Likes and dislikes...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
blueparrot1966
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Likes and dislikes...

Unread postby blueparrot1966 » 29 May 2006, 18:02

I know some of this has already been gone over, but I just thought I'd throw out some snapshot impressions of the choices they made, art and sound wise.

-I think I feel an overall WoW influence in the look of the game, and I know not everyone digs that, but it's fine by me.

-Griffins were always one of my favorite units in H3, and I'm glad they're so prominent this time around. But I don't know how I feel about the Armored upgrades. Battle dive is a very cool ability, but Griffons in plate mail just don't seem right to me.

-The heroes and their and animations in battle and on the adventure map are fantastic. Beautiful. They look kind of chunky up close in the cut scenes, but what the heck, this isn't an FPS.

-I think the Iron and Steel Golems look fantastic.

-The gargoyles, on the other hand, suck.

-The footmen are ok, but why do they sound like trolls or orcs?

-The figure used for the Squires should be switched with the one used for the Cavaliers. The squires are too fancy, they cavaliers too plain. You're telling me mr. Gilded Great Helm has to walk and mr. chain coif is the mounted one? Wrong wrong wrong...

-I like the way they've redone shooters. They can retaliate, and the ranged combat animations look great, especially from the inferno types.

-All of the undead troops I've seen are very cool. Nice sickly green glow. Those ghosts are a pain...

Anyway, those are just a few of my totally random, incomplete thoughts as I've been playing.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Likes and dislikes...

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 May 2006, 18:21

blueparrot1966 wrote: -I like the way they've redone shooters. They can retaliate, and the ranged combat animations look great, especially from the inferno types.
No they cannot.Only the succubi can retaliate.

blueparrot1966
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby blueparrot1966 » 29 May 2006, 18:24

Oh yeah? That's too bad, I thought the archers weren't retaliating because I'd already used 'em or something. Would've been a nice touch.

Minmaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Minmaster » 29 May 2006, 18:30

what i miss about shooters is that you cant protect them as well anymore. by that i mean, you cant block the archer with another unit infront of it. now ranged attacks can shoot anyone where as in the past, you cant hit em if they are covered by another unit.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 18:49

Minmaster wrote:now ranged attacks can shoot anyone where as in the past, you cant hit em if they are covered by another unit.
Well H4 is in the past, but it's the only HoMM where you could do that.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 29 May 2006, 19:27

Battle dive is a very cool ability, but Griffons in plate mail just don't seem right to me.
The upgraded griffin looks outright silly to me. The helmet and especially those braids of hair, if that's what they are. I keep waiting for Pippi Longstocking to pop from under there. :)
what i miss about shooters is that you cant protect them as well anymore. by that i mean, you cant block the archer with another unit infront of it. now ranged attacks can shoot anyone where as in the past, you cant hit em if they are covered by another unit.

*sigh* Yes. It makes little sense for a stack of attacking ranged creatures to just ignore a certain stack in front of the targeted shooters, and simply shoot through the stack blocking them. Yet another obvious advantage of H4 Ubi & Nival chose to ignore for (the unfounded and irrational) fear it might turn buyers away.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Blocking arrows

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 29 May 2006, 19:44

All the creatures angle their shots over the walls, why not angle them over intervening units? That's not really a major issue for me, that you cannot block ranged attacks with meat shields.

My random thought is that I can beat campaign and scenario maps but I keep getting destroyed on multiplayer maps played in single player mode. Well it takes time to learn, and I'm improving.

Have fun.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 19:48

Metathron wrote: The upgraded griffin looks outright silly to me. The helmet and especially those braids of hair, if that's what they are. I keep waiting for Pippi Longstocking to pop from under there. :)
I actualy like the critter. Looks like a Digimon that got lost and ended up in the wrong game. Imperiagriffinumon. ;)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Blocking arrows

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 May 2006, 19:56

PhoenixReborn wrote:All the creatures angle their shots over the walls, why not angle them over intervening units? That's not really a major issue for me, that you cannot block ranged attacks with meat shields.
Well thats also whats wrong.Walls should block shooters.Why not instead give some units the specialty of shooting over obstacles(archers and titans should have those,but not magi).

Minmaster
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Blocking arrows

Unread postby Minmaster » 29 May 2006, 20:29

DaemianLucifer wrote:
PhoenixReborn wrote:All the creatures angle their shots over the walls, why not angle them over intervening units? That's not really a major issue for me, that you cannot block ranged attacks with meat shields.
Well thats also whats wrong.Walls should block shooters.Why not instead give some units the specialty of shooting over obstacles(archers and titans should have those,but not magi).
exactly...how the heck do units outside walls know whats inside the walls to aim for?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 29 May 2006, 20:46

Well it works for archers; if you shoot a hail of arrows over the walls in a wide area you're likely to hit something with a few arrows. Should be a stiff penalty though, no more than 1\8 of normal damage. And then there are some shooters that really shouldn't be able to hit over walls at all, like crossbows.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 29 May 2006, 20:50

You're already doing half damage, which I guess is from the fact that you're missing with half of them. Some knowledge of where the enemy is would be easy to get with flyers or magic, so you're not shooting totally into darkness. And why shouldn't a crossbow be able to shoot over a wall? Quarrels are affected by gravity just as well as arrows...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 May 2006, 20:52

Gaidal Cain wrote:You're already doing half damage, which I guess is from the fact that you're missing with half of them. Some knowledge of where the enemy is would be easy to get with flyers or magic. And Why shouldn't a crossbow be able to shoot over a wall? Quarrels are affected by gravity just as well as arrows...
GC is right.But its the liches and succubi that shouldnt be able to shoot over walls.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 29 May 2006, 21:04

Everything is affected by gravity, but crossbowbolts are much less suited than arrows for the steeply arched approach needed to get over a wall. Not to mention that with your typical crossbow it's much harder to adjust the force the projectile is shot with to accomodate for range and height, like you can with a bow. Not too important when the target is in front, as then you shot more or less straight forward. But for aiming over a wall a crossbowbolt is most likely to just fly off into the woods or somesuch.

But that is hardly the point, the point is that for some creatures it seems very odd that you can shoot creatures behind a wall. And half damage seems nowhere near enough a penalty for 1) not having visual contact with the target and 2) having to aim in a huge arch.

But that's all overshadowed by the knights charging *through* the wall, so I guess it's allright.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 May 2006, 22:04

Minmaster wrote:what i miss about shooters is that you cant protect them as well anymore. by that i mean, you cant block the archer with another unit infront of it.
One unit can. The squire, I believe?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 29 May 2006, 22:07

Minmaster wrote:what i miss about shooters is that you cant protect them as well anymore. by that i mean, you cant block the archer with another unit infront of it. now ranged attacks can shoot anyone where as in the past, you cant hit em if they are covered by another unit.
You know what bothers me. In HIII you could block your archers with units in a way that enemy melee fighters couldn't reach them. In H5 units can attack in 9 directions. Because of that there are a lot of gaps and oportunities which enemies can use to attack your precious shooters. Blocking is harder now. This fact reduces the strategy value of the game a bit...

As for blocking in HIV. Because of the isometric view there were a lot of strange and frustrating situations...no I'll pass with this one...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 May 2006, 22:07

Kalah wrote:One unit can. The squire, I believe?
It only boost your defense against shooters,but it doesnt protect you completely.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”