Harm touch?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Harm touch?

Unread postby Metathron » 18 Dec 2007, 18:31

I am playing a single scenario as the necromancer. The current week is week of the cyclops so several stacks of cyclops have spawned all over the map. I raised a wraith earlier and attacked the cyclops hoping to score some easy victories with my wraiths' harm touch ability, but nothing happened?

What the frell?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Dec 2007, 21:08

Did you activate the ability?
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

P0i50Z
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby P0i50Z » 18 Dec 2007, 21:10

I had the same problem with a Pit Lord once, and I still don't know the reason, either.It's a good subject, Metathron.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 18 Dec 2007, 21:12

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Did you activate the ability?
Harm touch has to be activated? I don't remember seeing the special ability button light up, but I'm probably wrong.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Dec 2007, 21:19

Yeap. Click on the helmet icon and select your target.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 18 Dec 2007, 21:56

Blood rage can cancel out effects like the pit lords vorpal sword. I don't think it would cancel harm touch and neutrals don't have rage...

You might not remember that harm touch is activated because the icon (now) only lights up when you are within range of a creature.

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 18 Dec 2007, 22:47

I don't think anything cancels out Vorpal Sword. It always kills at least 1 (extra) unit.

Harm Touch is the same thing (+ Purge), except you have to activate it.

tb5841
Scout
Scout

Unread postby tb5841 » 18 Dec 2007, 22:51

Harm Touch and Vorpal Sword always add enough damage to kill exactly one unit, but Blood Rage will then absorb 50% of this (or whatever the percentage is). Harm Touch can definitely kill less than one creature this way. And yes, it needs to be activated...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 20 Dec 2007, 16:36

Mlai wrote:I don't think anything cancels out Vorpal Sword. It always kills at least 1 (extra) unit.
Test it. It's easy enough to set up a duel with those creatures.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 20 Dec 2007, 20:28

I think that in fact the Rage kinda bugs the game system. Abilities like Vorpal Sword or Harm Touch act like the heroes attacks, aka they don't cause a fixed damage value, but they kill X creatures exactly.
This value X is converted into X x the creature's HP and the creature then takes exactly that value as damage :

Vorpal Sword on a Cyclops stack will cause 220 damage (and so will Harm Touch).
Vorpal Sword on a Paokaïs stack will cause 120 damage (and so will Harm Touch).

A lvl 21 hero will kill 1.033 Cyclops,so he will deal 227 dmg to a stack of Cyclops, while he'll kill 1.400 Paokaïs and deal only 168 dmg to a stack of Paokaïs.

The problem is that Rage will kick in for a Cyclops after these values are calculated.

How many times did I attack Cyclops with a hero, the pointer telling me that I'll kill 1 creature and in the end, none died !!!

Same thing happens to Harm Touch for sure, I've seen it happen. So your Wraith harmtouches the cyclops and deals 220 dmg but the rage absorbs up to 80% of the damage (with ultimate level). So you wasted your attack for only dealing 44dmg to the cyclops.

What I fail to understand though is that if I understood well, Metathron fought neutral Cyclops that spawned from a week of Cyclops ... they should have no rage :|

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 20 Dec 2007, 21:10

Nelgirith wrote:What I fail to understand though is that if I understood well, Metathron fought neutral Cyclops that spawned from a week of Cyclops ... they should have no rage :|
No, they had no rage, I merely forgot that harm touch has to be activated.

Sarvi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

activating Harmtouch etc

Unread postby Sarvi » 21 Dec 2007, 11:36

You might already know this, but Harm Touch and similar things can be activated by hitting the C key (c for cast)....
Ach wie schoen das niemand weiss....

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Dec 2007, 11:53

I remember how annoyed i was first time i wanted to use Harm Touch... i couldn't figure out why the Special Ability icon wasn't lit up... took me a while to quit and just fight... then about half way through the combat i noticed that the icon lit up... WTF couldn't they just leave it always lit and just leave the glowy fist to disappear when it's out of range? :mad:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 21 Dec 2007, 20:57

ThunderTitan wrote:I remember how annoyed i was first time i wanted to use Harm Touch... i couldn't figure out why the Special Ability icon wasn't lit up... took me a while to quit and just fight... then about half way through the combat i noticed that the icon lit up... WTF couldn't they just leave it always lit and just leave the glowy fist to disappear when it's out of range? :mad:
...And then have people complaining that they have to count squares every time they think about using it, since they don't know if they are in range. I think having a special ability greyed out when it cannot be used is perfectly fine. In fact, I prefer it this way. In my current campaign, I kept forgetting that Curse of the Netherworld doesn't work on demonic forces. The fact the spell was greyed out in my spellbook helped me save a lot of time.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Dec 2007, 17:21

Oh because counting squares is way easier then just pushing the button and seeing if the fist reaches the enemy... and i preferred the old way of the spell saying it won't affect anyone when you pres on it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”