My rushed impressions of Expansion Pack

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Mithras
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mithras » 17 Nov 2006, 10:03

Romanov77 wrote:Therefore guys we have a HUGE bug here.
Marzhin wrote:Not really a "BUG", more a bad case of laziness. But hey, that's Nival.

Hey, but don't forget some people always have to grump they even claim a typing error as if it would be like a capital sin.

By the way I play pc-games for nearly 25 years and have never seen any bugfree program !
For me H5 runs fine and I never noticed any major bugs !
It's only Rock 'n Roll (but I like it)
Proud bearer of the caladont-nerd plaque

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 17 Nov 2006, 10:22

I made a quick try yesterday to see if the mod I'm currently working on still works with the add-on. I put my pak file in the new "dataa1" directory and it works just fine.
that's good to hear.

means squat for all the existing mods though, each will have to be checked against the new data files. especially ones that modify lines in existing large data files, like ones that use default.xdb, for example.

most will probably work OK, but need updated timestamps, some will likely need to be reworked entirely.

some will work as is, as no data files were affected in the new expansion pack.
There is a bunch of new MP maps and new scenarios. Maybe you should have done what is advised on the official forum : backup all your custom files, and make a clean install of Heroes V before installing the add-on ?
well, that would be wonderful if i ever visited the official forums. I found them to be lacking, so never bothered going there past the first month the game was out. why should I? It should certainly be no more a requirement for successful instalation of the exapansion pack than a visit to CH.

it's no excuse for not having a message pop up in the begginning, or including at least a readme file that mentions the same issue now, is it?

dam*n, but these guys are sloppy. perhaps the sloppiest developers I've run across in quite a while.

the expansion certainly did NOT indicate any errors in the install log, or on screen after i finished installing it.

go figure.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 17 Nov 2006, 10:30

By the way I play pc-games for nearly 25 years and have never seen any bugfree program !
For me H5 runs fine and I never noticed any major bugs !
that's nice.

go check your "findings" against the confirmed buglist sticked at the top of this forum, and see how many you actually "noticed".

and if you've been playing PC games for 25 years, your memory must be awfully selective about which games had bugs and which games didn't.

this game ranks not in the top 10 of my sh*t list, but it definetly fits in the top 20.

and yes, I'm one of those "anal retentive" types that thinks spelling and grammar in a professionally released program counts.

no excuse for it, really, especially with how easy it is to spell check anything in any language these days.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 17 Nov 2006, 10:37

Sir_Toejam wrote:
There is a bunch of new MP maps and new scenarios. Maybe you should have done what is advised on the official forum : backup all your custom files, and make a clean install of Heroes V before installing the add-on ?
well, that would be wonderful if i ever visited the official forums. I found them to be lacking, so never bothered going there past the first month the game was out. why should I? It should certainly be no more a requirement for successful instalation of the exapansion pack than a visit to CH.

it's no excuse for not having a message pop up in the begginning, or including at least a readme file that mentions the same issue now, is it?

dam*n, but these guys are sloppy. perhaps the sloppiest developers I've run across in quite a while.

the expansion certainly did NOT indicate any errors in the install log, or on screen after i finished installing it.

go figure.
Errr, I didn't mean to insult you or anything. I was just trying to figure why you didn't see the maps. It may be another problem entirely.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 17 Nov 2006, 10:43

sorry, it's been a long night.

I'm in charge of the mod section on CH, so looking at the mountain of work ahead is gettin me a bit down.

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 17 Nov 2006, 10:48

Eternor wrote:Also, it seems they forgot to add a music track for the new snow terrain.
Uh, that's bad! Music/Sound is a major factor for the game experience for me!
Sir_Toejam wrote: why, oh why, did they have to duplicate and modify all the original data files, and put them in an entirely NEW directory??? It's gonna take some effort to recheck all the mods now, for sure. I don't think just timestamping them is gonna work for all of them.
*sigh*
Does that mean that HoF isn't quite an "addon" but a seperate program that requires H5 to play?
And that we have to get and take care of ALL OUR MODS for two versions now????!!!!

This can't be true, really, i'm pretty p***ed now!

So this could also mean, that if a second expansion comes out, we can switch between 3 discs, 3 mod requirements and other stuff that is NOT "downwards compatible" ?

I longed for Hammers of Fate but some of the news do really hurt!
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 17 Nov 2006, 10:53

Does that mean that HoF isn't quite an "addon" but a seperate program that requires H5 to play?
And that we have to get and take care of ALL OUR MODS for two versions now????!!!!
take a gander for yourself...

all the "new" datafiles are found in a totally separate directory:

E:\Heroes of Might and Magic V\dataa1

the bin directory is also dupicated in the same way.

I haven't even looked to see if the original data.pak file is simply duplicated straight from the original version, or if they have changed lines in it.

I'm hoping it's a straight dupe, and we simply have all the original data.pak files, plus the new ones for HOF, put into the new directory.

that would make things easier, at least.

only one way to find out...

*sigh*.

that's testing over 30 mods for me.

edit:

ok, it's looking a bit more promising; it looks like all the the original data paks (patch versions, that is) are duped straight from the original. However, the text paks ARE different.

that should mean most of the mods will work without having to change anything, except for the ones like "sev" that use the text paks.

I hope.

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 17 Nov 2006, 11:29

Sir_Toejam wrote: ok, it's looking a bit more promising; it looks like all the the original data paks (patch versions, that is) are duped straight from the original. However, the text paks ARE different.
that should mean most of the mods will work without having to change anything, except for the ones like "sev" that use the text paks.

I hope.
We all do :D
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 17 Nov 2006, 13:25

Marzhin wrote:Some of the new portraits are a bit less detailed than before, but calling them anime-ish is going a bit far.
Perhaps I should have narrowed it only to the females, but they definitely look ugly and anime-ish to me.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 17 Nov 2006, 14:50

Gotta get this game anyway :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Nov 2006, 15:15

Would have never expected you to buy an expasion full of dwarves.... :rolleyes:

So, is the line-up all male or do Ashanian dwarven women have beards?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 17 Nov 2006, 15:17

ThunderTitan wrote:Would have never expected you to buy an expasion full of dwarves.... :rolleyes:

So, is the line-up all male or do Ashanian dwarven women have beards?
There are dwarven women, and they have no beard.

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 17 Nov 2006, 16:37

So if we have 2 separate gamefiles... it means that optimisation mentioned will only apply if HoF one is ran...

And i hoped im gona replay 6 original campaigns with increased framerate .. :(

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 17 Nov 2006, 20:23

I took a look at the resource costs for the dwarves and I see something unpleasant at first sight:Building the cr dwellings up to tier 5 requires 15 gems.And to build tier 6 20 more.Even though it's a good unit with interesting potential and rune combos,HOW ON EARTH IS THIS SUPPOSED TO WORK OUT?Even the resource silo gives crystals.So when are we gonna build them,week 4?5? Let's not forget the rune guild and rune requirements for some(revival and spell stealing ones) Fine rune can help but only so much.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 17 Nov 2006, 20:27

Resource costs will be changed in 2.1. The shift will go to more Crystals needed.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 17 Nov 2006, 20:30

What were my guesses about the resource cost again?I want to see if I was right :devil:

Found it.Man,was I wrong :hoo:

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 17 Nov 2006, 20:41

Good enough.I had noticed that crystal is not needed much and hoped for such a solution.Still what's wrong with these people?They can't have been testing it enough to make it like this and certainly display no familiarity about how a faction can play with its requirements :disagree:
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 17 Nov 2006, 21:27

I made it to Chapter 5 of 1st campaign and so far the game is VERY enjoyable, especially the new music and snowy environment. Freyda turns out to be what Isabel was supposed to become. :)

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 17 Nov 2006, 21:33

ThunderTitan wrote: So, is the line-up all male or do Ashanian dwarven women have beards?
See for your self.

Fortress heroes

Wulfstan is a member of the Winterwind clan of Dwarves; he is strong and inured to the extreme conditions of the Dwarven mountains (not many Dwarves venture outside their subterranean cities). His travels in the exterior have also made him friendly with other peoples, a fact that for some more conservative elements is equivalent to being tainted. Having embarrassed the king once too often with his plain language and undiplomatic opinions, he has been more or less banished to the frontier where he is the captain of an important garrison.

Svea spent her youth in the towns of the Silver League as part of the Dwarves' small embassy in the land of the Wizards. But while other Dwarves, depressed by their stay in the foreign country, were giving way to homesickness, Svea spent her time studying all the mysteries of the League’s magical art. The outcome of her studies was the mastery -- unusual for a Dwarf -- of Lightning Magic.

This child of famous stonemasons did not turn out as expected. Instead of shaping the rock, Inga claimed to be able to "hear" it. Growing up, she spent so much of her time with the Rune Priests, studying the mysterious songs she heard in the bedrock, that she left her uncomprehending family to join them. Her attunement to the hidden whisperings of Arkath has helped her develop into an outstanding leader of the Rune Priests.

Though a good man, Tolghar lives in constant fear: fear that he is not good enough for his people; fear that he is not pure enough for his god; fear that he may be taking the wrong decisions; fear that the chaos surrounding his country will eventually affect him. He is easily manipulated by counsellors and kin who have learnt to play his fears like a "bhak-zad" -- the Dwarven pipe organ that uses the hot air from lava vents to send bass notes echoing across their great caverns.

Karli spent many a year in the underworld smithies, studying ancient formulae and experimenting with various alloys and components in order to create the finest weapons possible. The warriors led by Karli have the best-balanced arms, giving them noticeable advantages in the battlefield.

Rolf is as at ease in the court as he is in the saddle. He is an accomplished courtier and certainly an adequate, if not outstanding, fighter. He is an important member of the clan, but is too politically astute to let the concerns of the outside get in the way of his political career. To be blunt: Rolf wants to be king. To do this he must prove his worth to all of the six clans who will select Tolghar's heir. As such, he is entirely content that his dangerously competent half-brother Wulfstan is not around to mess up his plans.

Helmar began his miitary career as a fighting Rune Priest and was prominent among his brother soldiers for his austerity, his asceticism and his fanatical hatred of his enemies. Helmar’s superiors soon took note and began to entrust him with the command of small units. Helmar learned how to spread his rage to his warriors, and is now famed as a Warlord whose troops are fierce and merciless in battle.

During the War Under the Mountain, it fell to Ingvar to protect Frostclef Pass. Only a handful of the three hundred Defenders survived, most of those from Ingvar’s unit. Since then, the Warlord has become known as one of the Stone Halls' greatest commanders, and simple warriors -- the Defenders -- are his steadfast supporters in all his battles.

(Dwarven King's Evil Counsellor, Deepflame clan) Hangvul views himself as the sole thing that keeps the empire on an even keel. As a result, he considers it his dragon-given duty to ensure that King Tolghar follows his recommendations. Hangvul lost an eye and an arm in wars against the Dark Elves, and he fashioned himself new ones out of magic and steel. The results of this on his personality are enormous -- from his fanatical, racist hatred of other factions to his unshakeable belief in his own convictions and talents.

The tame white owl, Trolinga, who slumbers peacefully on Erling's shoulder, was with him when Erling returned from an extended winter trapping expedition. Questions about it meet only with a secretive smile. As well as the owl, Erling returned from that journey with a profound knowledge of Dwarven Rune Magic, and many Dwarves wonder just exactly where he went that winter, and who he met.

Arkath the Dragon of Fire favours Brand, a sombre and unsociable Warlord whose face is hidden by a red cloth. It is rumoured that, in his youth, Brand made a mistake when experimenting with the Runes and suffered terrible scorches. This accident, however, did not deter him from continuing his studies. It is for his persistence and devotion that Arkath blesses him, rewarding him with supernatural ability in Rune Magic.

Among the Dwarves’ most amazing heroines stands Ebba, small and ruthless, who was brought up by a family of bears. When she first appeared among them, few recognised that this nubbin of feral frenzy was in fact a Dwarf. But Ebba soon gained prestige and even the loyalty and adoration of those stern warriors of the North, the Bear Riders.

Haven heroes

An excessively fanatical priest of Elrath with delusions of grandeur, Alaric was easily seduced by Biara-as-Isabel and her promises of power and glory. Forsaking Elrath's worship - even if not entirely realising that he did so - Alaric has been drawn further and further into Biara's web of persecution, murder and paranoia.

Biara is a loose cannon looking for a target. Having managed to sneak her way into the rule of the Griffin Empire, she oscillates between happy/gloating and insecure/fearful. Given Biara's bloodlust and rages, this creates the worst possible environment for those subject to her whims...

Though Duncan is from an ancient family whose lands (and blood) come from none other than the fabled Falcon dynasty, as a youth his heart longed not for the sumptuous halls of royal palaces but for expanses of sunlit fields, for dusty roads and for the adventures that lay in wait. Impatient with aristocracy and aristocrats, Duncan devoted his life to wandering, and there are few places left in the Kingdom which he hasn’t visited yet.

Queen of the Griffin Empire, Isabel was the unwitting victim of the centuries-old plans of the Demon Sovereign. Luckily, she was saved by troops of Rangers, Wizards, Warlocks and Knights from Sheogh itself in the final moments of the war that bears her name. Though she has literally been through hell, her faith has remained steady and her troops benefit from her holy blessings.

Once a loyal captain of the Griffin Empire, Laszlo's desire for glory was twisted by Biara over a period of a few years. Warping his love for battle into a lust for blood and his search for adulation into a need to be recognised by her and her alone, Biara now has total control over Laszlo's motivations. He is no longer a tough but respected leader of soldiers, but a cruel and demanding officer who views even his own troops as fodder.

Lady Ornella is a high ranking member of the Bull Duchy, who controls the southeastern regions of the Griffin Empire. During Queen Isabel's War her proximity to Heresh and the Silver Cities brought her into frequent contact with leaders from those factions, particularly the Vampire Lord Giovanni. Allies and friends, she maintained contact with him even after the alliance between Isabel and Markal fell apart.

Andreas

Lorenzo

Valeria

Dungeon heroes

Ylaya is a Keeper of the Law for the Shadowbrand clan of Dark Elves. As such, her life has been described as levels of religious piousness, devotion, and training in the arts of Dragon Magic. A respected matriarch in a position of responsibility, she is devoted to her dragon-goddess Malassa. Ylaya lacks experience as a military commander, however, so she relies on the unfailing support of her sisters, the matrons and matriarchs of Ygg-Chall.

Very little was left of the Soulscar clan once Raelag had finished with them. Among the few survivors was Thralsai. Keeping a low profile during Queen Isabel's war to ensure his own survival, once he returned home thoughts of family and vengeance began to gnaw at him. Slowly consolidating his power, Thralsai was waiting for a moment to break forth... and then Shadya came.

Necropolis heroes

Giovanni was once a minor count of the Bull Duchy, but too far removed from the ruling line to hope for a position of importance. He ended up seeking power in a different way, following his sister Lucretia into the arts of the Necromancers. Now a powerful Vampire Lord, Giovanni controls an important region on the border with the Griffin Empire.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 17 Nov 2006, 21:43

Really, thiese potraits do look childish.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”