange can't leave town cos you'll go in and take over =) =)

There are other maps that sanctuaries also serve this function!

Other than this, I don't see any use for sanctuaries... apart from the very rare instances of hiding a hero there until your next hero comes along with reinforcements --> join armies.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 14 Oct 2009, 12:15

hobowu wrote:I've used sanctuaries in "warlords" (non wog) =)

It helps since you can reach from sanctuary to orange town in 1 day =)

Have a hero with some army in sanctuary, and now orange can't leave town cos you'll go in and take over =) =)

There are other maps that sanctuaries also serve this function!
But couldn't you achieve the same effect just by positioning your hero there (i.e. on plain terrain, not in a sanctuary) and set him to sleep mode? If we're talking about HoMM III, of course.

In HoMM IV, you can also resurrect your dead heroes in a sanctuary, so it's slightly more useful.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 Oct 2009, 14:53

Talking about HoMM3, I did use them a few times for avoiding a large army of the enemy and later on getting enough reinforcements to destroy it, yet it's more valuable for the AI, it tends to put heroes there and annoy you.

L0wn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby L0wn » 14 Oct 2009, 15:45

Recently I was playing a map that had sanctuary close to a castle of mine. My castle was occupied by an average hero, and my strong hero was close by. I noticed an enemy hero who I wasn't able to beat with my average hero, but who I would crush with my strong hero, who would be there in 2 days. So I hired a new hero, put him in the sanctuary, still occupied my town with my average hero and 2 days later I was able to crush him with my strong hero who arrived at the scene :)

It was my first use of a sanctuary ever if my memory serves me right :)

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 15 Oct 2009, 00:39

Salamandre wrote:Are you serious or just making fun of noobs? Because making use of the limited in number heros for making them inactive in a sanctuary is the worst thing to do, unless you don't have a clue of what to do with them.
This. ;)

I should add that it's not just the limited number of heroes, but also the price you have to pay for them. Don't hire a hero unless you know what to do with him, and once you hire him get him to do that thing instead of camp in a sanctuary. And even if you got nothing to do with a hero, you can camp them in a castle instead of in a sanctuary ...
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 15 Oct 2009, 09:23

I used a sanctuary once, it was within a 1 day walk to an opponent castle, so I waited for it to be undefended and took it over
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Oct 2009, 07:25

Banedon wrote:I should add that it's not just the limited number of heroes, but also the price you have to pay for them. Don't hire a hero unless you know what to do with him, and once you hire him get him to do that thing instead of camp in a sanctuary. And even if you got nothing to do with a hero, you can camp them in a castle instead of in a sanctuary ...
Well, if you have one town, have a hero for gathering resources from windmills and of like already and get an offer to hire a hero with estates or resource generation, you might as well put one in there and use it as a static mine.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Oct 2009, 11:55

Except that you're better off lvl-ing that hero via exp stones etc.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 17 Oct 2009, 01:38

ThunderTitan wrote:Except that you're better off lvl-ing that hero via exp stones etc.
Or using him to chain units off your main hero to speed his movement up ...
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Oct 2009, 06:20

Sure, but he was talking about economic advantages, not logistical ones...

hobowu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby hobowu » 19 Oct 2009, 12:10

ThunderTitan wrote:Sure, but he was talking about economic advantages, not logistical ones...
That could be true during mid-late game when pretty much all you do is town-portal, since chaining troops may not be viable =)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”