Factions line-up

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 26 Jan 2015, 15:20

Agreed. Deadly gaze (renamed smite :) ) would be perfect for it.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 26 Jan 2015, 18:25

Oh, and for those that didn't get enough elfs already, there's another one, the first announced neutral unit, Sea Elf.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 27 Jan 2015, 02:50

That's not too bad as far as elves go. Is that the first dark skinned unit in homm?

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 27 Jan 2015, 05:29

That's something that bothers me about the fantasy genre in general - that it all too often feels like a whites-only club.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Jan 2015, 07:23

Panda Tar wrote:Oh, and for those that didn't get enough elfs already, there's another one, the first announced neutral unit, Sea Elf.
Yes, in new Q&A. This time more informative.There.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 27 Jan 2015, 11:51

Panda Tar wrote:the first announced neutral unit, Sea Elf.
We know nearly from HoMM7 annoucment that Griffins also will be in game (as neutralns besides campaign), that Seamus the Stag also will have unique unit (another neutral) and that there will be Gold Dragons... so Sea Elf is third annoucemnt neutral (as we don't know anything about Seamus' unit) but first to have concept art revealed.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 27 Jan 2015, 18:49

Avonu wrote:... so Sea Elf is third annoucemnt neutral (as we don't know anything about Seamus' unit) but first to have concept art revealed.
Yeah, you're right. First concept, but third announced.

And the quantity of people complaining about Necropolis artwork did make them announce something else. Check the blog. :)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 27 Jan 2015, 21:39

Panda Tar wrote:
And the quantity of people complaining about Necropolis artwork did make them announce something else.
Those two have to be vampire and lich. Those are just dreadful.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 19 Feb 2015, 15:15

And those were the chosen ones for reworking, they just announced.

Besides that, Necropolis faction got its update in the main page, not fully complete, but units, at least, are there.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 21 Feb 2015, 06:01

I'm glad it worked out as expected. Assuming the new arts are good, Necropolis went from terrible to above average with this latest batch of news updates.

I also really like the artwork versions of the units way more than the 3d renders. Damn 3d renders always messing everything up. :mad: The sphinx looks really nice in the art.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 23 Feb 2015, 14:06

Yeah, artworks are looking better indeed.

Something I thought was poor were the differentiation between units when not upgraded. Almost all of them are only 'undead'. There's nothing else telling them apart, saving stats alone (and those awful renders).

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 24 Feb 2015, 01:03

I laughed hard when I read their almost indignant post about the redesign, which has a "You complained so much we are doing this, but it will take time and money we could probably better spend on drugs and hookers, hope you are proud of yourselves!" tone to it. :D
Groovy wrote:That's something that bothers me about the fantasy genre in general - that it all too often feels like a whites-only club.
You don't need various sub-races when you already have SPECIES diversity... in a world of orcs, elves, dwarves, humans, dark elves, halflings... people can hardly complain about it being "'whites only". That's like saying "Romulans are white only" - no they aren't, they are Romulans. :D

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 24 Feb 2015, 01:07

Kalah wrote:Personally, I'd like liches to look different from normal skeletons.
They ARE different, they are WIZARD skeletons. :) And sorry, but liches have been around since 1980 or so, and that's how they always looked, undead skeletal magicians in tattered robes.

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 24 Feb 2015, 01:10

Pitsu wrote:
BlackDragonSlayer wrote: Grim Rider: Holy (REDACTED). This is like the Black Knights from Heroes 3 came back and got serious. 10/10 they blew the entire art budget on this thing.
I'd disagree with this one. Which serious black knight rides a horse(?) who glows in white light? It is probably an undead sun rider, or whatever those haven horsemen were called. I am also puzzled by the rib-like objects. Does the steed have costae on cervical vertebrae? Is it some kind of fancy armor? The place where rib cage should be looks empty though (but hard to tell).
Pssst, they are riding a Dinozone/Dinozaurs nightmare toy. :D

Seriously, the ribs around the translucent ectoplasm, totally Dinozone. :)

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 24 Feb 2015, 01:17

Also, wanna see a PROPER undead unit? Check the Dread Reaper for AOWIII's upcoming expansion. Not only does it look almost exactly like in the first two games (and has the death touch ability again!) but by Jove, that thing looks scary.

And it needs no raver party neon glowy effects to be scary.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 24 Feb 2015, 01:58

The hourglass was a nice touch. The bat/lizard wings however are not so smart. I like that their art style has always incorporated a bit of humor as well and you can kind of see it in that slack-jawed adorable face.
BB Shockwave wrote:
Groovy wrote:That's something that bothers me about the fantasy genre in general - that it all too often feels like a whites-only club.
You don't need various sub-races when you already have SPECIES diversity... in a world of orcs, elves, dwarves, humans, dark elves, halflings... people can hardly complain about it being "'whites only". That's like saying "Romulans are white only" - no they aren't, they are Romulans. :D
Africans aren't a sub-species though.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 24 Feb 2015, 05:42

BB Shockwave wrote:You don't need various sub-races when you already have SPECIES diversity... in a world of orcs, elves, dwarves, humans, dark elves, halflings... people can hardly complain about it being "'whites only". That's like saying "Romulans are white only" - no they aren't, they are Romulans. :D
Perhaps if every character in Middle Earth were black, it would strike you as odd and in need of more variety?

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 24 Feb 2015, 12:24

Groovy wrote: Perhaps if every character in Middle Earth were black, it would strike you as odd and in need of more variety?
Some say that Tolkien's Middle Earth is not just based on European fairy tales, but it is a fictional version of European history. Hence high prevalence of white skin is "expected". On the other hand, in a fantasy world (or faction) stemming from for example hindu mythology white-skinned red-bearded natives would look out of place. Variety in hair style, nose length, shoulder pad sizes or skin color is good, but should not be overdone or overrated.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 24 Feb 2015, 15:45

Pitsu wrote:Some say that Tolkien's Middle Earth is not just based on European fairy tales, but it is a fictional version of European history. Hence high prevalence of white skin is "expected". On the other hand, in a fantasy world (or faction) stemming from for example hindu mythology white-skinned red-bearded natives would look out of place. Variety in hair style, nose length, shoulder pad sizes or skin color is good, but should not be overdone or overrated.
I appreciate that the lack of racial diversity in Middle Earth can be justified, as it can in countless other fantasy worlds, including HoMM's. To me, it's not about justification. I raised the objection because I see the fantasy genre as the showcase of human imagination, and that imagination has traditionally dazzled in some areas while being stunted in some others. I find this disappointing because it leaves us with a poorer genre, and our culture with a poorer mythology, than what we could have had.

That said, I find the recent trends quite encouraging...

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Feb 2015, 15:53

People seem to feel other people colors exotic, as if they were a completely different race. I like Game of Thrones because it's very 'realistic' in that matter. There are many different people. Well, it can also be so because there are not other things such as elves, dwarves; then it's rather difficult judging if those races should exist, the author would describe humans more poorly - which makes me wonder back to the first statement. Are these additional races being used as substitutes of those 'exotic' people?

Return to “Heroes VII”